Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next 6 games (12/12 - 12/22)
(12-12-2019, 03:37 AM)omahen Wrote: I would be happy with 3-3 for the next 6 games and then 3-1 to finish the year.
This for me too.
Like Reply
(12-11-2019, 09:43 PM)Lucky Luciano Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 08:55 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 08:45 PM)Lucky Luciano Wrote: 3-2 at worst. 5 and 0 if we really want to show the league that we mean business (Flex)

Those records are a bit... lacking, where a 6-game stretch is concerned. OP is including the Detroit Mexico game, not just the 5 playoff teams.

I see that. I believe Detroit will be a blow out win. Now that we got that out of the way I think the only team on the 10 game stretch coming up that is going to be super slim to win will be the Lakers game on a back to back night.

I can see the Bucks win as well but have confidence we could shock them with a win.

I am hoping we can pull a 8-2 or a 7-3 at worst.

I know the stretch will be tough but we are just a flat out better team than a lot of those good teams. We could easily lose more than half of the games since anything is possible but I am feeling good about a 7-3 outcome.

The Lakers game is after the GSW game, which should be an easy win for the Mavs. So spread the minutes and everyone comes in rested.

I do think the rhythm of 1 game every other night can turn into something good. Let's everyone rest. Bruises heal. And gives time for RC to review tape and help everyone continue to consolidate into a high performance team.
Like Reply
(12-12-2019, 03:37 AM)omahen Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 09:43 PM)Lucky Luciano Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 08:55 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 08:45 PM)Lucky Luciano Wrote: 3-2 at worst. 5 and 0 if we really want to show the league that we mean business (Flex)

Those records are a bit... lacking, where a 6-game stretch is concerned. OP is including the Detroit Mexico game, not just the 5 playoff teams.

I see that. I believe Detroit will be a blow out win. Now that we got that out of the way I think the only team on the 10 game stretch coming up that is going to be super slim to win will be the Lakers game on a back to back night.

I can see the Bucks win as well but have confidence we could shock them with a win.

I am hoping we can pull a 8-2 or a 7-3 at worst.

I know the stretch will be tough but we are just a flat out better team than a lot of those good teams. We could easily lose more than half of the games since anything is possible but I am feeling good about a 7-3 outcome.

Wow. I really admire your confidence after the performance against Kings the last game they played :-) I would be happy with 3-3 for the next 6 games and then 3-1 to finish the year.

I think they were running on fumes. They were playing their second back to back in what 5 days? And we still almost pulled it off. Im sure if Luka would have got the late foul call and was able to hit the free throws we would have won in overtime. The momentum was fully on our side.

I am more so looking at us winning the last what 10 out of 12? ish games. And we played almost every playoff team on the west with a W aside from the Clips and beat Toronto on their run. Stopping the Lakers on their 10 game win streak as well.

I remember years ago we had a similar season and earned a "Streakbusters" nick name after knocking of a Spurs 20 game win streak and a LA 18 game win streak or something like that. I don't really remember the game totals but I am sure a few of you guys remember that. We have a little bit of that in us this season. If we can find a way to beat the Bucks then we for sure should be feeling really good about going deep into the playoffs with the right match ups.

I am not saying we can't get a spanking on this road trip. Its absolutely possible. I am just optimistic about this team. They have given me a lot to believe in after our last 12 games or so.
Like Reply
Any update on Wright's availability?  That second unit just doesn't look the same without him.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1...6340420611
Like Reply
I look at the next five like a first round playoff series. 

3-2 and the Mavs move on to the semi-finals.
Like Reply
There's a good chance we are about to go on a 5 game losing streak. I would think Luka will miss several weeks with a high ankle sprain. I really wish we would have closed the game out tonight with a win. The next 4 games the other team will be able to game plan for no Luka. We won't be able to surprise anyone like tonight. I do think we'll be able to win some games after this 4 game stretch if Luka is still out, but the next 4 are brutal.

I'm proud of the effort tonight, but there's no moral victories. Let's just hope for a quick recovery for Luka!
Like Reply
So what now?

Hate to be negative, but the mavs may lose the next 4 games.

Record will be 17-12, which is still pretty good.

But man, my body's not ready for a losing streak. But we have to prepare.
Like Reply
Folks, the Mavs will play a lot better than they did last night.  Chins up.  The loss of Luka threw them for a loop last night, and they dang near won the game, actually would have won the game with a couple more made free throws. They just have to come out even more aggressive than they have so far with Luka at the helm.
Like Reply
(12-15-2019, 05:34 PM)mtrot Wrote: Folks, the Mavs will play a lot better than they did last night.  Chins up.  The loss of Luka threw them for a loop last night, and they dang near won the game, actually would have won the game with a couple more made free throws. They just have to come out even more aggressive than they have so far with Luka at the helm.
I'm all for positivity, but there's no way the Mavs win more than 1 of the next 4 and I'm 99% sure they'll lose all 4. The flip side of what you're saying is now teams can game plan for a non Luka team. I will be very surprised if we play as well as last night again until we face the Spurs. If we go 2-2 the next 4 games, I'll come back and apologize. 

This team won't be very good until Luka is healthy. That's just the new reality. The hope is to limit the losses best we can until he returns. The Spurs and Warriors games are very winnable without Luka. If Luka is out later, no way we beat the Lakers and we may or may not win in OKC. They are playing better than expected and will be at home. 

