Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching Criminality: All Things Jason Midd | More Guilty Pleas Than Inbounds Plays
It´s hard to judge Kidd´s comments and behaviour without knowing the directive of the front office. His comments are in line with a coach told that they are sitting out Luka/Kyrie for the rest of the year and plan on tanking into a top 10 seed.

Kidd had different expectations going into the season and certainly when they traded for Kyrie. Given that he´s also a former player with a win at all costs attitude, and not a younger coach like Daigneault or Hardy, that understand the whole approach of roster building and asset management, I can easily see this him being annoyed about the instructions he´s been given. That could explain his sarcastic attitude and general boredom perfectly.

If this is him, while Luka/Kyrie are legitimately hurt, and the directive is still trying to win this year, then I´d say his behaviour and comments are a lot stranger.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/grantafseth/status/1...08064?s=46&t=-lW3MUk_hy_SiUq46U-6RA
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(03-15-2023, 06:44 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: https://twitter.com/grantafseth/status/1...08064?s=46&t=-lW3MUk_hy_SiUq46U-6RA

Using the word "WE" is proper and respectful, as an employee -- in this case, Jason Kidd, represents the Mavs and the Mavs coaching staff in particular.
But I can't help it. In my mind, his use of the word "WE" is malicious.

Early on he did the same thing with Green.
"WE need to get Green more playing time" - not the exact wording perhaps, but the constant is the word "WE".

He is the head coach and he can't give Green more minutes? Who's stopping him?
This right here is what he is doing --- passing the blame or at least, spreading the blame.
This is lack of accountability in display.

Now let's go back to what he Kidd said this time: 

"We talked about that the other night with our bigs. Some people believe Powell is the best center we can play. Some would say C Wood [Christian Wood]. Some would say JaVale [McGee]. Some would say Maxi [Kleber]. Some would say Markieff [Morris]. So I have about six centers. Everybody can pick from one and feel comfortable about playing them..."

The "I" here is kinda' weird. But he put the "I" in there in a non-decision like statement, although it's still wrong because he doesn't have six centers. 

But anyway, the point here is -- Kidd is saying this as if the coaching staff is composed of people with equal power and he has to adhere to what those people are saying. Kidd says "we talked about it" -- what's there to talk about? If I were Kidd and an assistant coach tells me McGee or even Morris is the best center on the team, I'd slap them senseless. So, this talk -- didn't happen.

So, yeah.. Kidd just doesn't want the blame pinned on him.
But this thing right here is so obviously on him.
Like Reply
(03-14-2023, 12:41 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Have no clue who this guy is so take it with a grain of salt but if this is true then it's more of the same for Kidd.

He is not lying about what he heard, he has connections. I can't comment if information provide to his source(s) was correct or not
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
https://www.audacy.com/1053thefan/sports...gAPPxVt3rA
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
If Kidd isn't fired in the offseason Cuban might as well just tell Luka he wants him to leave.
Like Reply
Kidd is the worst Mavs coach since Jim Cleamons in the 90s.
[-] The following 2 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • BigDirk41, rocky164
Like Reply
It may end the way most think, but I really think you need to give him a better roster first.  I think he deserves that.   Maybe I am wrong and this year has been tough all the way around.  But the gaps in the roster were easy to see this offseason.  Why did they not try to fill?    Maybe Kidd was the one saying we were good.  But it is crazy they went into the season with clear holes in the roster.    I don't think they could have filled all the holes especially after botching the Jalen FA.  But they could have made smart gambles on players who could have at least could have band aid stop gaps.
Like Reply
(03-21-2023, 07:24 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It may end the way most think, but I really think you need to give him a better roster first.  I think he deserves that.   Maybe I am wrong and this year has been tough all the way around.  But the gaps in the roster were easy to see this offseason.  Why did they not try to fill?    Maybe Kidd was the one saying we were good.  But it is crazy they went into the season with clear holes in the roster.    I don't think they could have filled all the holes especially after botching the Jalen FA.  But they could have made smart gambles on players who could have at least could have band aid stop gaps.

Respectfully, I disagree. He does not deserve a better roster. His poor coaching was on display all season. A better roster doesn't teach you how to run plays, draw up in bound plays, or take timeouts to stop runs. This is coaching 101 done at the youth level. I like Kidd as a player. He's an all time great and helped the Mavs win a championship. That being said, he is the wrong coach for this team and most importantly, for Luka.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(03-21-2023, 07:24 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It may end the way most think, but I really think you need to give him a better roster first.  I think he deserves that.   Maybe I am wrong and this year has been tough all the way around.  But the gaps in the roster were easy to see this offseason.  Why did they not try to fill?    Maybe Kidd was the one saying we were good.  But it is crazy they went into the season with clear holes in the roster.    I don't think they could have filled all the holes especially after botching the Jalen FA.  But they could have made smart gambles on players who could have at least could have band aid stop gaps.

