Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THJ Foot Fracture: What to do?
 "What to do?"

The typical answer is "nothing" - until the player is healed. There's just too much iffiness as to what such a player will be worth on the floor, and when, so trades are now off the table. (The one exception is when the team getting him is just gonna waive him anyway, which is definitely not a consideration here.)

However, there probably wasn't anything cooking anyhow. So there's that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 03:01 AM)F Gump Wrote: The typical answer is "nothing" - until the player is healed. There's just too much iffiness as to what such a player will be worth on the floor, and when, so trades are now off the table. (The one exception is when the team getting him is just gonna waive him anyway, which is definitely not a consideration here.)

Really thinking hard if there is an example of a player coming from a serious knee injury being traded and signed a max contract with his new team before playing a minute for them. Or if there is an example of injured vet being traded at TDL to a contender wannabe. Smile 

Jokes aside, I am not sure if injury (assuming it is a 2 months out injury) would be a serious deal breaker for a team that is not competing this season anyway. In any case, THJ would be just a matching salary in such a trade, with or without injury. 

I agree, it is highly likely Mavs won't do anything significant at TDL.
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 03:30 AM)omahen Wrote: Really thinking hard

Signing a player with an injury issue is a different thing.
Yes KP was an exception being traded while still rehabbing, obviously being seen to have great potential. Very unusual, however. I suspect other exceptions have happened.
I sure can't imagine a team wanting THJ that badly, to assume that elevated level of risk (with his big contract, too) to swap for him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 03:37 AM)F Gump Wrote: es KP was an exception to the rule. Very rare, however. I sure can't imagine a team wanting THJ that badly.

Redick was the other case I was implying to. Unfortunately I can't find a list of injured players traded in last years accross the league

As I said, I don't think there was a team wanting THJ badly even before injury. If Mavs were looking to upgrade THJ, it would be other assets that would be used to convince the partner, THJ would be the matching salary. In my opinion. So if I use Detroit and my pet Grant trade as an example, I don't think it makes any serious difference for Detroit if THJ starts playing 2 months later. It would be those "2 picks" that would motivate Detroit, not THJ.
Like Reply
How long does this injury typically take to heal?
Like Reply
(01-25-2022, 11:57 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Maybe this could be a blessing in disguise. I like THJ and it looked like he was working himself back into his shooting rhythm but the fit on defense was a big problem.
Could be an opportunity for Green or Frank. I think both deserve more minutes.

Prior to last night, here is the minutes distribution for January.  Average of 26 minutes to be picked up by others:

KP       29.3
MK      26.6
DFS     30.5
JB        32
LD       35.6

DP       20.8
THJ     26.3
RB       22.0
JG       15.3
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 07:27 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Prior to last night, here is the minutes distribution for January.  Average of 26 minutes to be picked up by others:

KP       29.3
MK      26.6
DFS     30.5
JB        32
LD       35.6

DP       20.8
THJ     26.3
RB       22.0
JG       15.3

My initial thought is Bullock needs to be stretched and up at 30 minutes.   He shot better after coming back from Covid, but I have not thought of him as a 10 million dollar player at any time watching him this year.  This will be a good audition for him.   Is he a fit her and worth the $?

I am actually good at Green at 15 minutes-ish a game.   Maybe you stretch him some, but he may not be quite ready for 25 minutes consistently.   As long as he is getting 15-18 minutes a game, I think I am good at this stage.

The remaining minutes either go to Sterling Brown or Frank.  If I were to guess Kidd, I think Brown will get extra minutes.  We will see though.  It will be an important stretch for Frank if he gets minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 08:02 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: My initial thought is Bullock needs to be stretched and up at 30 minutes.   He shot better after coming back from Covid, but I have not thought of him as a 10 million dollar player at any time watching him this year.  This will be a good audition for him.   Is he a fit her and worth the $?

I am actually good at Green at 15 minutes-ish a game.   Maybe you stretch him some, but he may not be quite ready for 25 minutes consistently.   As long as he is getting 15-18 minutes a game, I think I am good at this stage.

The remaining minutes either go to Sterling Brown or Frank.  If I were to guess Kidd, I think Brown will get extra minutes.  We will see though.  It will be an important stretch for Frank if he gets minutes.

Ready or not, I'm hoping they throw Green into the deep end.  The issue with losing THJ is his scoring.  He puts up 17 points per 36 on an inefficient .517 TS%.  Luka and KP are in the 20's per 36 and Brunson is at 18.  After that you drop way down to Powell, Frank and Green in the 12 area followed by Sterling and Bullock at 9.8 and 9.5.  

Hardaway gets up 15 shots per 36 including almost 9 threes.  Frank, Green, Sterling and Bullock don't hurt you from a percentage standpoint, but their numbers come on a small number of attempts.  There is no guarantee their percentages will hold up while taking more shots.  Powell and Green are far and away more efficient overall in terms of TS% compared to the others, but in Green's case in particular, there is no telling where that number goes if he's asked to take more shots.  Super small sample here, but in the 7 games where he's gotten 20+ minutes, his TS% is .690.  His Usage moves up to 15 and he's averaged 10/4.3/3.0 in 25 minutes in those games at a +11.3.  If that comes anywhere near holding, we won't miss THJ at all.  The problem I see is the lack of 3 point shooting will damage what Powell is able to do inside.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Maybe THJ can be our 2010/11 Caron Butler. The game before he was hurt, Butler scored 30 points, his most in the regular season since joining Dallas about 11 months earlier. He was averaging 15 points per game, second only to Dirk Nowitzki, and was among the team’s top defenders against small forwards and shooting guards.

The big thing is the Mavs were 24-8. They were at their best against the top teams in both conferences, raising hopes that the team could be special. Without Butler, that seemed impossible — except to Butler: Minutes before his operation, he thumbed this tweet: “Championship! Remember that fans that’s what its about and we have what it take in that locker room to get it done, ill be 100 percent in no time, and I will be the biggest supporter on the sideline until healthy thanks for the support again I’m going in….”
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 08:30 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Ready or not, I'm hoping they throw Green into the deep end. 
41 mpg from here on out? I’m down…
Like Reply
We could take Lamb to TPE to replace Tim's shots a little...
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikelo's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Nowitzki Way, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
I'm not sure his scoring off the bench can be replaced with what we have on the roster.

I hope we look at using the trade exception for a guy like Lamb or Schroder.  Play the buy out market. 

Out of the box thinking, could we get Lou Williams from Atlanta? And would he even want to play here? I heard he only wants to play in Atlanta at this point in his career.
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 08:50 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I'm not sure his scoring off the bench can be replaced with what we have on the roster.

I hope we look at using the trade exception for a guy like Lamb or Schroder.  Play the buy out market. 

Out of the box thinking, could we get Lou Williams from Atlanta? And would he even want to play here? I heard he only wants to play in Atlanta at this point in his career.

Yeah, this also solves the question of where Dragic's minutes would come from if he's bought out.
Like Reply
The lineup numbers are actually looking pretty decent regarding Bullock. He still leads the entire team overall in +/-. Not sure if you can luck yourself into that and be always in, when the team is playing well. It feels like he has at least a certain glue element to this game.

Luka/Bullock +10.2
Brunson/Bullock +7.8

Luka/JRich +0.3
Brunson/JRich +4.2

On the entire season Luka has the best two man nets with Josh Green (+ 11.3) and Bullock (+ 9.4).

last 15 games:

Luka/Bullock +26.1
Luka/S.Brown +18.4
Luka/Josh Green +16.2
Luka/THJ +13.1
Luka/Frank +11.6

Sterling Brown certainly looked like he arrived during the winning streak, had some good games. Tho i am hopeful the next man up thing will work, because even this roster have options to replace THJ.

last 15 games:

[Image: bullock.png]

Feels like there are still lineups and combos that should be explored more now: Like Luka / Brunson / Bullock / DFS / KP.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sefant's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 08:55 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Yeah, this also solves the question of where Dragic's minutes would come from if he's bought out.

TOR has been playing hardball with the buy out. i wonder if they actually do it, or if they'll extract value from a contender.
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 08:59 AM)sefant Wrote: The lineup numbers are actually looking pretty decent regarding Bullock. He still leads the entire team overall in +/-. Not sure if you can luck yourself into that and be always in, when the team is playing well. It feels like he has at least a certain glue element to this game.

Luka/Bullock +10.2
Brunson/Bullock +7.8

Luka/JRich +0.3
Brunson/JRich +4.2

On the entire season Luka has the best two man nets with Josh Green (+ 11.3) and Bullock (+ 9.4).

last 15 games:

Luka/Bullock +26.1
Luka/S.Brown +18.4
Luka/Josh Green +16.2
Luka/THJ +13.1
Luka/Frank +11.6

Sterling Brown certainly looked like he arrived during the winning streak, had some good games. Tho i am hopeful the next man up thing will work, because even this roster have options to replace THJ.

last 15 games:

[Image: bullock.png]

Feels like there are still lineups and combos that should be explored more now: Like Luka / Brunson / Bullock / DFS / KP.

Thanks.  Maybe it is just my frustration with Bullock.  I thought he was getting into a bit of a groove after Covid, but the last several games he hasn't produced much.    Maybe I have to take a longer viewed approach.   I just have not been really happy with his play as a whole this year so far.
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 09:00 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: TOR has been playing hardball with the buy out. i wonder if they actually do it, or if they'll extract value from a contender.

There are reports that Toronto surprisingly is a buyer at the trade deadline.  They are looking for a big.  They don't want to give up their core guys but they have Dragic's salary, Boucher (expiring) and they former first round pick in Malachi Flynn.   Maybe if they offered their unprotected first (could be lottery), they could get traction.   Don't think that is enough for Turner or Holmes type players though.  

I think they are just holding onto Dragic in case they can find a trade.   If not, I expect they will buy him out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 09:09 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: There are reports that Toronto surprisingly is a buyer at the trade deadline.  They are looking for a big.  They don't want to give up their core guys but they have Dragic's salary, Boucher (expiring) and they former first round pick in Malachi Flynn.   Maybe if they offered their unprotected first (could be lottery), they could get traction.   Don't think that is enough for Turner or Holmes type players though.  

I think they are just holding onto Dragic in case they can find a trade.   If not, I expect they will buy him out.

Dragic contract will realistically be used in a trade with rebuilding team. Very likely, that team will just cut Dragic once they get him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 08:55 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Yeah, this also solves the question of where Dragic's minutes would come from if he's bought out.

Dragic?  Dragic?  We've been talking about getting Dragic for...years...I think.  Where is he?  I really do want Dragic, but at some point in time he's going to be too old...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 03:01 AM)F Gump Wrote:  "What to do?"

The typical answer is "nothing" - until the player is healed. There's just too much iffiness as to what such a player will be worth on the floor, and when, so trades are now off the table. (The one exception is when the team getting him is just gonna waive him anyway, which is definitely not a consideration here.)

However, there probably wasn't anything cooking anyhow. So there's that.

He probably wasn't going anywhere, but this robs us of the chance to spew out endless fantasy THJ trades for the next 15 days.  Not sure what I'm going to do with the extra time.
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick, F Gump, KillerLeft, LukTheShadow
Like Reply