Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THJ Foot Fracture: What to do?
(01-26-2022, 10:16 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: Dragic?  Dragic?  We've been talking about getting Dragic for...years...I think.  Where is he?  I really do want Dragic, but at some point in time he's going to be too old...

I assume he's been working out while he's been away from the team. But I think Dragic is at the end of his rope IMO. Like Omahen said, he could be cut after he's traded. He doesn't move the needle, and how does he fit with Brunson still here?
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 10:26 AM)mvossman Wrote: He probably wasn't going anywhere, but this robs us of the chance to spew out endless fantasy THJ trades for the next 15 days.  Not sure what I'm going to do with the extra time.

i'm struggling with the same dilemma. I read this board...when i'm bored. And its going to be slow without the THJ trade scenarios. 

In all reality, he wasn't going to be moved. And we'll probably not make a move. If we do, it'll be a minor one. Churning the back end of the roster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nowitzki Way's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 10:28 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: He doesn't move the needle, and how does he fit with Brunson still here?

I think he is capable of taking the THJ role (or most of it). He is much more of a team player and higher BBIQ, same defensive liability. Experienced vet who has been around and has playoff experience.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • ballsrchr, mvossman, Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 10:33 AM)omahen Wrote: I think he is capable of taking the THJ role (or most of it). He is much more of a team player and higher BBIQ, same defensive liability. Experienced vet who has been around and has playoff experience.

Fair enough, although I disagree. He has experience in spades.  I actually think he's lost interest in playing, said he wants to spend more time with his family. That's why he's on personal leave.  He was really hurt by getting traded from Miami.  And I doubt Masai is buying him out.  He's going to try to get something back.
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 11:03 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Fair enough, although I disagree. He has experience in spades.  I actually think he's lost interest in playing, said he wants to spend more time with his family. That's why he's on personal leave.  He was really hurt by getting traded from Miami.  And I doubt Masai is buying him out.  He's going to try to get something back.

I'm seeing it this way also. Masai wont let an asset go away for free. We may not get a chance at Dragic. But i do feel like he'd offer some on court help if he ends up here. But i wonder if he'd offer more off court help for Luka than anything. 

i think we have to set our sights higher than Dragic. All of a sudden we need some scoring punch off the bench. ASAP.
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 08:02 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: My initial thought is Bullock needs to be stretched and up at 30 minutes.   He shot better after coming back from Covid, but I have not thought of him as a 10 million dollar player at any time watching him this year.  This will be a good audition for him.   Is he a fit her and worth the $?

Bullock's shot mechanics seem to have all but disappeared and I don't know why. They look good when they leave his hands. Is it the new ball? The fact he's playing 7 less mpg and not starting so his rhythm is off? Just odd honestly. 

(01-26-2022, 08:02 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am actually good at Green at 15 minutes-ish a game.   Maybe you stretch him some, but he may not be quite ready for 25 minutes consistently.   As long as he is getting 15-18 minutes a game, I think I am good at this stage.

Green would be ready if he would just shoot the ball. There was a moment last night when Curry went under two screens and gave Green all the time he wanted to shoot a 3 and he just refused. I don't care if he misses it, but he has to shoot and not hesitate. The hesitation is what will kill his game. I hope he does get 25mpg and is forced to grow up quick.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 10:26 AM)mvossman Wrote: He probably wasn't going anywhere, but this robs us of the chance to spew out endless fantasy THJ trades for the next 15 days.

It won't stop me Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • chaparral, Tyler
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 11:03 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: said he wants to spend more time with his family

I think the reason for him not being with team is that he divorced. And it looks like, from bits here and there in the media, divorce wasn't pleasant/friendly.

(01-26-2022, 11:03 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: And I doubt Masai is buying him out.  He's going to try to get something back.

Why wouldn't he, if he is not traded by TDL? They are not counting on him as it is, making it clear months ago
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 12:09 PM)omahen Wrote: I think the reason for him not being with team is that he divorced. And it looks like, from bits here and there in the media, divorce wasn't pleasant/friendly.