Don Nelson's teams were flawed, but he is mad scientist of sorts that his teams were dangerous. 
RC's teams (Mavs teams) weren't power houses but even those seasons when Dirk was waning -- he has found ways to make the best of what he has. Some guys in here do not like him, but I never felt the Mavs were at a disadvantage coaching wise when he was here.
I thought Avery wasn't good. He wasn't. But after his term, Dirk was a better player at the post.
Still he had to go and I was glad the Mavs got rid of him.

Kidd is a new low as far as head coaches go.
Sure he deserves a better roster, but he did kinda' made roster building harder than it should be.
There are rumors/reports he had a hand in signing McGee.  That's one.
Another one is Wood.
Had Kidd handled things differently, the Mavs might have gotten themselves a fair extension, a better trade out of him, or even a possibility of signing Wood back.
So yeah, Kidd in some ways had a hand in this roster and next season's roster.

But let's say the Mavs get Siakam and OG without losing Kyrie, Luka and Green.
Would anyone here say the Mavs would be contenders?

I wouldn't.
As long as Kidd is the coach.
I just feel like, Kidd's not going to be able to maximize the talent a team has.

Get rid of him now and not wait to see what happens should be the approach -- we're wasting years of Luka here.
Like Reply
(03-21-2023, 08:37 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Respectfully, I disagree. He does not deserve a better roster. His poor coaching was on display all season. A better roster doesn't teach you how to run plays, draw up in bound plays, or take timeouts to stop runs. This is coaching 101 done at the youth level. I like Kidd as a player. He's an all time great and helped the Mavs win a championship. That being said, he is the wrong coach for this team and most importantly, for Luka.

I am not comfortable at a place defending Kidd, so don't take this as I am on Kidd island.  I was against the hire last year, but thought he was great last year down the stretch.   I am still kicking myself I wasn't more aware that things could go sour in year two.   I should have been a little more cautious.

Regarding the plays, I agree.    I don't like the stand and watch offense.   But while their end of game execution has been a problem for years, the offense with Luka has always been very good with Carlisle and Kidd.   I have always wanted a more GS focus offense and less Harden offense.

On timeouts, there are a lot of really good coaches who want players to play through runs.   The Boston coach this year is one and Phil Jackson is famous for not calling timeouts.  There is probably a balance there but I don't think it is cut and dry that one way is better than the other.

If Luka is not happy, Kidd and Nico are probably gone.  But by all accounts, Luka appears much closer to Kidd and Nico than Cuban.   That is just my speculation though.    I would be shocked if Kidd is not back next year.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
I don’t think anyone should be surprised that Kidd’s offensive plays are all give it to the point guard and let him decide based on what he sees on the court. He was like that at Cal and even more so with the 90s Mavs. He was quite clear about that repeatedly as a player. Luka, Brunson and Kyrie are all totally ok with that way of thinking and they are all three great at making said plays. 

I think we are very spoiled by Carlisle and Nellie who were great at designing plays. But Jason Kidd was not especially fond of any of Ricks plays that didn’t feature him or Dirk making the decisions. 

Just be glad we have Luka, Kyrie, and even Hardy who can indeed make a bunch of winning plays.
Like Reply
[Image: ilxgsrass6pa1.jpg?width=1008&auto=webp&v...1ec8f3ec2b]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
I wonder, if the Mavs are so poorly coached on the obvious stuff that even the least competent staffs can manage, how are they at the subtleties that separate the good staffs from the average and the bad?  The Mavs roster isn’t everything to be desired, but it’s not a bad roster.  There’s enough good and useful players on this team that, when paired with a superstar, and now two, you should have a solid playoff team. We should all be pissed that the Mavs fell short in the playoffs again, but instead, we get too be upset about probably missing the playoffs (and losing a high pick to the Knicks as well). Ridiculous.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(03-21-2023, 05:18 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: I don’t think anyone should be surprised that Kidd’s offensive plays are all give it to the point guard and let him decide based on what he sees on the court. He was like that at Cal and even more so with the 90s Mavs. He was quite clear about that repeatedly as a player. Luka, Brunson and Kyrie are all totally ok with that way of thinking and they are all three great at making said plays. 

I think we are very spoiled by Carlisle and Nellie who were great at designing plays. But Jason Kidd was not especially fond of any of Ricks plays that didn’t feature him or Dirk making the decisions. 

Just be glad we have Luka, Kyrie, and even Hardy who can indeed make a bunch of winning plays.
that pic is so great and funny but very true.

