Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching Criminality: All Things Jason Midd | More Guilty Pleas Than Inbounds Plays
The great news is that, since the Mavs have tied their wagon to Kyrie, they have also tied it to Kidd, at least through free agency!!!!11!1!11!!! In't that fantastic?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(02-12-2023, 12:58 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Kidd and Luka got what they wanted with Irving, but now the "no help"-BS won´t fly any longer for either one. Luka has no reasons to be exhausted at the end of games and Kidd has no reasons to run the same dumb iso play all the time.

I mean are you looking at Luka? He has plenty of reasons. Now he's responsible for them, but I'm just saying. At this point, conditioning looks like it will be a problem he will struggle with for the rest of his career (and he probably will not end up having the longevity people think he will given his play style). I do at least partially think that genetically, he's just not built to be a basketball player, particularly one who plays the way he does as a primary POA ball handler (as opposed to say Jokic). But obviously he needs to be doing everything possible to maximise the physique he has and he obviously isn't doing that at this point in his career.
Like Reply
Couldn't watch the game.
But from what I can see here.. it's just another game the Mavs could have won, but lost because Kidd just isn't good at his job.
There are other factors as well, but Kidd's a constant negative.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
No idea who to blame now.  Our final attempt looked eerily similar to what we've attempted all season long.  So the gut reaction is to blame Kidd, but watching the entire game we saw way too much of Luka standing around on offense when Kyrie had the ball and the flow of the offense had a completely different feel when Kyrie was the only one on the floor.  I'm not trying to fault Luka but he could learn a lot form how Kyrie runs an offense.  The good news is the opportunity is there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
kyrie is a vet star who can play good with and off the ball, but luka ain't. luka still has a lot to learn in order to be true leader of a champion team imho. it's just his fifth year in NBA and even all-time greats like lebron and Jordan didn't ring until their 8th and 6th years. duncan got luck to have a HOFer (Robinson) to play with from rookie season, wade got shaq in 04 and stole a ring 2 years later (06 finals were rigged). now luka got kyrie who is still well in prime. 

when Luka and kyrie are both on court I think luka better be the main ball handler, guy needs the ball to be most efficient, while kyrie is proven capable of playing off the ball. kyrie and luka both need some time to adapt to our duo-star system imho, and luka apparently has more to learn than kyrie does.
[-] The following 3 users Like LukaMVP's post:
  • ballsrchr, F Gump, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...3401432064
[-] The following 5 users Like Branduil's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, F Gump, IamDougieFresh, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
I posted this is the LA GD thread, but it's prob better here.

"Say what you want about Kidd (I am definitely losing the will to defend him), the fact of the matter is, he took a terrible defense and somehow made it top 10 last season, and IMO our big situation last season after KP left, was not any better than it is right now (sans Maxi). But if you actually watched us, we played a swarming zone defense, that made it at last partially irrelevant how bad our bigs were defensively, because we just swarmed anyone who got the ball in the paint.

He was never good with X and O's and brought nothing remotely close to what Carlisle did to our play offensively, but he definitely brought something defensively. I expected him to be useless as a coach as far as helping this team maximise it's offensive potential, but I expected him to at least bring whatever defensive magic he brought last year.

You can put that down to DFS being gone and Maxi being out, but our defense was trash even when both were playing this season. Something has happened to where that defensive scheme that gave us such success last year is just non existent this year. To me it's that part that is puzzling, because it did make up quite a bit for his complete lack of game management or play calling. Obviously without that, he's pretty much useless as a coach."

I'm not remotely puzzled that Kidd has been useless with game management and play calling, but the defensive solidarity disappearing completely is a surprise. We did not have good defensive bigs last season either, particularly after KP left, so it's not like that's the cause.
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 07:41 PM)Dundalis Wrote: I'm not remotely puzzled that Kidd has been useless with game management and play calling, but the defensive solidarity disappearing completely is a surprise. We did not have good defensive bigs last season either, particularly after KP left, so it's not like that's the cause.

I have six words for you: Jalen Brunson was the team leader.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Jym, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 08:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Jalen Brunson was the team leader.

When JB left and the Mavs added Wood, I thought the Mavs were adding a big who's going to fit with Luka.
Wood can score, JB can score, Wood isn't good defensively, but neither is JB.
With this thinking, the Mavs should stay almost the same if they can add another creator in addition to Wood.

But I am seeing the impact now.
Luka's still very immature and lazy (in defense).
JB truly is the team lead.

So well, if this is the case, then Jkidd was (and is) totally useless as a coach.
Like Reply
Who would have thought that adding an inexpirienced GM and coach with bad NBA record would not work? Who would have thought that a bad defensive team will get worse if you trade your arguably best defender and do nothing to replace him? Luka has his flaws, but he is arguably best offensive player in the league. It shouldn't be hard to build around him. Addition of Kai shows he doesn't have problems adjusting on the offensive end that some feared. I am so tired of this Mavs incompetence. 

