Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker
(03-30-2023, 03:13 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Taylor Hendricks at 10 is my current optimistic outcome.

Hendricks at 10 is your "optimistic outcome"?  I'll take Wemby at 1.
Like Reply
Y'all talking about trading down from 1 and away from Wemby are nuts.  There's always a chance at a pick busting.  But I'll take my chances EVERY FREAKIN' DAY with a player whose upside is Lebron + Duncan.

Plus, you are waaaaaaay understating what you could get for him.  A team like OKC would trade Chet + Giddey + J.Will + 8+ FRPs for him without thinking.  And that would still be a bad deal for the team drafting Wemby.

Quote:NBA Insider Dave McMenamin now revealed some insights on Wembanyama and revealed some utterly ridiculous things he was told by teams across the NBA, such as team officials willing to trade every draft pick for the next 10 years in order to get Wembanyama.

Quote:“I had one guy tell me that the only way he’s not the no. 1 pick is if a team does research and finds out he murdered someone. I had another team tell me that ‘no one’s gonna have to go overseas to scout him anymore. Now that they’ve seen it, they’ve seen enough. I had someone else tell me he shoots like Steph Curry. I had someone else tell me that if it was possible to trade draft picks for the next 10 years, they would trade draft picks for the next 10 years in order to secure the spot to get him. I had someone else tell me that he is the ‘anti-Darko Milicic.’ Whereas in the past you had someone who was almost mythical out there but now the entire league has seen the real deal. Everybody’s convinced and, quite frankly, he will be the under-running current to the entire NBA standing all season long.”
Like Reply
I want to trade #1 even more if that's the haul you could get  Tongue
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(03-31-2023, 07:28 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I want to trade #1 even more if that's the haul you could get  Tongue

I hope it was Orlando. I´d take Scoot and Hendricks plus Banchero, Wagner, Suggs and WCJ for Wembanyama. They can even keep the other eight picks. Tongue
Like Reply
(03-31-2023, 09:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Thanks.  I can't get myself to get excited about the draft because I know we are going to wind up with the 11th pick.   Black is a name that a lot of people like though, so thanks for sharing.    

I really think Derrick Lively will be a consideration if we get the 10th pick.  It may be a tad early.   For a guy who I don't believe scored in his last two games, a top 10 pick seems questionable.  But I really liked his game when I saw him.   He has the potential to be an elite defender.    His best basketball is ahead of him.  His upside will likely depend if he can become a serviceable offensive player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mels_MLTKQs

Not that high on Lively. There were 4 centers last year I have liked more as prospects(Duren, Williams, Kessler and Koloko). Just isn't that special. Average athlete, above average instincts, but nothing special there on the defensive side. He's a huuuuugeeeee reach if he goes in the lottery..

(03-31-2023, 10:04 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: I know we need forwards and centers, but I totally agree here. Not sure he'll ba available past 8 as I have:

Wemby, Henderson, Miller, Ausar, Amen, Walker, Whitmore and Black as a clear top-8.

If we land 10 (go Bulls, go Jazz), I'd be excited to get Cason Wallace. Best perimeter defender in the draft/good smart helper and could contribute on and off the ball.

Luka/Wallace
Irving (max)/Hardy
Green/Z
X/Kleber
Y/Powell (vet-min)

Use Bullock/Bertans/Hardaway/McGee, MLE and the two picks we can trade to fill the rest. My idea:

DAL in: Harris, Nurkic.  
PHI in: Hardaway, Bertans, Bullock.
POR in: Korkmaz, House, McGee, '26 DAL 1st (lottery protected).

Use taxMLE on Thybulle.

Doncic/Walace
Irving/Hardy
Green/Thybulle
Harris/Kleber
Nurkic/Powell
Cason is allright, need to do some more deep dive on him. The most important thing I am looking for is defense and the players fit next to Luka(and some extend Kyrie), and he would be nice IMO. I just like all the three wings I have mentioned more than him.
Like Reply
Luka step back 3 with a twist

https://twitter.com/nba/status/1642584267984101379?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg
Like Reply
(03-31-2023, 06:42 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: Hendricks at 10 is your "optimistic outcome"?  I'll take Wemby at 1.

You should hear the pessimistic outcome
Like Reply
(04-02-2023, 01:59 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: You should hear the pessimistic outcome

Knicks get Wemby at 11.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
Or use 11 to trade up to get at #1
Like Reply
I have forced myself not to look at draft prospects yet.  It will be so depressing if we don’t have a pick.  With that being said, If we keep the pick I think I will be against trading it.  While a late lottery pick may not be an instant impact player and there is risk he may not work out, I think a young asset is what this team needs over another higher priced salary.  I also think they need to pick the best available player.  If that is Grady Duck who is not elite defensively…then do it.  Or someone else.  Just find good players.

I have high expectations this summer.  I am counting them to eithe buy a second round pick or be aggressive in the undrafted market (maybe both) to find interesting prospects…either old or raw.  Just be aggressive targeting these type of players.  Find a Dort or Hardy and you are in much better position.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(03-30-2023, 03:48 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: JK... I haven't done any draft research this year... yet.

