Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching Criminality: All Things Jason Midd | More Guilty Pleas Than Inbounds Plays
Green shouldn't re-sign here...I would get as far away from this sinking ship as possible if Kidd is still coaching. Brunson was one of his closest friends on the team, Green probably recognizes the smart move Brunson made by leaving.

He's a different player without Kyrie and Luka because this is a predictable offensive system based around what the 1-2 guards on the floor can do. Everyone else is supposed to stand around and space the floor to hopefully get an open 3. It's not a free-for-all motion offense where the ball moves around and anyone 1-5 can put up shots on most possessions. Unless you're one of those lead guards on the floor (Luka/Kyrie/Hardy now when he's in and previously Dinwiddie and Brunson), you are just a floor spacer/screener. He will occasionally take the ball up the floor but he's just handing it off to the lead guard after crossing halfcourt so he's not really running the offense. And they don't run plays or screens for him since he's supposed to be the new DFS 3 and D role on offense.

Unless they fire Kidd or change the offensive system, Green will continue to be wasted here as just a role player instead of seeing what he could really turn into. If things are status quo then I think it would be beneficial to really try to trade him over the next year so they don't lose him for nothing.
[-] The following 2 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • BigDirk41, Smitty
Like Reply
Problem is the organization committed to playing "at Luka's pace." Kidd said this in his first year, saying whats good for his pace is good for the team. Can Luka play in more flowing offense that involves others? We won't know until the team starts to coach that way and asks him to do it. 

I can't imagine other players enjoy watching 1 or 2 guys pound the ball for 20 seconds of the shot clock. You can even see how the whole team looks better on offense and defense when they are involved on both ends. You can't play a style that sucks the life out of the team and then expect them to play a high energy rotation defensive scheme and be successful, especially when they aren't gifted defensively anyway. 

The supposed leaders in this franchise need to lead. I have no faith that will happen with the current bunch. At minimum Kidd has to go and if I could find a real pro for front office, Nico too. Amateur hour needs to be over
[-] The following 2 users Like LifeAquatic's post:
  • BigDirk41, chaparral
Like Reply
When I try to justify Cuban's hire of a nice guy shoe saleman as GM, it occurs that, obviously, Cuban retains his role as the de facto GM in that scenario.  Otherwise, why not hire someone with actual, successful GMing in their resume'?  The JKidd hire was likely based on comfortability, more than Kidd's coaching track record.  Again, not a good hire for a "hands off" owner, but it fit nicely with Cuban's modus operandi.
[-] The following 1 user Likes WildArkieBoy's post:
  • ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
(03-25-2023, 02:21 PM)LifeAquatic Wrote: Problem is the organization committed to playing "at Luka's pace." Kidd said this in his first year, saying whats good for his pace is good for the team. Can Luka play in more flowing offense that involves others? We won't know until the team starts to coach that way and asks him to do it. 

I think you are underestimating the limitations of this roster. Powell, Kleber and Bullock can't do much other than their go-to moves. Powell PnR dunk and Kleber/Bullock wide open three. When they are not in their position, they just look to pass the ball as soon as possible. These are three starters of this team. Rest of the team gets their shots and it is far from watching someone pound the ball for 20s. Wood is involved either in PnR or as short roll from where he creates. Hardy takes and gets his. Hardaway takes his shots (he is bad in anything but a spot up). The only one sort of lost with both Luka and Irving playing is Green. I am not convinced this is solely on them. I think play will change a lot automatically with guys like Powell, Kleber and Bullock playing less and athletic guys like Green, Hardy, hopefully a good big wing, playing more. 

Style of play or success on defense doesn't really change much with Luka out - I think this is biggest "proof" about this roster limitations. One area they could improve is pushing the ball more. Powell, Kleber, Bullock and THJ are not really able to do it. But Hardy and Green showed they could and I think it already shows when they are on the court, even with Luka. But they are not on the court that much with everyone healthy in the first place. Hardy plays just because THJ is injured, for example. 

Looking just at this short span after the trade, there are several reasons culminating together. Luka was not the same after somewhere around all star. Maxi is the only one resembling a PF on this team, but he is really bad after coming back from injury. Bullock is not good whole season (GSW game honorable exception),... Mavs desperately need a defensive general. More and more I am thinking about Draymond Green, while adding another young prospect who can learn from him. A guy like Brooks would also be great. He may take bad shots but he is an absolute pest on defense (actually very similar to Smart in both regards). Mavs have no one close to being like that. 

In any case, for reasons beyond my understanding, the Kidd/Sweeney defensive schemes always fall apart in the second season. Mavs are not an exception here. I completely agree with the ones calling for Kidds head. He lost this team. Even if it is not his fault, wheres the point to continue...
Like Reply
(03-24-2023, 10:44 PM)omahen Wrote: I have been quiet about the Kidd, but he just has to go:
1. Green has been great this season, one of rare good stories, and is part of the core going forward. They start Bullock over him. Bullock has been absolute trash on defense tonight, no idea how he ended being only -1
2. Powell and Kleber offer zero rim protection but are supposed to be bigs that can switch onto guards, yet they play them in drop coverage resulting in total defensive break down every time opponent runs a PnR

First person I’ve seen bring up #2 and I couldn’t agree more. Kidd has stubbornly tried to change everything that was working for this roster, and it plainly hasn’t resulted in success. They pivoted back to stuff more like Carlisle’s approach about halfway through last year, to great effect. This time around he stuck to his guns and it has ruined an entire season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
Did you see the crappy job that Carlisle did tonight?  Allowed the Mavs to shoot close to 50% on threes.

