Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 64: Dallas Mavericks (35-28) vs. Detroit Pistons (10-52)
Gafford:
24 minutes
17 points
7 rebounds
4 blocks
7-7 FG
+22 (team high)

Daniel Gafford has made 19 straight field goals in the past three games, that is the longest consecutive field goals made in Mavs history.

Daniel Gafford (2023-24): 19
Dereck Lively II (2023-24): 18
Dwight Powell (2021-22): 18

Gafford leads the NBA in field goal percentage.
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, Scott41theMavs, The Jom
Like Reply
First half was really bad, but Mavs showed up in the second one and more or less finished the game in the third quarter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(03-09-2024, 09:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I guess it's worth getting him the record - didn't realize that when I typed the above. 

I still think he needs to come off of the stats crusade a bit. They're not going to give him the MVP until the team starts to win, no matter what his numbers are, so it would behoove him to grow past the Allen Iverson stat chasing, in my humble opinion.

You're correct. All those stats he's putting up, don't mean jack until the team improves to be a title contender.  No MVP will come from a 8 seed. MVP awards will have to wait.

(03-09-2024, 09:34 PM)omahen Wrote: First half was really bad, but Mavs showed up in the second one and more or less finished the game in the third.

They scored 35 pts off 20 Detroit turnovers. That surely helped.
Like Reply
(03-09-2024, 09:36 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: They scored 30 pts off Detroit turnovers. That surely helped.

That was the main difference in the second half. Pistons continued to turn it over. Luka and Kyrie cleaned up their act. Combined for eight turnover in the first half. Only two in the second half.

And as the resident negative nancy. I know it was a high paced game but giving up 124 to the Pistons...that shouldn't happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(03-09-2024, 09:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: That was the main difference in the second half. Pistons continued to turn it over. Luka and Kyrie cleaned up their act. Combined for eight turnover in the first half. Only two in the second half.

And as the resident negative nancy. I know it was a high paced game but giving up 124 to the Pistons...that shouldn't happen.

To be fair, Pistons had 95 halfway through 4th quarter, when the game was already over (Mavs up 25). They scored almost 30 in last 6 minutes. Mavs limited them to 30 combined points in the third quarter and roughly first half of the fourth.
[-] The following 5 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman, Scott41theMavs, Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply
Record or no record, i dont like this blatant stat hunting. Triples double are more fun when they are organic.
Like Reply
Luka's TO's are way up since the trade deadline. Guessing it's likely related to the new guys even though a few are on him. Will probably be awhile until everyone knows what they're doing and where they're supposed to be. Also Ausar Thompson wasn't there after the 1st q which helped specifically in this game.
Like Reply
I suspect Luka’s turnovers are the direct result of the nba ordering refs to call fewer fouls and Luka getting way fewer free throws.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Missed the game. For those who watched, how would you compare Simone Fontecchio's shooting and defense at the SF position to THJ's?
Like Reply
(03-10-2024, 12:20 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: Missed the game. For those who watched, how would you compare Simone Fontecchio's shooting and defense at the SF position to THJ's?

Strong offense. Not a difference maker on D. Tim was actually terrific this game. He got my Dirkie vote.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(03-10-2024, 12:20 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: Missed the game. For those who watched, how would you compare Simone Fontecchio's shooting and defense at the SF position to THJ's?

It’s a tough call, but I feel comfortable declaring that they are both too good to play for Utah.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-10-2024, 02:00 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: It’s a tough call, but I feel comfortable declaring that they are both too good to play for Utah.

[Image: bait-tom-hardy.gif]
Like Reply
It really seems like Luka trusts Gafford already.  He has good hands and has the strength to power up on non dunks.  He really goes after the ball in the air. 

https://youtu.be/JoSbaAz2PfI?si=_G1_DUdR7po9OaLu

The game was already decided but that block on Duren at the rim and then beating him down the court was a 4 point swing.   Hardaway had a look from three but made the nice pass.  In the past, that is probably a three point shot.  To eliminate a dunk and then get a dunk on the other end can be a sequence that turns a competitive game.
Like Reply
(03-09-2024, 09:08 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: No one jumping in the stands? Detroit isn't what it used to be.

It's not just Detroit. The NBA as a whole isn't what it used to be unless Draymond is involved. Too much pandering, no real action.
Like Reply
(03-10-2024, 01:02 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: It really seems like Luka trusts Gafford already.  He has good hands and has the strength to power up on non dunks.  He really goes after the ball in the air. 

https://youtu.be/JoSbaAz2PfI?si=_G1_DUdR7po9OaLu

The game was already decided but that block on Duren at the rim and then beating him down the court was a 4 point swing.   Hardaway had a look from three but made the nice pass.  In the past, that is probably a three point shot.  To eliminate a dunk and then get a dunk on the other end can be a sequence that turns a competitive game.