Why wouldn't he, if he is not traded by TDL? They are not counting on him as it is, making it clear months ago

THJ is a proven scorer.  Dallas has a number of wings who will be given a chance to shine.  Green, Bullock, Brown, Ntilikina  all have talent.  All will have a chance to up their minutes and this can be a blessing in disguise when THJ returns next year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes haveitall's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 10:26 AM)mvossman Wrote: He probably wasn't going anywhere, but this robs us of the chance to spew out endless fantasy THJ trades for the next 15 days.  Not sure what I'm going to do with the extra time.

LOL you win! Thanks for the funny observation.
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 07:27 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Prior to last night, here is the minutes distribution for January.  Average of 26 minutes to be picked up by others:

KP       29.3
MK      26.6
DFS     30.5
JB        32
LD       35.6

DP       20.8
THJ     26.3
RB       22.0
JG       15.3

This is a great, practical, super useful post. Thanks!

With THJ being a SG, I would assume the Mavs fill his "26 SG minutes" with players who can fill that position. Plus, I don't see Luka or JB as needing more (and might even need a few less?).

So maybe the equation looks something like this"

THJ     26.3    ---       0.00
RB       22.0   ---       _____ (more than 22.0)
JG       15.3    ---      _____ (more than 15.3)
SBrown 0.00  ---       _____
Frank   0.00   ---       _____
Dragic?                    __??__

TOT     63.6   ---        63.6

When I look at it like that, I don't think there's gonna be any problem filling the minutes with useful play. With or without GD.
Like Reply
Amputate.
Like Reply
The Mavs aren’t going to miss THJ one bit. His contract will either be the tipping point for putting the Mavs in the tax next year or the reason they have to let a superior Brunson or DFS go in free agency. It was a bad decision bringing him back.
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 12:05 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The Mavs aren’t going to miss THJ one bit. His contract will either be the tipping point for putting the Mavs in the tax next year or the reason they have to let a superior Brunson or DFS go in free agency. It was a bad decision bringing him back.

This is the difference between good front offices and really good front offices. Tyus Jones has played really well for Memphis. However with some other big decisions coming I read they got Tyrell Terry ( yes that guy). to see if he can be a cheaper alternative/compromise to Tyus leaving for a bigger offer.  Smart franchises don’t let emotional attachment get in the way.
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 12:44 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: This is the difference between good front offices and really good front offices. Tyus Jones has played really well for Memphis. However with some other big decisions coming I read they got Tyrell Terry ( yes that guy). to see if he can be a cheaper alternative/compromise to Tyus leaving for a bigger offer.  Smart franchises don’t let emotional attachment get in the way.

I don't think THJ got his contract because of emotional attachment. The dude was an integral player and the only consistent (well compared to the others) scorer in the playoffs. He regressed a lot. There are a lot of reasons. But the THJ of the last 2 years absolutely deserved that money AND would be a key offensive player on this team if he could score.

I agree that the Mavs need to move off his money though. I don't see him returning to the same player under Kidd. But I don't think Cuban is just handing 70+mil away because he likes a guy personally.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, michaeltex
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 12:48 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't think THJ got his contract because of emotional attachment. The dude was an integral player and the only consistent (well compared to the others) scorer in the playoffs. He regressed a lot. There are a lot of reasons. But the THJ of the last 2 years absolutely deserved that money AND would be a key offensive player on this team if he could score.

I agree that the Mavs need to move off his money though. I don't see him returning to the same player under Kidd. But I don't think Cuban is just handing 70+mil away because he likes a guy personally.

Man I disagree with him deserving the contract.  Maybe if we are discussing what the market says was fair for THJ...but i would have to go study the skills the comps to thj had first.  Because I don't give a rats ass what the market says is fair...I don't think you pay a guy with ThJ skillset 18m per.   Screw the market...and what it says.  I let thj walk because I want to spend that money on players with multiple bball skills...and have those guys on my team.  So I'm not falling for the market said it was fair excuse...he shouldn't have been signed.
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 12:48 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't think THJ got his contract because of emotional attachment. The dude was an integral player and the only consistent (well compared to the others) scorer in the playoffs. He regressed a lot. There are a lot of reasons. But the THJ of the last 2 years absolutely deserved that money AND would be a key offensive player on this team if he could score.

