Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
EUROBASKET 2022: Greece (Giannis), Serbia (Jokic), & Slovenia (Luka) out
(08-26-2022, 07:59 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Bertans

IMO he is one of the keys to the Mavs taking the next step. If he can find a consistent role on this team and shoot 40% from three, then this team is going to be dangerous. I loved his defensive effort last season.
[-] The following 6 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ballsrchr, DanSchwartzgan, F Gump, Hypermav, KillerLeft, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(08-26-2022, 08:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote: IMO he is one of the keys to the Mavs taking the next step. If he can find a consistent role on this team and shoot 40% from three, then this team is going to be dangerous. I loved his defensive effort last season.

Yeah, I don’t hate the idea of more Bertans, either. It will be interesting to see how he looks after a training camp.
Like Reply
(08-26-2022, 08:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote: IMO he is one of the keys to the Mavs taking the next step. If he can find a consistent role on this team and shoot 40% from three, then this team is going to be dangerous. I loved his defensive effort last season.

I'm struggling with this being the case in large part because I'm struggling to see how he is going to get the minutes.  Last year our big rotation after he joined the team was Powell/Maxi/Dorian/Bertans.  That's it.  And yet he played less than 14 minutes a game.  We just added Wood and McGee to that mix.  Its really hard to see where he gets more than 10-15 minutes a game and I think its hard for somebody getting those limited minutes to be a key in taking the next step.
Like Reply
Dwight played for Team Canada in their win against Argentina scoring 12 points.  Looks like he played the second most minutes at 34 tied with Kelly Olynyk.  SGA played 36.
Like Reply
(08-26-2022, 09:09 AM)mvossman Wrote: I'm struggling with this being the case in large part because I'm struggling to see how he is going to get the minutes.  Last year our big rotation after he joined the team was Powell/Maxi/Dorian/Bertans.  That's it.  And yet he played less than 14 minutes a game.  We just added Wood and McGee to that mix.  Its really hard to see where he gets more than 10-15 minutes a game and I think its hard for somebody getting those limited minutes to be a key in taking the next step.

You make a good point.

Of course, we can erase Powell from that mix and the MANY minutes he played (about 1800) will go somewhere else.

There are about 7900 minutes at C/PF. From game to game, players may be rested or injured, so we will just look at total minutes in the long run, rather than game-by-game split.

Return from last year, and assume these guys get basically the same workload again:
Maxi - 1450
DFS - 2650
Bertans - 900 over a full season (he was here 1/3 of a season and got about 300)
[Powell - 0]

That leaves 2900 minutes for Wood, McGee, and to bump Bertans (as needed).

I'd think McGee will get about his same workload as in PHX if he stays healthy (and no reason to think he won't), so if we pencil in about 70g x 14-15mpg, he gets 1000.

That leaves about 1900 for Wood. Last season he got about 2000, and I'd expect him to get similar in Dallas if all goes according to plan.

One factor -- The Mavs have whispered that they want to keep both Maxi and Wood from a heavy regular-season workload, so that they are full speed when we get to the playoffs, which might lead to a modest adjustment.

If I mix all of that together, it looks like there are enough 4/5 minutes for all of McGee, Wood (slightly reduced), Maxi (slightly reduced), Bertans (only the same as before), DFS. I'm in the ballpark of ...
McGee   1000
Wood    1950
Maxi      1400
Bertans  900
DFS       2650

SOOOOOO - where would the Mavs be able to get more minutes for Bertans, if it made sense? After looking at that, I would guess that DFS either gets some workload dialed back (which might not be a bad idea, since he's so vital in the playoffs) or some amount of DFS minutes are played at the 3.

In fact, it's probably going to be necessary for him to be used regularly at the 3. When he plays at the 3, where you already have Bullock, Green, Franky, and probably Dorsey, then that allows some of them to slide down to playing the 2 when either Luka or SD is on the court but the other is resting. It still doesn't cover for what happens if either Luka or SD are injured for a few games (or many), but that sort of rotation seems almost a given in light of the way their roster is constructed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(08-26-2022, 09:59 AM)F Gump Wrote: Of course, we can erase Powell from that mix and the MANY minutes he played (about 1800) will go somewhere else.

Man, I wish I had your confidence about this. I do not. 

He will obviously play fewer minutes, no question about that. You seem to think he's going to go from team leader and starter to "completely and totally buried, out of the rotation altogether" overnight, basically. I think he's viewed as a more important presence than that from within the organization. Much more so than Bertans, that's for sure. 

This is going to be interesting.
Like Reply
(08-26-2022, 10:11 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Man, I wish I had your confidence about this. I do not. 

He will obviously play fewer minutes, no question about that. You seem to think he's going to go from team leader and starter to "completely and totally buried, out of the rotation altogether" overnight, basically. I think he's viewed as a more important presence than that from within the organization. Much more so than Bertans, that's for sure. 

This is going to be interesting.

You think they don't understand that their priority is getting a team ready for the playoffs, or that they won't follow that priority. I do not.