Don’t roast me for this, but I love the aggression that Gafford brings. He is constantly fighting for rebounds and making his presence felt. I think the Duren foul was committed out of frustration because of how dominant Gafford had been. So…. (This is the don’t roast me part)…

… I’d like to see Gafford keep his spot in the starting lineup even after Lively is back. Give them the same minutes sure, but I’d like to see Gafford start and finish games. He has an aggression and power that Lively just doesn’t have… yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes soog's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(03-10-2024, 08:47 PM)soog Wrote: Don’t roast me for this, but I love the aggression that Gafford brings. He is constantly fighting for rebounds and making his presence felt. I think the Duren foul was committed out of frustration because of how dominant Gafford had been. So…. (This is the don’t roast me part)…

… I’d like to see Gafford keep his spot in the starting lineup even after Lively is back. Give them the same minutes sure, but I’d like to see Gafford start and finish games. He has an aggression and power that Lively just doesn’t have… yet.

They will probably stick with it.   I think I am fine with that.   Lively still needs at least 20 minutes a night.   

My concern with this starting lineup is shooting though.   I think good teams are going to pack the paint and make Jones and PJ make open shots.   I just feel this could lead to slow starts.   May impact rim running as well as the wings can help out.
Like Reply
(03-10-2024, 08:47 PM)soog Wrote: Don’t roast me for this, but I love the aggression that Gafford brings. He is constantly fighting for rebounds and making his presence felt. I think the Duren foul was committed out of frustration because of how dominant Gafford had been. So…. (This is the don’t roast me part)…

I'm with you on the Gafford love. His energy is truly a difference maker. He definitely has a presence when he's on the court.

I'm changing lanes and getting off the road though as soon as you mentioned Gafford over Lively when closing games. Although if we're being realistic, when Maxi is healthy and rolling, he's going to be the one closing games.

Lively has had a helluva season and recency bias might be playing a role here imo. Lively also brings incredible energy. He's also a fantastic finisher. He's also a fighter for rebounds. But he also does so much more! 

I'm giddy the Mavs have so many options at the 5 now.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-11-2024, 11:49 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Lively has had a helluva season and recency bias might be playing a role here imo. Lively also brings incredible energy. He's also a fantastic finisher. He's also a fighter for rebounds. But he also does so much more! 

Love Lively, but his rebounding has crashed and burned since his return from injury. Probably the rookie wall. He gets a pass.

His physical profile and his smarts make him a superior player to Gafford.
Like Reply
(03-11-2024, 12:00 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Love Lively, but his rebounding has crashed and burned since his return from injury. Probably the rookie wall. He gets a pass.

His physical profile and his smarts make him a superior player to Gafford.

The problem with using rebounding to prop up Gafford (not that this is what you're doing here) is that I haven't found Gafford to be a very good rebounder. He's definitely a good OFFENSIVE rebounder, but I'm in the camp that doesn't care about that. I'd much rather prioritize transition defense, especially for the Mavs, because it's their achilles heel rather clearly. There seems to be a trend of valuing offensive rebounding again across the league, but I'm not buying it yet, personally. 

His (Gafford's) defensive rebounding has left much to be desired for me, so far. I actually think Lively is better in that area.

I think Gafford brings something to the table, but what I've observed so far is that Lively, playing at any point in the game, with any lineup combination almost, makes a huge impact. HUGE. I think he's already a top 10 center in the league with room to improve very quickly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-11-2024, 01:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The problem with using rebounding to prop up Gafford (not that this is what you're doing here) is that I haven't found Gafford to be a very good rebounder. He's definitely a good OFFENSIVE rebounder, but I'm in the camp that doesn't care about that. I'd much rather prioritize transition defense, especially for the Mavs, because it's their achilles heel rather clearly. There seems to be a trend of valuing offensive rebounding again across the league, but I'm not buying it yet, personally. 

His (Gafford's) defensive rebounding has left much to be desired for me, so far. I actually think Lively is better in that area.

I think Gafford brings something to the table, but what I've observed so far is that Lively, playing at any point in the game, with any lineup combination almost, makes a huge impact. HUGE. I think he's already a top 10 center in the league with room to improve very quickly.

No argument with any of this, especially the latter point.
Like Reply