If we can go 3-5 over the next 8 assuming Luka doesn't return until early January, I would consider that successful. 4-4 would be outstanding. The good news is we'll be really good again once Luka returns. This will probably kill our chances of winning our division, but we'll still make the playoffs if Luka is healthy going forward.
Like Reply
Anyone who bawls a single tear if the Mavs lose all four of the next four games (assuming Luka plays in none of them or returns too early to make a positive difference) deserves to be taken outside of the AAC and shot in the big toe. Come on. We have a roster that is pretty good in terms of complementarity to Luka, but is clearly a near-bottom-feeder team which additionally has no practice playing as a team without him. We now have one quality NBA starter who is playing at a lower level than we would like due to lengthy injury recovery. Any wins in the next four games should engender pogoing celebrations like when Fin and Ced's Mavs beat the Bulls in '98, because they will involve tremendous individual heroism (which probably involve some non-long-term players' trade values increasing) as well as being triumphs of team chemistry and gelling.
Like Reply
(12-15-2019, 08:15 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Come on. We have a roster that is pretty good in terms of complementarity to Luka, but is clearly a near-bottom-feeder team which additionally has no practice playing as a team without him. We

Clip and save! :-)

Scott, you have produced some if the best crow eating posts of all time. I'm hoping for another one!
Like Reply
(12-15-2019, 08:54 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-15-2019, 08:15 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Come on. We have a roster that is pretty good in terms of complementarity to Luka, but is clearly a near-bottom-feeder team which additionally has no practice playing as a team without him. We

Clip and save! :-)

Scott, you have produced some if the best crow eating posts of all time. I'm hoping for another one!

If you think the Luka-less Mavs have a ghost of a chance against any of the next four opponents, please pass what you're smoking. And I don't give a rats' in terms of eating crow if they win 4 games. They will still have been grossly improbable and earth-shattering upsets. This. Is. A. Terrible. Team. Without. Luka. Period.
Like Reply
(12-15-2019, 10:34 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: And I don't give a rats' in terms of eating crow if they win 4 games. They will still have been grossly improbable and earth-shattering upsets. This. Is. A. Terrible. Team. Without. Luka. Period.

First, I know eating crow doesn't bother you. It's a commendable quality, honestly.

Regarding probabilities, the more firm your declarations, the higher the probability of some good crow eating I think.

:-)
Like Reply
(12-15-2019, 10:56 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-15-2019, 10:34 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: And I don't give a rats' in terms of eating crow if they win 4 games. They will still have been grossly improbable and earth-shattering upsets. This. Is. A. Terrible. Team. Without. Luka. Period.

First, I know eating crow doesn't bother you. It's a commendable quality, honestly.

Regarding probabilities, the more firm your declarations, the higher the probability of some good crow eating I think.

:-)

Now you're just yanking my chain.

Look, my point isn't that you and I and other Mavs fans shouldn't be happy and excited if the Mavs win some of the next 4 games. It's that anyone who whinges when we lose all four (as one or two in this thread seem prepared to do) is both an idiot and a terrible fan. That's my point.
Like Reply
(12-15-2019, 11:14 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: It's that anyone who whinges when we lose all four (as one or two in this thread seem prepared to do) is both an idiot and a terrible fan. That's my point.

Yeah, I know I wasn't addressing your main point. I picked out the part I wanted to joke with you about. Hope that's ok.

Seriously though, my expectation is that the non-Luka Mavs will be a pain in arse for teams. I don't care about the whole "1 subpar starter" thing. I expect them to play hard, to play well coached and to give teams fits. I think they'll play a lot like our bench has played the last few years, sound, unselfish, together and scrappy.

They may get outclassed by superior talent in some of these games, but teams should beware. If they let their guard down because Luka is out, we'll snatch that W.

But I assure you, regarding your main point, that if we lose, folks in the game thread (and in the rest of the forum) will kill Rick and their particular pet whipping boy player.
Like Reply
I don't think anyone should get upset if we lose a lot of games while Luka is out. We should just enjoy whatever victories we can get during this stretch. If we lose a lot, it has nothing to do with RC. This team relies heavily on Luka. Luka is a top player in the NBA so you can't just replace that.
Like Reply
Outstanding game by the Mavs tonight. I couldn't have been more wrong about the non Luka team. I fully expected them to get drilled the next 4 games. I think they can hold the fort down until Luka returns. I don't expect every game to be like this, but we aren't going to be a lottery team without Luka like I thought. I was completely wrong!
Like Reply
(12-15-2019, 11:53 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Seriously though, my expectation is that the non-Luka Mavs will be a pain in arse for teams. I don't care about the whole "1 subpar starter" thing. I expect them to play hard, to play well coached and to give teams fits. I think they'll play a lot like our bench has played the last few years, sound, unselfish, together and scrappy.

They may get outclassed by superior talent in some of these games, but teams should beware. If they let their guard down because Luka is out, we'll snatch that W.

Hey man, nice pre-game post!
Like Reply
(12-16-2019, 11:24 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-15-2019, 11:53 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Seriously though, my expectation is that the non-Luka Mavs will be a pain in arse for teams. I don't care about the whole "1 subpar starter" thing. I expect them to play hard, to play well coached and to give teams fits. I think they'll play a lot like our bench has played the last few years, sound, unselfish, together and scrappy.

Hey man, nice pre-game post!
Smile

(12-15-2019, 05:34 PM)mtrot Wrote: Folks, the Mavs will play a lot better than they did last night.  Chins up.  The loss of Luka threw them for a loop last night, and they dang near won the game, actually would have won the game with a couple more made free throws. They just have to come out even more aggressive than they have so far with Luka at the helm.
Nice pre-game post, man!
Like Reply