I#M more a guy that would let the players find solutions first but when the team is hitting a wall you damn need to call a TO.

I can't see Cuban to fire kidd in the offseason, nothing with data its more of a feeling.

I think he needs also to hear more from his co-trainers.
Like Reply
(03-21-2023, 09:24 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am not comfortable at a place defending Kidd, so don't take this as I am on Kidd island.  I was against the hire last year, but thought he was great last year down the stretch.   I am still kicking myself I wasn't more aware that things could go sour in year two.   I should have been a little more cautious.

Regarding the plays, I agree.    I don't like the stand and watch offense.   But while their end of game execution has been a problem for years, the offense with Luka has always been very good with Carlisle and Kidd.   I have always wanted a more GS focus offense and less Harden offense.

On timeouts, there are a lot of really good coaches who want players to play through runs.   The Boston coach this year is one and Phil Jackson is famous for not calling timeouts.  There is probably a balance there but I don't think it is cut and dry that one way is better than the other.

If Luka is not happy, Kidd and Nico are probably gone.  But by all accounts, Luka appears much closer to Kidd and Nico than Cuban.   That is just my speculation though.    I would be shocked if Kidd is not back next year.

Have you noticed that most of the coaches you named, let their teams play through runs and have veteran laded rosters that have been in those situations before?  Dallas doesn't qualify in my opinion even though they have a few vets, they are still a young team. RC is a notorious run-stopper by calling timeouts to make sure a team doesn't gain momentum. That's what he's known for.  He'll also call one if there is a defensive breakdown and a team gets an easy basket after no matter what group calls the timeout.  I actually think that's a good strategy.  Kidd stands there with his arms crossed or his hands in his pockets and doesn't call one until it's too late.
Like Reply
I have been quiet about the Kidd, but he just has to go:
1. Green has been great this season, one of rare good stories, and is part of the core going forward. They start Bullock over him. Bullock has been absolute trash on defense tonight, no idea how he ended being only -1
2. Powell and Kleber offer zero rim protection but are supposed to be bigs that can switch onto guards, yet they play them in drop coverage resulting in total defensive break down every time opponent runs a PnR
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(03-24-2023, 10:44 PM)omahen Wrote: I have been quiet about the Kidd, but he just has to go:
1. Green has been great this season, one of rare good stories, and is part of the core going forward. They start Bullock over him. Bullock has been absolute trash on defense tonight, no idea how he ended being only -1
2. Powell and Kleber offer zero rim protection but are supposed to be bigs that can switch onto guards, yet they play them in drop coverage resulting in total defensive break down every time opponent runs a PnR

The Green thing is really weird.  A lot of high points this year but his fit with Luka and Kyrie has lead to some really head scratching moments.   Not sure what is going on there.   He was a rocket ship right after the trade, but he has had some stinkers the last few weeks.  I wouldn't even call them stinkers though, it is almost like he is invisible on the court.    I would think he is an easy role to count on.    Just do all the little things.  Let him handle the ball.  Shoot open threes.  Defend.  rebound.  hustle.    

I understand earning minutes.  I think that is important.  But I think he has earned minutes.  I would rather go down with the season with him getting 30 minutes a night starting and learning than what we have seen in several games down the stretch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(03-25-2023, 06:40 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: The Green thing is really weird.  A lot of high points this year but his fit with Luka and Kyrie has lead to some really head scratching moments.   Not sure what is going on there.   He was a rocket ship right after the trade, but he has had some stinkers the last few weeks.  I wouldn't even call them stinkers though, it is almost like he is invisible on the court.    I would think he is an easy role to count on.    Just do all the little things.  Let him handle the ball.  Shoot open threes.  Defend.  rebound.  hustle.    

I understand earning minutes.  I think that is important.  But I think he has earned minutes.  I would rather go down with the season with him getting 30 minutes a night starting and learning than what we have seen in several games down the stretch.

Some of that is on Green. He plays passive sometimes always looking to defer. He needs to play with more aggression.  I also think if he looked for his more often (insert Hardy) he'd get more minutes.
Like Reply
(03-25-2023, 08:04 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote:  Some of that is on Green. He plays passive sometimes always looking to defer. He needs to play with more aggression.  I also think if he looked for his more often (insert Hardy) he'd get more minutes.

Yeah I agree.    I think these are your standard young growing pains.  Some players push through them, but some do not.   I am just sort of confused he has not been given a longer rope post trade.   Even if it cost us a game or two.   Seeing if he can be a reliable high tier glue guy playing next to Luka and Kyrie is a very big answer we will need.  This year has been a nice jump for Josh.  The question is does he have another jump or two ahead of him.   His age would seem to think yes, but it may not be a big of a jump as we have seen this year.
Like Reply