Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker
(06-23-2023, 05:34 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: DoJo pick

So championship at the end of the season. Shame OMP has to break his foot to do it, but sacrifices have to be made. Also credit to our #1 dweeb Dwight Powell. He was so eager to play the Caron Butler role that he tore his Achilles two years earlier.
Like Reply
I loved the night last night. And this is even factoring in not counting on Holmes until proven otherwise and needing to learn more about Prosper. I did not spend much time looking at him.

But what I love is the potential value both picks can provide. Their traits are exactly what this team needs. They found two guys who can help you win doing other things besides scoring. Love it.

I fully expect Lively will get good playing time next year. Prosper probably gets very little, I think. But in time, he is in theory a bigger wing this team needs more of. If he can be a respectable open three point shooter (I don't think he is there yet), he is the prototype everyone wants more of on their rosters. I will be honest, I would have been fine with several guys at 24. I didn't spend time on most of them in that range, but Prosper fits a lot of check marks for guys I would gamble on. I will need to read and watch more of him though.
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 06:06 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I loved the night last night.  And this is even factoring in not counting on Holmes until proven otherwise and needing to learn more about Prosper.  I did not spend much time looking at him.

But what I love is the potential value both picks can provide.  Their traits are exactly what this team needs.  They found two guys who can help you win doing other things besides scoring.  Love it. 

I fully expect Lively will get good playing time next year.  Prosper probably gets very little, I think.  But in time, he is in theory a bigger wing this team needs more of.  If he can be a respectable open three point shooter (I don't think he is there yet), he is the prototype everyone wants more of on their rosters.  I will be honest, I would have been fine with several guys at 24.  I didn't spend time on most of them in that range, but Prosper fits a lot of check marks for guys I would gamble on.  I will need to read and watch more of him though.

Interesting angle into the Holmes trade. We don´t know yet whether this is "chance capspace" or "agreed contract capspace" from the Kings side. Since they gave up a full 1st, you might think they already have a deal in place with Kuzma. Nevertheless if not you can also trade THJ or Bullock instead of the TPE and keep that large TPE to sign somebody above the MLE in free agency.

Shocking how this works. If you do smart things, suddenly you have more options. Unbelievable. Big Grin
Like Reply
Last night the Mavs front office actually reminded me of a big boy front office that other teams always employ. Prior to that I would have thought the Mavs would use #10 to draft Lively OR get rid of Bertans. Not both. And certainly not leveraging a TPE immediately to get another pick (albeit with "bad" salary attached, but as others pointed out at least it's bad salary that should be more useful than Bertans).
[-] The following 4 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • F Gump, Mavs2021, MFFL, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Haven't seen this posted yet.

Mike Myles from TCU signs a two-way after the draft.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/maveri...er-report/
Like Reply
Wait, wait, wait! I must be on the wrong forum. This team actually had a fairly nice draft and trade night. This team--who is it? The MAVS! Damn. Miracles do happen.
Like Reply
Hands down the best night the Mavs FO has had in a while. The Luka draft was ok (I guess).

No telling if Lively or OMax will pan out, but the way the Mavs executed their plan was a work of art.

My faith in Nico has definitely grown and it sure seemed like Lindsey had some influence right away.

After losing Brunson, I didn’t have much hope. After last night, I’m getting there.
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, Mavs2021
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 07:19 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: Wait, wait, wait!  I must be on the wrong forum.  This team actually had a fairly nice draft and trade night.  This team--who is it?  The MAVS!  Damn.  Miracles do happen.

Maybe we aren´t negative nancy´s and it was just the Mavs making bad decisions. Haven´t seen positivity like this in a long time. Mavs fans are happy when the Mavs do good stuff. Pretty easy formula.
[-] The following 8 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, F Gump, ItsGoTime, Kidnova, KillerLeft, Mavs2021, Not an evil robot
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 07:26 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Maybe we aren´t negative nancy´s and it was just the Mavs making bad decisions. Haven´t seen positivity like this in a long time. Mavs fans are happy when the Mavs do good stuff. Pretty easy formula.

Exactly. Mavs popping up as draft way winners almost everywhere. Usually the best we can hope for is a D+ or grade incomplete had no picks.  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
Loved the craftiness of the Mavs FO. If the Mavs underperform next year, Nico should be safe
Like Reply
Great article on Prosper. Impresses everyone.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/how-o...p-25-pick/
[-] The following 3 users Like Winter's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I am going to be honest, trades are nice and everything, but in the grand scheme of things it won't matter much when we judge this draft day in 3 years.