Look at GSW. Curry certainly has many flaws on the defensive end. Yet GSW always managed to put four great defenders around him and surprise, surprise. He has several rings to show.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • BobyM
Like Reply
All I need to know is: does Kyrie stay if we axe this MF?
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 08:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I have six words for you: Jalen Brunson was the team leader.

On defense? I have a very hard time believing Brunson's leadership skills on the defense end is the difference between a top 10 defensive rating, and a bottom 8 one. DFS is the one who was the defensive QB and leader, and he was here while we were garbage defensively this season.
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 09:24 PM)Dundalis Wrote: On defense? I have a very hard time believing Brunson's leadership skills on the defense end is the difference between a top 10 defensive rating, and a bottom 8 one. DFS is the one who was the defensive QB and leader, and he was here while we were garbage defensively this season.
I think both were leaders on the team. JB was a calming presence on the court that we miss. Though i do think Kyrie will mostly replace that over time

DFS was definitely the leader on defense. Many games over the years you hear him on mics on the court calling out plays and yelling at players when they’re out of position etc. 

Personally i don’t think JB wanted to play with Luka anymore. But we have Kyrie and we were in a better position than last year. What makes no sense is not making another move for a defender. Even if we had to move THJ and/or Wood for pennies on the dollar we should have brought in SOMEONE 

Now it all depends on Kidd getting Luka to mature. And holding this together enough so Kyrie stays. So we can build it better in the offseason. It was a big risk not to add someone
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 09:52 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Now it all depends on Kidd getting Luka to mature. And holding this together enough so Kyrie stays. So we can build it better in the offseason. 

The Mavs can start building a better team by hiring a competent coach.
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 09:52 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: I think both were leaders on the team. JB was a calming presence on the court that we miss. Though i do think Kyrie will mostly replace that over time

DFS was definitely the leader on defense. Many games over the years you hear him on mics on the court calling out plays and yelling at players when they’re out of position etc. 

Personally i don’t think JB wanted to play with Luka anymore. But we have Kyrie and we were in a better position than last year. What makes no sense is not making another move for a defender. Even if we had to move THJ and/or Wood for pennies on the dollar we should have brought in SOMEONE 

Now it all depends on Kidd getting Luka to mature. And holding this together enough so Kyrie stays. So we can build it better in the offseason. It was a big risk not to add someone

Jalen's leadership was more pronounced on the offensive side though. I don't think he had a big impact organising the defense.

Look at Brunson's TOP numbers this season. He's third. Also second behind Luka in average seconds per touch. He's basically just as ball dominant as Luka. That's why he didn't want to play him with anymore, because his effectiveness is directly correlated with his level of ball dominance. Kyrie on the other hand is less ball dominant than Steph Curry this season.

I also don't think Kidd will have much effect on Luka maturing. I think it's just gonna happen naturally with age and experience. You can't stay a kid forever, and it does click at a certain age for some players. Hopefully that's soon for Luka.
Like Reply
I grow to hate him more and more every game
Like Reply
If Kidd is here to stay a while, and I think he is, then the most important acquisition in the off-season, after a starter level big-wing/center, is an offensive coach to draw up plays after time outs, inbound, and late game situations.  What we have now simply doesn’t work and has literally cost us 4-5 times this season.  We have to have someone to hide Kidd’s weaknesses.
Like Reply
(02-27-2023, 12:10 PM)rocky164 Wrote: If Kidd is here to stay a while, and I think he is, then the most important acquisition in the off-season, after a starter level big-wing/center, is an offensive coach to draw up plays after time outs, inbound, and late game situations.  What we have now simply doesn’t work and has literally cost us 4-5 times this season.  We have to have someone to hide Kidd’s weaknesses.
Oof, a coach to hide every one of his weaknesses? That’s a lot of coaches! I digress. I’m down on Kidd, but what really matters is the playoffs, if he can get us there, I’ll wait and see what he does during for ultimate judgment on the season.
Like Reply
Is it bad that I think Kidd is purposefully not showing his hand and limping into the playoffs? It's a dumb strategy, but Kidd LOVES those "outsmart everyone 4-D ultra underwater chess" type moves, even if it doesn't make sense. 

It's the only explanation I have for how this team seemingly can't run and out of bounds play. It's cost them at this point 5 wins. 

I don't think Kidd is a horrible coach. But he's certainly not elite at conjuring up creative plays. I also think he picks and chooses certain games where he adheres to his pregame sub routine that he creates regardless of the flow of the game and what SHOULD be needed. 

Because there are times where he makes perfectly reasonable situational subs for the better, and other times where he follows his sub patterns strictly. It just depends on the night. 

I need to see how this team performs in the playoffs. If Kidd keeps making these mistakes then Mark+Nico need to take a long look. Cuban has stubbornly stuck with his coaches for better or worse. I see Kenny Atkinson sitting on the Warriors bench and imagining how perfect of a coach he'd be here (although Kyrie+KD were the ones who forced him out in BRK).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/cashoopsenjoyer/stat...68560?s=46&t=1V4k48cVffUouotiChpeOQ
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply