Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playoff Rotation
The minutes distribution shows him closing out every quarter. With Kyrie, there’s little need for him to do that in the 1st and 3rd quarter. On the flip side, if that’s the goal, take him out at the 6 min mark and bring him back at the 2 or 3 minute mark. Get good rest, but not so much that he gets cold.

Play him the same amount of minutes, but break them up more.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 03:14 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Only thing I’ve been talking about is playing the full 1st and 3rd quarters. I wish they would break that up so he has more moments to rest his body. Love the thought of playing him 36-38 mpg.

I agree. Hopefully Kidd was thinking of this in particular when he said he’ll tinker with the rotations from now until the playoffs. Either way, it will be difficult not to play Luka and Kyrie ~40 minutes a night in the playoffs, so they’ll have to rest where they can.
Like Reply
What could go wrong playing Dwight and McShaqtin 50% of the minutes at Center?
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 01:26 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: This is always a fun topic ... and illuminates the complexity of saying so-and-so should get more minutes. Certain guys need to be on the floor with certain other guys at certain times ... and guys also need rest. Building a starting lineup is easy, but building an effective lineup after say, the third substitution of the second quarter, is where things get tricky and you realize the trade-offs of getting a guy like Green from something like 24 to 32 minutes.

If you watch the substitution patterns and pay attention to roles both offensively and defensively it becomes apparent that THJ is actually the guy who's being asked to do more and play out of position the most.

You did an excellent job with this entire post.  I do pay attention to this stuff and I think you dead on nailed it.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Reunion Mav, vfromlmf
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 03:37 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: What could go wrong playing Dwight and McShaqtin 50% of the minutes at Center?

By far the weakest link(s) on the roster. That is why I think in the buyout market, they should have targeted a 5 like Noel.

Morris, Bertans & Wood aren’t centers - but here we are.
Like Reply
All I know is that there will be lots and lots of Dwight Powell...whether we like it or not  Sad If Saturday's game was a preview of what Kidd wants to do with a Luka/Kyrie offense, expect Powell to be involved on every play setting screens like he's Amare Stoudemire!
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 03:43 PM)Smitty Wrote: Wood aren’t centers

Wood comes from trees, but big daddy Wood will be holding it down if we are to have any hope in the playoffs. Maxi too.

(02-13-2023, 03:43 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: All I know is that there will be lots and lots of Dwight Powell...whether we like it or not  Sad If Saturday's game was a preview of what Kidd wants to do with a Luka/Kyrie offense, expect Powell to be involved on every play setting screens like he's Amare Stoudemire!

Sickening
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 02:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm also less convinced than others that we're about to go from 20 minutes per for Green right to 40 minutes per in the playoffs. I get where that's coming from, and we ALL know more Green is needed, but I think there are 1-2 steps to maneuver between "not even a regular in the rotation" (how he ended last season) and "third most integral player, minutes wise, on the team" (where DFS has been for the past few seasons). I think there's a conditioning/game planned against element to that transition that we're very much assuming won't be an issue. Maybe it won't be, but I kind of doubt it. 

My guess is that Green, Bullock and THJ are very close to even, minutes wise, and THAT is a LOT more Green than we were getting even just 2-3 weeks ago.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 12:00 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I really hate and don’t understand why we are wearing Luka out by playing him 2 full quarters during a game. He is so less effective when he’s so worn out.

In the 4th quarter of the playoffs there are so many TV timeouts that Luka should be fine.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 05:59 PM)MFFL Wrote: In the 4th quarter of the playoffs there are so many TV timeouts that Luka should be fine.
Maybe, maybe not. I will say, when that moment comes, I myself don’t want Luka to be “fine” I want him to be superb!
Like Reply
rotation will be adjusted based on the opposing team. guys like josh and reggie will and should play more minutes than other role players for their D. they can turn out to be stevenson and marion for a champion team.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 08:06 PM)LukaMVP Wrote: rotation will be adjusted based on the opposing team. guys like josh and reggie will and should play more minutes than other role players for their D. they can turn out to be stevenson and marion for a champion team.

The problem is.. we don't have a Tyson Chandler. We're like that one piece away, imo.
Like Reply
Luka/Kyrie
Kyrie/THJ
Green/THJ
Bullock/Maxi
Wood/Maxi

Those should be the top 7 in a playoff rotation.  The 8th and 9th spots should be a rotating door of Powell, McGee, Hardy, Frank, Theo, Holiday?, Aldridge?

Luka, Kyrie, Josh and Reggie will have to eat up the lion's share of the minutes.  CWood, THJ and Maxi should all be 24+ mpg.  The rest of the crew has to spot minutes based on matchups, fouls, and God forbid injuries.

Kidd needs to figure out his deal with CWood, and CWood needs to figure out how to engage as a team defender.

And as a massive Luka supporter/apologizer...even I admit he has to get his crap together defensively and mentally and never make his teammates play 5 on 4 while he argues on the other end of the court.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaxiThreeba's post:
  • BigDirk41, IamDougieFresh
Like Reply