It will all comes down to how good Lively is, period.

This is a deep draft and be assured there will an All- Stars that were available at 10 or after, that will even puts pressure on our selection more.

Lively turns into next TC, and this draft is A+ regardless of how successful Holmes and OMax are.
Lively turns into the next Thabeet or Bamba, and it will be an F, unless OMax became next J.Butler or something.

The Mavs seems to have done their homework and they are looking for athletic guys with upside, good on defense and high character guys.
On the flip side, feels they drafted based on need (which is always a mistake) and both guys have question marks on the offensive end.
Mike Miles seems like a potential steal as UDFA tbh, loves the guy

PS: I am surprised we actually wanted Lively, it seems every mock draft had us picking him and trading him, not keeping him. lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes khaled1987's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
Even Bontemps and McMahon, the Mavs2021 of Mavs reporters, gave the Mavs very positive reviews. Only negative reaction I have heard so far is coming from

Bill "Tyrell Terry is the next Trae Young and this is not working we need to salary dump Jaylen Brown" Simmons.

I think we are safe until July 1st at least. Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 08:37 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Even Bontemps and McMahon, the Mavs2021 of Mavs reporters, gave the Mavs very positive reviews. Only negative reaction I have heard so far is coming from

Bill "Tyrell Terry is the next Trae Young and this is not working we need to salary dump Jaylen Brown" Simmons.

I think we are safe until July 1st at least. Tongue

What did Simmons say?
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 09:13 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: What did Simmons say?

That he doesn´t understand why they did this, when they need to win now or lose Luka soon. That they should have picked this guy or that guy with more upside. His co-hosts KOC and Tate Frazier, basically shut down all his draft suggestions, saying Lively might be a few years away, but he´s the right choice.

I don´t get why people are so upset about Lively´s offensive game. If Dwight Powell could defend, block shots and (off.) rebound, we´d celebrate him. I do not give a f*** whether Lively can shoot threes or not. Luka and Kyrie had no problem to score playing with McGee and Powell on the floor.

Remember when rookies Dwight Powell and Justin Anderson gave our retirement home a play-off push, just by playing hard and not being old. I think Lively and OMP can have the same effect, just like Green last year.
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 09:20 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: That he doesn´t understand why they did this, when they need to win now or lose Luka soon. 

I dont either...

Luka was basically a malcontent all last season and Kyrie is the same way.   I don't see either guy happy on a team fighting to avoid the play in.

Of course the Mavs have put themselves in this situation and maybe no trades for good veterans materialized.  I like the maneuvering last night but in terms of next years outlook, it's not really any better.

This would be a great draft if we were coming off the 21 season when we reached the WCF.

edit: Maybe the Mavs will surprise me in free agency and trade market but we dont really have many assets to get difference makers
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
If anything, I am kinda hoping Kyrie decides to leave now and they can get some younger assets back for him and then convince Luka to be patient.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft, omahen
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 09:48 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I dont either...

Luka was basically a malcontent all last season and Kyrie is the same way.   I don't see either guy happy on a team fighting to avoid the play in.

Of course the Mavs have put themselves in this situation and maybe no trades for good veterans materialized.  I like the maneuvering last night but in terms of next years outlook, it's not really any better.

This would be a great draft if we were coming off the 21 season when we reached the WCF.

Genuine question:

You think we are in better shape, right now if we traded....

Bullock + Green + #10 for Collins + #15.

I think that´s what Atlanta was willing to do. Then pick Whitmore, George or Bufkin?

So basically

Lively II + OMP + full MLE + BAE + Green + Bullock + Holmes

or

Whitmore + Collins + Bertans
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 09:54 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: If anything, I am kinda hoping Kyrie decides to leave now and they can get some younger assets back for him and then convince Luka to be patient.

Isn't Kyrie the thing that convinces Luka to be patient.

WE HAVE FOUR YEARS BEFORE LUKA WILL CONSIDER (EVEN CONSIDER) LEAVING!!!!!

He will play three years under this contract.  He will get his Super Max extension in place of his PO in 26/27.  He will play that year before we have anything to worry about.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
No clue what the results will be, but this is as good of a process as we’ve seen.

Bad Process, Bad Results is incompetence
Bad Process, Good Results is dumb luck
Good Process, Bad Results is unfortunate
Good Process, Good Results is ideal

No matter what happens, this draft night is squarely on the Good Process side of the ledger.
[-] The following 5 users Like MaxiThreeba's post:
  • BigDirk41, Jmaciscool, Mavs2021, Reunion Mav, SweetFidelia
Like Reply