Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
PRESEASON GAME 3: DAL vs. Real Madrid
I know it's only the preseason, but this team doesn't even look like a playoff contender at the moment or remotely close to it. They have lowered my expectations from what I've seen and Luka is still the biggest ball hog in the history of the NBA, right there with prime Harden. No championship will ever be won that way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(10-11-2023, 04:17 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Let´s not exaggerate the circumstances. We played eleven guys double figure minutes, but so did Madrid. Our 11 guys were literally the rest of our 15 man roster.

But it´s really not about that. 

Above all the other issues is the fact that Luka is injured after two pre-season games with the same injury that bothered him for the last 10 months. Kyrie didn´t even make it to game two. Whether that´s because he´s really hurt or just can´t be bothered. Both are sh*t reasons, when you just had five months off and signed a $126M contract. Kleber does look shot to pieces physically. There is just nothing here short-term, maybe in 2-3 years, if the young guys exceed expectations.

I don't think our outlook should be that bad based on preseason but I do understand your concerns.  I believe our roster is better than last season so as long as Luka gives us 65 games, we should win more than 40 games this season.

I do think it's fascinating that Richaun Holmes and Maxi look bad thus far.  We dramatically banished Christian Wood then JaVale from our roster.  Mark Cuban insulted them on their way out.  They may both make contributions to better teams than ours this season.  We've got Dwight and a 19-year old rookie as our most viable center tandem.  That's clearly our weakest position.  Christian Wood on a 2-year $10 million dollar deal would be pretty comforting right now.  At the least, we should be looking for a center to take the last 2-way contract. If Dwight is injured or Lively busts, we might even need to make an emergency call to Hassan Whiteside wherever he is in China.
Like Reply
(10-11-2023, 09:42 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I don't think our outlook should be that bad based on preseason but I do understand your concerns.  I believe our roster is better than last season so as long as Luka gives us 65 games, we should win more than 40 games this season.

I do think it's fascinating that Richaun Holmes and Maxi look bad thus far.  We dramatically banished Christian Wood then JaVale from our roster.  Mark Cuban insulted them on their way out.  They may both make contributions to better teams than ours this season.  We've got Dwight and a 19-year old rookie as our most viable center tandem.  That's clearly our weakest position.  Christian Wood on a 2-year $10 million dollar deal would be pretty comforting right now.  At the least, we should be looking for a center to take the last 2-way contract.  If Dwight is injured or Lively busts, we might even need to make an emergency call to Hassan Whiteside wherever he is in China.

If Luka only plays 65 games, no way this team wins 40 games. Mavs aren't good enough to have their top 5 player in the world sit up to 17 games with this roster. To me, that's wishful thinking. Then, factor in Kyrie at 70 games best case, this has the potential to go downhill quickly. I want to enjoy the season and the growth of the young team, but I don't expect a playoff birth this season and people that do, are likely to be disappointed. The West is stacked and unless Luka/Kyrie play 70-75 games (won't happen), no playoffs for this team.
Like Reply
(10-13-2023, 11:08 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: If Luka only plays 65 games, no way this team wins 40 games. Mavs aren't good enough to have their top 5 player in the world sit up to 17 games with this roster. To me, that's wishful thinking. Then, factor in Kyrie at 70 games best case, this has the potential to go downhill quickly. I want to enjoy the season and the growth of the young team, but I don't expect a playoff birth this season and people that do, are likely to be disappointed. The West is stacked and unless Luka/Kyrie play 70-75 games (won't happen), no playoffs for this team.

They won 38 last season and Luka played 66 games.  Kyrie is a much better player than Dinwiddie so that should translate to wins.  Grant Williams is much better than Reggie Bullock.  The end of our bench is also significantly improved.  I believe losing Christian Wood hurts us somewhat.  I think it's a significant loss.  However, I do believe our roster is better than last season.  A significant injury to Luka though would certainly torpedo the season.  

The West is tough but I think we'll finish somewhere between 5th and 10th.

I predict 5th place will require 46 wins.  10th place will be 40.
Like Reply