Clearly, he needs to get fired.
Like Reply
(03-27-2023, 08:41 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Did you see the crappy job that Carlisle did tonight?  Allowed the Mavs to shoot close to 50% on threes.

Clearly, he needs to get fired.

Flawless execution. Peak tanking performance. I wonder why he wasn´t able to do the same in Dallas.
Like Reply
This guy is soooo shit it's crazy.

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...13472?s=20
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
Sweet Jesus

https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1...92800?s=20
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
Like Reply
Nico has an interview in the DMN today.  It is behind a paywall but I saw one of the comments saying Kidd has done a great job this year and blamed the season on injuries.   Not sure if that only part of quote.
Like Reply
(03-30-2023, 10:42 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Nico has an interview in the DMN today.  It is behind a paywall but I saw one of the comments saying Kidd has done a great job this year and blamed the season on injuries.   Not sure if that only part of quote.
I was able to read it from this link. 

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...71968?s=20
Like Reply
(03-30-2023, 01:00 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1...92800?s=20

Inept and dishonest.
What a model employee.

(03-30-2023, 10:46 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I was able to read it from this link. 

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...71968?s=20

If Nico truly believes Kidd has done good, this guy has to go too.

Time to start fresh.
Like Reply
I always believed that Kidd and Nico were a packaged deal. Cuban zeroed in on Kidd as HC from the beginning (probably before RC even officially stepped down) so they could get Nico as GM and appeal to Nike players. The Kidd/Nico regime is all about trying to be more appealing than the old MBT so they can attract players to come here.

And if you're Cuban, they did exactly what he wanted. He finally has his two superstar duo...the thing he's been dreaming of for years after Plan Powder. Kidd and Nico will probably be here for a long time  Sick
Like Reply
I couldn’t believe Kidd didn’t use his challenge. Especially the McGee block. But also the Luka basket that they waived off. There was another possible winnable one that I’m not remembering. And his explanation, as always, is utter bullshit; he said he wanted to save the timeouts. But as usual with Kidd, he took one before he lost the under 3 minute t.o. anyway. Unless I’m mistaken I’m pretty sure he took one of his patented unnecessary timeouts at around 3:38 remaining in the 4th. He is almost comically inept at this point.
Like Reply
I know Wood at this point is a lost cause.  But wouldn’t it be fun to see what Don Nelson could have done with Luka, Wood, and KI?  It would have been first team to 130, but at least it would have been entertaining to watch.  And it certainly wouldn’t have any worse results than we have seen from Kidd.
[-] The following 2 users Like rocky164's post:
  • BigDirk41, IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(03-30-2023, 11:50 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: And if you're Cuban, they did exactly what he wanted. He finally has his two superstar duo...the thing he's been dreaming of for years after Plan Powder. Kidd and Nico will probably be here for a long time  Sick

I'm not sure how much the allure of Kidd/Nico has with acquiring Kyrie since we traded for him and didn't recruit him.  Maybe my sentiment will change if we retain his services after this season.
Like Reply
(03-30-2023, 05:46 PM)rocky164 Wrote: I know Wood at this point is a lost cause.  But wouldn’t it be fun to see what Don Nelson could have done with Luka, Wood, and KI?  It would have been first team to 130, but at least it would have been entertaining to watch.  And it certainly wouldn’t have any worse results than we have seen from Kidd.

Aside from making the team fun to watch, I am confident, Don Nelson would produce more wins.
Don Nelson isn't someone to be trifled with.
He'd make Wood and Green better than they truly are, same goes for Luka and Kyrie.

Situation would be similar to the DÁntoni Suns. 
Win a lot, fizzle in the play-offs.
Like Reply
(03-30-2023, 09:19 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Aside from making the team fun to watch, I am confident, Don Nelson would produce more wins.
Don Nelson isn't someone to be trifled with.
He'd make Wood and Green better than they truly are, same goes for Luka and Kyrie.

Situation would be similar to the DÁntoni Suns. 
Win a lot, fizzle in the play-offs.

Maybe we need to hire DAtoni as Kidd’s lead assistant?  I’d prefer head coach, but lead assistant may be all that’s available if Kidd is truly untouchable.
Like Reply
The injury excuse doesn’t fly for me.  Sure it is hard to incorporate two stars late in the season.  Even tougher when they miss games.  But injuries shouldn’t be an excuse.  I blame roster construction first and coaching second.  Down the end of the season when we were in donor die mode this team laid an egg.  Either losing to bad teams or not winning close games.  It seems like they tried nothing new and kept trying to pound a square through a round hole.

Second, look at all the bad losses this team had against non playoff teams.   Mavs take care of business there and they are a comfortable playoff team.  They didn’t and now we hope we can keep our pick.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
They have hit the tanking breakpoint where the worst coach in the NBA becomes the best coach in the NBA.
Like Reply