Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker
https://twitter.com/MavsDraft/status/163...0963373061

Good news...Mavs employ at least 3 scouts Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • F Gump, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
His highlights look good.  Only averaging 9 and 7.   He does give me a similar vibe of former UT and current Knick, Jerico Sims

https://twitter.com/Barlowe500/status/16...1272284164
Like Reply
I guess I’m glad he can get the ball down low and do something with it. That’s more than our current starter does. More wondering about how well he defends, rebounds and protects the rim.
Like Reply
Emoni Bates scouting video.  Polarizing player.   The difficulting of the shots he makes is incredible.  On the other hand, I am sure the highlights of him taking awful shots is really long.   And with him shooting 33% from 3 and 40% overall, I am sure the awful shot highlights would be long.  Also has not shown any interest in defense yet.   Played on a bad team this year and didn't really impact winning much.

Still only 18 though.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LevC-V96Ao
Like Reply
I always like looking at the ESPN top 100 recruiting rankings entering college.   Sometimes it is more helpful to see how guys handle adversity if they did not live up to expectations.    There are a ton of reasons why they did not live up to expectations.   Regardless why they didn't live up to expectations, most of these top 10 kids are one and dones.  In fact, that decision is mostly made before they even get to college.  

This year there are two big man who have struggled at different levels:  #1 recruit Derrick Lively and #8 recruit Kel'el Ware.   I have not watched much college basketball this year.   Lively only averaged 5-6 points per game.   Although recent reports say he has played better and is a real factor on defense and may go in the second part of the first round.  But if he slipped, he could be an intriguing defensive center to go after and develop.

Ware had worse struggles.    He was not the best big man on his team and his minutes have really decreased as the year went on.   He was billed as a athletic big man who can defend and also eventually stretch the defense.   He is probably solid in the second round.   He is probably longer ways away...if ever.   But a interesting guy to let develop under your watch.   

Of the two, Lively would appear to be a nice fit with the current roster.    But he will be harder to get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3qIcbU6Z30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iza_4k8YBCI
Like Reply
Not a shooter or scorer which will limit him but Andre Jackson at UCONN would work real nice in Dallas for his defense, energy, athleticism and passing.   Only a Junior so maybe he waits until the weaker draft next year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTfr0JQGIi4
Like Reply
two of the best players in college basketball.   Sam Vecinne has one ranked 36 and the other 38 in his latest draft ranking.  Both upperclassman

Jalen Wilson-  Skilled 6'8 wing----hmmm who needs one of these???  Not the best athlete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKV89XZGkKM&t=463s

Trayce Jackson Davis-  Not a perimeter player.  Son of former NBA player Dale Davis.   Small ball 5?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj25NXELqKQ
Like Reply
Jackson-Davis is a good player though. He held his own against Purdue's monster center Zack Edey in a game I watched recently. Mostly scores in the paint, that's true, but can hit the mid-range jumper.
Like Reply
Chicago I appreciate your effort. It´s just not going to happen, but then we are all guilty of it. I´m looking at Paul Reed, Udola Auibuike, Jaden McDaniels, Shake Milton  and Josh Okogie as potential free agency targets, when I should be looking at how many years Justin Holiday and Dwight Powell will get on their extensions. Whether we bring Dwight Howard back from Taiwan or just opt for Gorgui Dieng.

They will not give up any of their limited future asset or cash to acquire additional picks. On the contrary, they´ll look to get rid of the future picks and maybe Hardy/Green, too. That´s just how it is around here.

It´s never going to change. The reality is just too depressing and that´s why the board is so dead lately. Cuban kills all the fun. 

We can all just pray for a 2011 miracle before Luka decides he has had enough of Cuban.
Like Reply
(03-11-2023, 01:52 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Chicago I appreciate your effort. It´s just not going to happen, but then we are all guilty of it. I´m looking at Paul Reed, Udola Auibuike, Jaden McDaniels, Shake Milton  and Josh Okogie as potential free agency targets, when I should be looking at how many years Justin Holiday and Dwight Powell will get on their extensions. Whether we bring Dwight Howard back from Taiwan or just opt for Gorgui Dieng.

They will not give up any of their limited future asset or cash to acquire additional picks. On the contrary, they´ll look to get rid of the future picks and maybe Hardy/Green, too. That´s just how it is around here.