Yes they like Powell. He's a try hard type of player. But Powell has made it very obvious he can't be of any real use in the playoffs. So in the regular season he has to be used accordingly, taking a back seat to the prep/minutes needed for those who can. No doubt at times he will get some garbage time minutes or perhaps an injury fill-in here and there, but they didn't acquire both McGee and Wood in order to keep playing Powell.

This team is about winning a title. Now. Kidd gets it, his job is to make the tough choices, and he decides who plays.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/EuroleagueMuse/statu...4118342656
Like Reply
(08-26-2022, 09:59 AM)F Gump Wrote: You make a good point.

Of course, we can erase Powell from that mix and the MANY minutes he played (about 1800) will go somewhere else.

There are about 7900 minutes at C/PF. From game to game, players may be rested or injured, so we will just look at total minutes in the long run, rather than game-by-game split.

Return from last year, and assume these guys get basically the same workload again:
Maxi - 1450
DFS - 2650
Bertans - 900 over a full season (he was here 1/3 of a season and got about 300)
[Powell - 0]

That leaves 2900 minutes for Wood, McGee, and to bump Bertans (as needed).

I'd think McGee will get about his same workload as in PHX if he stays healthy (and no reason to think he won't), so if we pencil in about 70g x 14-15mpg, he gets 1000.

That leaves about 1900 for Wood. Last season he got about 2000, and I'd expect him to get similar in Dallas if all goes according to plan.

One factor -- The Mavs have whispered that they want to keep both Maxi and Wood from a heavy regular-season workload, so that they are full speed when we get to the playoffs, which might lead to a modest adjustment.

If I mix all of that together, it looks like there are enough 4/5 minutes for all of McGee, Wood (slightly reduced), Maxi (slightly reduced), Bertans (only the same as before), DFS. I'm in the ballpark of ...
McGee   1000
Wood    1950
Maxi      1400
Bertans  900
DFS       2650

SOOOOOO - where would the Mavs be able to get more minutes for Bertans, if it made sense? After looking at that, I would guess that DFS either gets some workload dialed back (which might not be a bad idea, since he's so vital in the playoffs) or some amount of DFS minutes are played at the 3.

In fact, it's probably going to be necessary for him to be used regularly at the 3. When he plays at the 3, where you already have Bullock, Green, Franky, and probably Dorsey, then that allows some of them to slide down to playing the 2 when either Luka or SD is on the court but the other is resting. It still doesn't cover for what happens if either Luka or SD are injured for a few games (or many), but that sort of rotation seems almost a given in light of the way their roster is constructed.

I really don't see Powell going to zero minutes.  At a minimum he will get minutes when frontcourt guys are out (and your minutes includes missed games) and he will probably get at least spot minutes in general.

There also won't be a lot of minutes to push down to the 2 because of Timmy (and Frank and Dorsey and Dinwiddie when he is playing with Luka).  

There really is kind of a minutes crunch up and down the roster.  A good problem to have.  We just need to add a legit number 2 next to Luka and our gaggle of role players and we will have something.
Like Reply
Other thing to consider with Bertans is his requirement to make his last year $5M guaranteed. Might as well get him ready for playing closer to 25% of games now so he’s used to it the following year. He’s an injury insurance player and sunk cost in my mind. No need to give him minutes cause his tradability will not stem from his on court play, he’ll be essentially a salary matching expiring contract when we get all our firsts next year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
[Image: 301152003_10166576162825461_625725198012...e=630E0CCD]
Like Reply
[Image: 301484242_10166576162840461_800268103921...e=630EF9A1]
Like Reply
[Image: 301445770_10166576162830461_787069421399...e=630D5D5F]
Like Reply
[Image: 301961125_10166576162835461_616090585287...e=630DFC1C]
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ParBasketbolu/status...1393981440
Like Reply
(08-26-2022, 10:37 AM)mvossman Wrote: I really don't see Powell going to zero minutes.  

I'm praying that Powell goes to zero Mavs minutes by virtue of the MBT having the baseline good sense to trade his hind end for 1) someone who will actually play, perhaps as expiring salary filler, or 2) air.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • F Gump, IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
I get so excited when I see Bertans playing well.  When I see Powell's face next to good numbers, I am not excited, I just want it to go away.  I have PDS.
Like Reply
(08-26-2022, 10:55 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Other thing to consider with Bertans is his requirement to make his last year $5M guaranteed. Might as well get him ready for playing closer to 25% of games now so he’s used to it the following year. He’s an injury insurance player and sunk cost in my mind. No need to give him minutes cause his tradability will not stem from his on court play, he’ll be essentially a salary matching expiring contract when we get all our firsts next year.

The "insurance" and the sunk cost ideas do make sense, and are certainly the most likely outcome for Bertans.

But his guarantee-related threshold next season is 75% (ie, he must play 62 games) not 25%. Finding 21 DNPs for some reason or another next season shouldn't be hard. And with such an easy limit, he's likely very tradable as trade filler without the other team having to worry about another fully guaranteed year getting added.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/cesaremilanti/status...8897971200
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...2231257088
Like Reply