Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 8.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
66.67%
6 66.67%
Warriors
33.33%
3 33.33%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 40: DAL (25-15) @ GSW (9-33) | 124-97 win
(01-15-2020, 12:54 AM)philjuan1 Wrote: So a lot of you finally got what you wanted. Luka isn't scoring as often but they're winning.
Works for me. Big Grin
Like Reply
(01-15-2020, 12:54 AM)philjuan1 Wrote: So a lot of you finally got what you wanted. Luka isn't scoring as often but they're winning.

don't think its got what we want per se, its just not feasible for him to do it all night in and night out alone. thats why we gotta mix up the squad using everyone we have utilizing the SIZE, skill and "depth" of this team. That plus good defense was how you win games/stay close in the playoffs when your alpha is struggling/game planned against and cant get the ball etc.
Like Reply
It is not about Luka scoring or not scoring as much as about Luka taking what the defense gives him for the most part, and about not jacking up difficult 3s. That’s why I keep saying he needs to play more like Jokic and less like Harden.

Even the GS game is not a good one. Team still shot a very poor percentage from 3. I guess they are determined to live and die this way. Won’t work against good teams
Like Reply

So much wrong with this post!!!

For the season:
  • Luka takes 20 shots in 33 minutes for 0.61 shots/minute
  • Luka scores 29 points in 33 minutes for 0.88 points/minute
Last night:
  • Luka took 19 shots in 27 minutes for 0.70 shots/minute
but he shot poorly!

If he had shot his season averages of 0.47 / 0.32  / 0.78 (2PA / 3PA / FT),

2PA: 10 shots x 0.47 = 9 pts
3PA:  9 shots x 0.32 = 9 pts
FT:    8 shots x 0.78 = 6 pts,

he would have scored 24 pts.
  • That's 24 points in 27 minutes for 0.89 points/minute
To Recap:

For the season Luka takes............. 0.61 shots per minute
Last night Luka took........ ..............0.70 shots per minute

For the season Luka scores............ 0.88 points per minute
Last night, Luka would have scored 0.89 points per minute, if he would have shot his season averages

One difference in his game, though:

Last night he tallied 2 assists in 27 minutes for..... 0.07 assists/minute, an assist every 14.3 minutes
This season he tallies 9.6 assists in 33 minutes for 0.29 assists/minute, an assist every 3.4 minutes

So, no, he didn't actually play like "we" want him to.

(01-15-2020, 12:32 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 12:25 AM)mtrot Wrote: Well, he certainly doesn't against GS.  I'll reserve judgement until next time he goes up against the Lakers or Bucks.  Also, this more diversified offensive scheme is helping.

I need to do a bit of research tomorrow. I think he's shooting like 80% over the last 10 games

Powell is shooting 82% over the last 6 games.

In the last 6 games he's taken 44 shots and missed 8.
Like Reply
I worked hard on that post up above this morning. Did math and stuff. And y'all didn't even read it, did ya.
Like Reply
(01-15-2020, 05:51 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I worked hard on that post up above this morning. Did math and stuff. And y'all didn't even read it, did ya.

I did but I think the assists numbers are actually proving the point that the team can be succesful without Luka dominating the ball. I certainly want our best player to handle the ball but again I don´t want him to be James Harden. Yesterday wasn´t the sweet spot and Luka probably should get a little bit more onball time but it was an improvement over some of the Luka hero ball games we saw in the last few weeks.
It probably isn´t easy to balance Lukas role vs increased usage for other ballhandlers (Wright, Brunson, Curry) and it seems like RC is trying some new things again.
What I would like to see and others have mentioned it as well is more Luka postups. Especially in the 4th quarter. What I haven´t seen at all is Luka as the ball screener. Wonder why they haven´t tried it.

In general I think that Luka desperately needs the allstar break. He isn´t in top shape right now and it shows. A combination of him being banged up and fatigued. But also mental exhaustion. All players go through hot and cold streaks but some tendencies are obvious. Declining FT% and 2-point FG%.
Like Reply
(01-15-2020, 06:14 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I did but I think the assists numbers are actually proving the point that the team can be succesful without Luka dominating the ball. I certainly want our best player to handle the ball but again I don´t want him to be James Harden. Yesterday wasn´t the sweet spot and Luka probably should get a little bit more onball time but it was an improvement over some of the Luka hero ball games we saw in the last few weeks.
It probably isn´t easy to balance Lukas role vs increased usage for other ballhandlers (Wright, Brunson, Curry) and it seems like RC is trying some new things again.
What I would like to see and others have mentioned it as well is more Luka postups. Especially in the 4th quarter. What I haven´t seen at all is Luka as the ball screener. Wonder why they haven´t tried it.

In general I think that Luka desperately needs the allstar break. He isn´t in top shape right now and it shows. A combination of him being banged up and fatigued. But also mental exhaustion. All players go through hot and cold streaks but some tendencies are obvious. Declining FT percentages and 2-point FG%.

Good stuff!
Like Reply