The point is Tyus probably deserves a very good contract too.  You have to balance though with other extensions or contracts on the horizon.  I like THJ. He plays hard, seem like a genuinely good team guy, and this team needs scoring.  So as a fan who thinks more with his emotions, I am fully on board with his deal. The GM can’t think the same way. He has to balance DFS and JB contracts also coming up.
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 12:59 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Man I disagree with him deserving the contract.  Maybe if we are discussing what the market says was fair for THJ...but i would have to go study the skills the comps to thj had first.  Because I don't give a rats ass what the market says is fair...I don't think you pay a guy with ThJ skillset 18m per.   Screw the market...and what it says.  I let thj walk because I want to spend that money on players with multiple bball skills...and have those guys on my team.  So I'm not falling for the market said it was fair excuse...he shouldn't have been signed.

More skills cost even more. THJ got a deal that puts him into the Fournier, Bogdanovic, Robinson, Harris range. Players with similar skill sets. Add better defense or handles/playmaking and we are entering the borderline allstar range. That´s a max or near max contract.
But that is ignoring the Mavs options last summer. They decided not to make any bigger changes (can agree/disagree with that approach). Leaving them with two options. Let THJ walk for nothing or resign him. Spending money on other players wasn´t an option.

@"hakeemfaan" brought up a good point but right now we cannot tell if the THJ contract will prevent the Mavs from resigning DFS or Brunson. Can still hope that Cuban is willing to pay the tax. Not to mention that we simply don´t know if the Mavs want to resign both. Maybe they want to use them in a deadline deal.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • hakeemfaan, KillerLeft, mvossman, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 12:59 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Man I disagree with him deserving the contract.  Maybe if we are discussing what the market says was fair for THJ...but i would have to go study the skills the comps to thj had first.  Because I don't give a rats ass what the market says is fair...I don't think you pay a guy with ThJ skillset 18m per.   Screw the market...and what it says.  I let thj walk because I want to spend that money on players with multiple bball skills...and have those guys on my team.  So I'm not falling for the market said it was fair excuse...he shouldn't have been signed.

You can't look at this with hindsight glasses though. At the time the Mavs just came off a close playoff series where Brunson looked ineffective (8ppg). Maxi (5ppg on 11% 3pt last 4 gms) couldn't do anything but stand in a corner. And our 2nd star was relegated to a shell of his former self by design. Literally the ONLY other guy creating for himself was THJ. 

The Mavs were so desperate for shot creation that summer that they made their entire free agency revolve around that. Further, THJ gave up significant money from at least 2 other franchises that we know of who wanted him badly and came back at a discount. 

Now it's easy to call it a bad contract since he's looked awful and is injured. But the Mavs made 10000% the correct choice at the time. The only reason we are happy with moving on from THJ is because of how great Brunson has been. 

A guy who can score 15ppg and create for himself is exactly what the bench needs. And if THJ was more consistent we would be heartbroken over his injury. Unfortunately it's been a season from hell for THJ.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
I guess we disagree.

I would probably gone with a 20M defensive player then.  It's harder to be inconsistent at defense.  18M per for a streaky shooter that brings nothing else to the court...risky move.  He only had 2 years of ok shooting of the 3 before he was paid...previous 6 years weren't that great.   Maybe advanced stats show he kills it at open looks...I don't know...I'm going by basketball reference 3 numbers.

Anyway...a lot of money for few skills.  And the big skill he had you aren't guaranteed consistency.  I don't know.   I think I pass to less of a known player with all around skills but not great at any one skill.   But definitely know I would go for some sort if 2way player that wasn't "great".  I'm sure there are lots of players under 18m per that are fairly consistent 2way players.  Maybe they don't score 10 points a night...but offer consistent defense and can shoot or dribble fairly decent.

I'm assuming you will say those guys don't exist or something.
Like Reply