Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Denver/Minnesota Game 4 Game thread
(05-12-2024, 10:51 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Seems as if the Nuggets have figured out the hot-shot Wolves.

If I was them I'd be nervous.

I'd be really surprised if Denver doesn't win this series now being the defending champs, with the 3 time MVP, and all the momentum with home court advantage once again. I won't be surprised if Minnesota doesn't win another game.
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 09:21 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I'd be really surprised if Denver doesn't win this series now being the defending champs, with the 3 time MVP, and all the momentum with home court advantage once again. I won't be surprised if Minnesota doesn't win another game.

One thing I've come to find out is to not underestimate Anthony Edwards. He and Conley almost brought them back in the 4th. 

The real keys for the wolves is finding a way to slow down Jamal Murray. Stopping him stops Denver's offense in its tracks. Jokic isn't looking to score ever, so taking out the one guy who is will slow the Nuggets down as we saw in games 1 and 2. 

Next is KAT+Gobert eating space. Unfortunately KAT is such a loser relying on him is awful for the Wolves. Gobert should fix that, but he's also shitting the bed.

Crazy how vibes can change in a playoff series so quickley.

All the more reason the Mavs hopefully don't take their 2-1 lead for granted.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Going to be tough for the T'Wolves. They looked dead tired in the 2nd half. Especially Towns and Gobert. And now they are going back to altitude in Denver. Wouldn't be suprised if they are cooked even earlier in game five.
On the other hand. It's really difficult to win three in a row in the playoffs. T'Wolves and OKC are in a similar situation. So far they went all out to slow down the opposing superstar (Jokic/Luka). Doubled/trapped, collapsed on drives/post ups. But in the last two games the role players took advantage of the wide open looks that players like Jokic/Doncic create. As the T'Wolves or OKC coach. Do you change the defensive scheme or dare the role players to beat you again?
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 10:28 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Do you change the defensive scheme or dare the role players to beat you again?

I think that is a very interesting question. In my opinion - if you choose this kind of strategy from day one, you have to expect role players win a couple of games. But can they win four? I mean - they thought this is the best way to beat them. Going to one on one defense is going to a strategy that you thought is a worse one.  I would continue with the tactic, if I am them, perhaps with only a little bit of twists here and there. Stop Luka, Kyrie, PJ and pack the paint and lets see if DJJ can beat us Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 10:28 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Going to be tough for the T'Wolves. They looked dead tired in the 2nd half. Especially Towns and Gobert. And now they are going back to altitude in Denver. Wouldn't be suprised if they are cooked even earlier in game five.
On the other hand. It's really difficult to win three in a row in the playoffs. T'Wolves and OKC are in a similar situation. So far they went all out to slow down the opposing superstar (Jokic/Luka). Doubled/trapped, collapsed on drives/post ups. But in the last two games the role players took advantage of the wide open looks that players like Jokic/Doncic create. As the T'Wolves or OKC coach. Do you change the defensive scheme or dare the role players to beat you again?

At this point, I'd have to dare players like PJ and THJ to keep shooting, although PJ has been on a heater the last two games, and Timmy and Green made key shots.  There comes a time when open shots stop falling for any team. The conundrum for OKC is that if the role players stop making shots, Luka and Ky can heat up in any game.
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 12:49 PM)omahen Wrote: I think that is a very interesting question. In my opinion - if you choose this kind of strategy from day one, you have to expect role players win a couple of games. But can they win four? I mean - they thought this is the best way to beat them. Going to one on one defense is going to a strategy that you thought is a worse one.  I would continue with the tactic, if I am them, perhaps with only a little bit of twists here and there. Stop Luka, Kyrie, PJ and pack the paint and lets see if DJJ can beat us Smile

Does that mean that you double team Luka, Kyrie, and now PJ also?

...while also packing the paint?
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 12:49 PM)omahen Wrote: I think that is a very interesting question. In my opinion - if you choose this kind of strategy from day one, you have to expect role players win a couple of games. But can they win four? I mean - they thought this is the best way to beat them. Going to one on one defense is going to a strategy that you thought is a worse one.  I would continue with the tactic, if I am them, perhaps with only a little bit of twists here and there. Stop Luka, Kyrie, PJ and pack the paint and lets see if DJJ can beat us Smile

The problem with this idea is that role players aren't role players because they shoot a lower percentage, necessarily.  They are role players because they have limited shot creation skills.

If you leave role player Davis Bertans open for a lot of three-pointers, you will most likely pay, because he is an excellent shooter.

In my opinion, it's more a question of how well well our non-shot-creators will shoot.
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 09:21 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I'd be really surprised if Denver doesn't win this series now being the defending champs, with the 3 time MVP, and all the momentum with home court advantage once again. I won't be surprised if Minnesota doesn't win another game.

I'm not sure Minny will win another game. Denver figured out how to clear out the cluttered lane but clearing out one side of the court to give Murray space to work in.

I would definitely rather see Minny than Denver in the WCF facing the Mavs. But, it is what it is. As long as Luka gets some rest in between there I think it will be a great series. Gotta get past OKC first though.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 01:24 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: The problem with this idea is that role players aren't role players because they shoot a lower percentage, necessarily.  They are role players because they have limited shot creation skills.

If you leave role player Davis Bertans open for a lot of three-pointers, you will most likely pay, because he is an excellent shooter.

In my opinion, it's more a question of how well well our non-shot-creators will shoot.

PJ, DJJ and THJ are far from Bertans level of a shooter. THJ is roughly 38 % career shooter and he is the best of the bunch. OKC are obviously hoping this not so great shooters will not make enough shots. Just as they were hoping Lively will not make enough free throws. While THJ, Green and DJJ "delivered" as expected, PJ is the one far above his career makes so far. 

I could agree that leaving any average NBA shooter wiiiide open is not a great strategy, though. Worked for them in game 1, didn't work for them in next two.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • DallasMaverick, mvossman
Like Reply
OKC strategy almost worked in game 3 too. Non Luka/Kyrie guys shot 35 % from three (8 of 23). It was their shooting (and Mavs defense) that let them down. Their non SGA/JDub guys were just 7 of 23 from three.
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 01:44 PM)audiosway Wrote: I'm not sure Minny will win another game. Denver figured out how to clear out the cluttered lane but clearing out one side of the court to give Murray space to work in.

I would definitely rather see Minny than Denver in the WCF facing the Mavs. But, it is what it is. As long as Luka gets some rest in between there I think it will be a great series. Gotta get past OKC first though.

I’m 100% sure I don’t have a clue what’s gonna happen. My predictions on this series are all shot to hell. But didn’t the Mavs have a 7-game series with T-Mac’s Rockets one year where the home team went 0-4 and then 3-3? If memory serves, the last 2 were gigantic blowouts in opposite directions. Anyone remember that?
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
Edwards is not the guy. I know the NBA wants him to be. We need to hope for an upset. We beat the Wolves like a dsrum
Like Reply