I wasn't expecting to do any draft research this year....

But I will say it's time for the Mavs to get Wemby. He's pretty good I hear!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
If we got the #2 pick, would you draft Scoot or trade?
Like Reply
(04-04-2023, 10:13 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If we got the #2 pick, would you draft Scoot or trade?

I'd go all in on Brandon Miller. I haven't really done any sort of scouting or research on him, but just on paper he'd be the perfect 3/4 for the team.

If I got number 1 though, I'd seriously wonder what kind of package the Mavs could extract for it?

I'd call up Utah and ask for Lauri, Kessler, and their #9 pick for Wemby. If Wemby is as good as everyone says he is that'd be a fair package no?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-04-2023, 10:43 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'd go all in on Brandon Miller. I haven't really done any sort of scouting or research on him, but just on paper he'd be the perfect 3/4 for the team.

If I got number 1 though, I'd seriously wonder what kind of package the Mavs could extract for it?

I'd call up Utah and ask for Lauri, Kessler, and their #9 pick for Wemby. If Wemby is as good as everyone says he is that'd be a fair package no?

You don't trade Wemby.  While his height might make you worry about the prospects of his healthy, you could realistically have three of the top ten players in the world on your squad in two to three years.
Like Reply
They’ll find a way to mess this up. I’d be absolutely shocked if we were to keep that pick.

Right now the most likely scenario is that NY ends up with the #11 pick while DAL misses the playins.

Just embrace the incompetence. That’s what this organization is all about.
Like Reply
The conversation in here about trading the #1 pick if we somehow got it is completely insane. Take Wemby and run. Count me in on Hendricks at 10 though. Prototypical big wing size, length, and athleticism. Could replace the defensive versatility we lost with DFS including his ability to be an emergency rim protector in certain cases. Decent shooter. What's not to love?
[-] The following 1 user Likes sterlingmallory's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
(04-04-2023, 11:51 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: The conversation in here about trading the #1 pick if we somehow got it is completely insane. Take Wemby and run. Count me in on Hendricks at 10 though. Prototypical big wing size, length, and athleticism. Could replace the defensive versatility we lost with DFS including his ability to be an emergency rim protector in certain cases. Decent shooter. What's not to love?

You have a point. 

BUT you have to wonder would you rather use the number 1 pick to essentially grab 3-4 great players and fill out the team. 

Wemby is a talent for sure. Should the Mavs get the number 1 pick (which HA! Never will happen), they probably should just take Wemby. But I am definitely thinking hard about a potential Jazz offer of Lauri+Kessler+#10+2nds.
Like Reply
(04-05-2023, 07:58 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: You have a point. 

BUT you have to wonder would you rather use the number 1 pick to essentially grab 3-4 great players and fill out the team. 

Wemby is a talent for sure. Should the Mavs get the number 1 pick (which HA! Never will happen), they probably should just take Wemby. But I am definitely thinking hard about a potential Jazz offer of Lauri+Kessler+#10+2nds.

I would not even think about it. Kessler has DPOY potential, Markkanen is an All-Star and I love Hendricks at #10.

I´d say no, if Wembanyama was 7´0, not 7´5/7´6. Everybody is raving about his agility, movement, dribbling and shooting. Guess what people said the same stuff about Porzingis. There is such a thing as being too tall. Obviously he´s not Thabeet, still the most puzzling pick in NBA history, but his size scares the sh*t out of me.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • ItsGoTime, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-05-2023, 09:34 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I would not even think about it. Kessler has DPOY potential, Markkanen is an All-Star and I love Hendricks at #10.

I´d say no, if Wembanyama was 7´0, not 7´5/7´6. Everybody is raving about his agility, movement, dribbling and shooting. Guess what people said the same stuff about Porzingis. There is such a thing as being too tall. Obviously he´s not Thabeet, still the most puzzling pick in NBA history, but his size scares the sh*t out of me.

Porzingis averaged 10pts/5reb/1blk when he played in europe. Wenbanyama is averaging 21pts/10reb/2ast/3blk. I get the injury concerns but we aren´t just talking about a random euro big. Wenbanyama isn´t Dragan Bender. He is already on of the best players outside the NBA. Based on the stuff that we saw in the g-league showcase and his performance in the FIBA U19 world cup better than any prospect in the US.
Like Reply
(04-05-2023, 09:52 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Porzingis averaged 10pts/5reb/1blk when he played in europe. Wenbanyama is averaging 21pts/10reb/2ast/3blk. I get the injury concerns but we aren´t just talking about a random euro big. Wenbanyama isn´t Dragan Bender. He is already on of the best players outside the NBA. Based on the stuff that we saw in the g-league showcase and his performance in the FIBA U19 world cup better than any prospect in the US.

Oh I know he´s looked better, but torn ACLs are torn ACLs. I´m not sure how much better he´ll be than Kessler/Markkanen/Hendricks in the NBA.

Of course if we had a capable Owner/GM that I can trust to find hidden gems through other ways, I´m keeping Wembanyama and live with the injury risk.

But when I can choose between the expected Wembanyama/Bertans/McGee and Kessler/Markkanen/Hendricks, I´d take option #2.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply