Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THJ Foot Fracture: What to do?
Landing in the THJ or bust column is the starting point.

No excuses.
Like Reply
(01-29-2022, 11:36 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Yes. Don’t think you are considering the alternatives. Maybe you are and just hate the signing that much. 
But not signing him wouldn’t have magically created cap space. It would have made it easier to avoid luxury tax while keeping DFS and JB, which is a good thing. But don’t see how it would’ve helped in any other way.

If the Mavs can’t keep DFS or JB due to luxury tax concerns, the THJ signing is pretty far from the small thing you describe. That would be a huge miscalculation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • SatnamSingh
Like Reply
(01-30-2022, 12:36 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: The Mavs were over the cap, so it was literally THJ or bust... the only other option to THJ's contract would be bringing in players for the minimum OR using the MLE on something other than Bullock.

The Mavs were not over the cap.  They chose to operate over the cap so they could sign THJ and give Bullock the MLE, which is only available to over the cap teams.

They had something like >$15 mil in cap space.  Could also have moved players like Powell or Maxi to get more space.
Like Reply
(01-30-2022, 01:23 PM)SatnamSingh Wrote: The Mavs were not over the cap.  They chose to operate over the cap so they could sign THJ and give Bullock the MLE, which is only available to over the cap teams.

They had something like >$15 mil in cap space.  Could also have moved players like Powell or Maxi to get more space.

It was way more than that.  If they let THJ and WCS walk while making the JRich trade, they would have had over 30 mil in cap space.  The trick was to convince someone to come here.  I think the biggest reason for the Nico/Kidd hires was to attract free agents in our last year with significant cap space.  They obviously failed miserably in that effort.  I still wonder how much they looked into DeRozan.  I was sure that is where we were heading.  I was not excited about it, but would have preferred to the status quo they went with.
Like Reply
Revisionist history going on here. Yes, there was an option to get under the cap. They didn’t go that route. If you want to walk through all the steps of what they’d have had to give up and when, and then assume they could have signed quality players with space, that’s a reasonable take. It might have been a wiser choice. But so many unknowns I don’t know how you can tell.

In any case, THJ was not an overpay. A mistake? Maybe. Looks like it right now. But not an overpay.

And if Cuban won’t pay tax to keep JB and DFS, I’ll scream at Cubes for being cheap, not at THJ for signing here for less than New Orleans offered him.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jommybone's post:
  • F Gump, Mapka, ReunionMav, rocky164
Like Reply
To get cap space they would have had to renounce THJ, the Trade Exception, the MLE, and it would have gained about $4 million more than the MLE. 

Yet, none of that ever happened. 

You could have done all of that and ended up with Bullock anyway without the MLE to do it.

If Bullock has it figured out so the rest of the season plays the way he did last night, then the choice they made was the right call.
[-] The following 2 users Like SkenfromLMF's post:
  • F Gump, ReunionMav
Like Reply
(01-30-2022, 03:38 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: To get cap space they would have had to renounce THJ, the Trade Exception, the MLE, and it would have gained about $4 million more than the MLE. 

Yet, none of that ever happened. 

You could have done all of that and ended up with Bullock anyway without the MLE to do it.

If Bullock has it figured out so the rest of the season plays the way he did last night, then the choice they made was the right call.

I think your math is wrong.  They would have to have let WCS walk as well, but they would have had over 30 in space, not 15.  How do you think they were going after Lowry with a 3/90 contract?  A lot of folks balked at that contract, but the alternative was THJ, Bullock, WCS and a useless TPE they will likely never use.
Like Reply
I've slept a couple of times since then, 
For what it is worth 3 years and 90 starts at 27.3, so maybe
Like Reply
Prediction: unless THJ comes back for the playoffs and lights it up, Mavs will trade him for a smaller contract this summer.

THJ for Olynyk post-draft - who says no?

Detroit liked THJ and will have cap space. They get him basically for nothing. Olynyk would be a good KP backup here. Mavs save payroll.
Like Reply