It´s never going to change. The reality is just too depressing and that´s why the board is so dead lately. Cuban kills all the fun. 

We can all just pray for a 2011 miracle before Luka decides he has had enough of Cuban.

I will be very pleasantly surprised if Dallas looks to be aggressive buying a second round pick.  They did with Hardy though and that in time could make a lot of their previous blunders look not as bad.  It only takes a few good moves to mask all the bad moves.

I just lost here for a few reasons.  First, I haven’t watched a lot of college basketball lately but there are a lot of good players.  Making the nba is really hard.  But there are players who are outside the top 20 who will eventually be good players.  Not all of them.  But they are out there.  You just need to find them.
Like Reply
I watched most of a Duke game a few nights ago.  I am not sure how many points Lively had…it was less than 10 though.  And he didn’t have a huge rebound game.  But if I had a mid round pick, I would strongly consider him.  He is a ways off but I think he has some of the things to be the exact type of center we need.
Like Reply
(03-12-2023, 07:32 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I watched most of a Duke game a few nights ago.  I am not sure how many points Lively had…it was less than 10 though.  And he didn’t have a huge rebound game.  But if I had a mid round pick, I would strongly consider him.  He is a ways off but I think he has some of the things to be the exact type of center we need.
I don’t think of Blake as a C, but she is a 10!
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • loki, omahen
Like Reply
I mentioned him before, but I am really intrigued with Edey.  Now, I may see him play 5 minutes against NBA talent and realize I was way off, but I think he is undervalued.  

Huge, great hands, good touch.   I think he is more skilled than Boban.   Can you get him where he is comparable against Zubac?   Maybe not a fit against certain type of players but a solid 20-25 minute per game player?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q9OSy_0prs
Like Reply
I have really enjoyed watching UConn the last few games.  They are reallly good with several pro, I think.  Andre Jackson is the type of player we need.  He can’t shoot though.  Sort of Josh Green minus the shot, but he is the no stats all star that I think finds a way to stick.

UCONN has a 7’2 freshman center off the bench who plays some.  I think he could be a lottery pick next year.  Looks like Kessler.

The Kansas state-Michigan state game was really fun.

One of my favorite second round guys is Jacquez from UCLA.  Reminds me of Josh Hart.
Like Reply
Serious question….how many college games do you think a GM sees in person each year.  Second question….over/under of 5 in person games for Nico?  Third question….do they even have a draft board due to them not expecting to have any picks this year?
Like Reply
(03-27-2023, 07:18 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Serious question….how many college games do you think a GM sees in person each year.  Second question….over/under of 5 in person games for Nico?  Third question….do they even have a draft board due to them not expecting to have any picks this year?

Based on the Josh Green stories they don´t even have a draft board when they have a pick. Expecting to trade the pick anyway. But I guess things could have changed and Nico at least mentioned that Hardy was at the top of their list for the 26th pick last summer.
Like Reply
(03-27-2023, 07:18 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Serious question….how many college games do you think a GM sees in person each year.  Second question….over/under of 5 in person games for Nico?  Third question….do they even have a draft board due to them not expecting to have any picks this year?

If I were a GM the answer would be zero.  Luckily--for all of us--I'm not a GM.  I use to watch UNM all the time (in the stone age) and NMS some of the time--and UTEP during the Don Haskins era.  If I had time now I'd watch Baylor...but I have no time... 

I suspect most busy GMs would not watch many college games unless alerted by a team scout...so under 5.

Over 5 for Nico, since I question whether he is a bona fide GM...yet.  He's probably scrambling for his corporate (basketball) career--right about now.

A draft board hasn't seemed to help the Mavs much in the past.  Don't see why they would need one now...

Serious answers to serious questions?  About as serious as I can get.  I want to win!  But I'm frustrated...
Like Reply
Taylor Hendricks at 10 is my current optimistic outcome.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
Gradey Dick shot looks so pure. Markannen-esque. Great size. Though he was neutralized in the tournament I would love to see what he could do getting open looks from Luka.
Like Reply
I called Markkanen, Bane and Jalen Williams. Now I will give you a pick for 2023.

*Drum roll please*

JK... I haven't done any draft research this year... yet.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply