Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 5.5 pt RAPTOR favs & 2.0 pt Vegas dogs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
75.00%
6 75.00%
Bulls
25.00%
2 25.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 40: CHI (26-11) @ DAL (22-18) | 113-99 win
Let's figure out a way to flip THJ for Grant.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Bulls are good. If anybody watching their path this season they play probably the best allaround BB lately. Mavs outplayed them in manner I could never imagine.
Great D, regular O but shoots where falling tonight and so...
Best W of the season. By farrrrrr. Happy!
[-] The following 2 users Like LukTheShadow's post:
  • hakeemfaan, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-09-2022, 09:51 PM)LukTheShadow Wrote: Bulls are good. If anybody watching their path this season they play probably the best allaround BB lately. Mavs outplayed them in manner I could never imagine.

Streak enders!!!
Like Reply
(01-09-2022, 09:50 PM)cow Wrote: Let's figure out a way to flip THJ for Grant.

I am anxious to see if they can incorporate the good THJ into the team.  Right now, he seems sort of an odd fit.  Even when he is scoring it seems a little forced.  And I want him to be aggressive when he comes in the game.    On defense, he appears to struggle.    Long term it feels like an odd fitting part.   I just want to see him play better so he is at least a solid asset.

(01-09-2022, 09:51 PM)LukTheShadow Wrote: Bulls are good. If anybody watching their path this season they play probably the best allaround BB lately. Mavs outplayed them in manner I could never imagine.

Yeah Bulls are good and they did not have their best game tonight.   I still wouldn't put them in the top two or maybe 3 of the East, but they have had a great turnaround.   If I was them, I would still worry what happens in the playoffs when teams target Vuc.    If he can't stay on the floor, do they have another option with another big?
Like Reply
(01-09-2022, 10:02 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am anxious to see if they can incorporate the good THJ into the team.  Right now, he seems sort of an odd fit.  Even when he is scoring it seems a little forced.  And I want him to be aggressive when he comes in the game.    On defense, he appears to struggle.    Long term it feels like an odd fitting part.   I just want to see him play better so he is at least a solid asset.

Him dribbling tonight was an adventure.
Like Reply

Another guy that I really like from Detroit and think would be a sneaky pickup is Isaiah Stewart. He has the same sort of hustle/switchability that Powell flashes.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-09-2022, 10:05 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Another guy that I really like from Detroit and think would be a sneaky pickup is Isaiah Stewart. He has the same sort of hustle/switchability that Powell flashes.

We can always draft such a player. We just need a personalized message for him by Desmond Bane.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
It really feels like the fewer minutes that our Knicks players give us, the better our team is.
[-] The following 5 users Like cow's post:
  • ClutchDirk, dirkfansince1998, hakeemfaan, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply

I would love that, except the part about not having a 1st rounder for the next 8 years.

Oh my goodness, I'm drooling over the roster results of that "trade." If Kidd could get Grant incorporated successfully, we likely make big noise in the playoffs.
Like Reply
(01-09-2022, 10:02 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am anxious to see if they can incorporate the good THJ into the team.  Right now, he seems sort of an odd fit.  Even when he is scoring it seems a little forced.  And I want him to be aggressive when he comes in the game.    On defense, he appears to struggle.    Long term it feels like an odd fitting part.   I just want to see him play better so he is at least a solid asset.

Minutes have been shrinking lately.

It is hard to find a team that would prioritize him right now.  Could you even trade him and Willie for Kevin Love right now?
Like Reply
What a great team performance orchestrated by Luka. This was one of his maestro performances and what a difference it makes having a top 5 player in the world. Besides his 3 point shot, all other aspects of his game, including his shape, are the best he has ever been - this is the best Luka to date. Every time he was playing the team gained points and the reason is that the team lately has started to convert the open shots Luka creates, contrary to early in season where they were rarely converted - the difference in result is of course 14 assists compared to 7-8 and a team win. By a large margin Luka was the best player on the court followed by DeRozan that shows superstar abilities as well, I really really wished he played on this team as well.

Jalen Brunson again looks a fantastic fit playing next to Luka, and could once again take advantage of the space by both shooting and penetration which really gave Bulls trouble, it was hard to defend both Luka and Brunson. Once Luka was doubled, the open space to Brunson he took advantage of by attacking the paint or shooting and Bulls had no answer. Luka and Brunson are literally undefendable in the same lineups. 

The team overall just moves really well on defense including Luka and rebounds better. Great to see! I'm hoping that the return of KP will create a smooth transition and can be incoprorated well into this playing style.

On the less optimistic side, THJ really shows more and more tunnel vision and needs to pass the ball more when he is not making those shots.
Like Reply
Missing Mavsluvr.

Outside of Luka's 35, no one else played over 30 minutes (it helps that we emptied the bench with 2:21 left).  

In the second half, when the rotation narrowed to 8, THJ, Bullock and Green played largely as a group.  Part of the time it was with Luka (and mostly Powell) and part of the time it was with Brunson (and mostly Maxi).  

Typically when we go single-big, DFS is the PF.  Not tonight.  We went a five minute stretch in the first half of single big (either Chriss or Moses) with Luka and then THJ the next tallest players.  In the second half, we went 7:30 of single big (either Powell or Maxi) without DFS (this is unusual).  Again, Luka and then THJ were the tallest players.  There was a short stretch where THJ was the tallest player outside of Maxi.  

In essence, Luka spent 12 minutes at PF.  We were even in those minutes in the first half and +7 in the second half.  

In the last five games w/o KP, Brunson has played 30 minutes a game and Luka has played 34.  That means overlap eats up 16 minutes from other positions.  In the same period Powell and Maxi have played 23 and 29 minutes respectively with KP sitting.  So, they eat up 52 minutes.  Chris at 10 and Moses at 7 have been eating another 17 minutes meaning 69 minutes are going to traditional bigs and 27 minutes are going to others (mainly DFS and Luka). Once KP comes back he will eat up the 17 Chriss/Moses minutes (in a tight rotation) and 13 of the non-traditional big minutes leaving 14 "big" minutes to be filled by a non-traditional big.  

Where I'm headed is if you are trying to accommodate DFS, THJ, Bullock and Green, there are 14-18 minutes at PF (Maxi and/or Powell could give up some time depending on the matchup).  There are 48 minutes at SF and 32 minutes at guard when we are playing single PG.  So, something a couple minutes either side of 96 divided between four guys equals 24 each.  So far in January, THJ has averaged 24.7 (way down for him), DFS is at 27.9 (also down some), Bullock has gotten 24.9 and Josh is up to 17.2 this month (23.5 the last two games)  If we ever get to full strength and narrow the rotation to nine guys down the stretch, it may look something like:

30   KP
22   Powell
26   Maxi

28   DFS
25   THJ
24   Bullock
20   Green

35   Luka
30   Brunson
[-] The following 6 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, fifteenth, Kammrath, michaeltex, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 05:33 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Missing Mavsluvr.

Outside of Luka's 35, no one else played over 30 minutes (it helps that we emptied the bench with 2:21 left).  

In the second half, when the rotation narrowed to 8, THJ, Bullock and Green played largely as a group.  Part of the time it was with Luka (and mostly Powell) and part of the time it was with Brunson (and mostly Maxi).  

Typically when we go single-big, DFS is the PF.  Not tonight.  We went a five minute stretch in the first half of single big (either Chriss or Moses) with Luka and then THJ the next tallest players.  In the second half, we went 7:30 of single big (either Powell or Maxi) without DFS (this is unusual).  Again, Luka and then THJ were the tallest players.  There was a short stretch where THJ was the tallest player outside of Maxi.  

In essence, Luka spent 12 minutes at PF.  We were even in those minutes in the first half and +7 in the second half.  

In the last five games w/o KP, Brunson has played 30 minutes a game and Luka has played 34.  That means overlap eats up 16 minutes from other positions.  In the same period Powell and Maxi have played 23 and 29 minutes respectively with KP sitting.  So, they eat up 52 minutes.  Chris at 10 and Moses at 7 have been eating another 17 minutes meaning 69 minutes are going to traditional bigs and 27 minutes are going to others (mainly DFS and Luka). Once KP comes back he will eat up the 17 Chriss/Moses minutes (in a tight rotation) and 13 of the non-traditional big minutes leaving 14 "big" minutes to be filled by a non-traditional big.  

Where I'm headed is if you are trying to accommodate DFS, THJ, Bullock and Green, there are 14-18 minutes at PF (Maxi and/or Powell could give up some time depending on the matchup).  There are 48 minutes at SF and 32 minutes at guard when we are playing single PG.  So, something a couple minutes either side of 96 divided between four guys equals 24 each.  So far in January, THJ has averaged 24.7 (way down for him), DFS is at 27.9 (also down some), Bullock has gotten 24.9 and Josh is up to 17.2 this month (23.5 the last two games)  If we ever get to full strength and narrow the rotation to nine guys down the stretch, it may look something like:

30   KP
22   Powell
26   Maxi

28   DFS
25   THJ
24   Bullock
20   Green

35   Luka
30   Brunson

That's a great sum up.
I think DFS will eat some more minutes from your bigs and there will be some third PG.

Is Franky N. totally out of the rotation now?
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 06:43 AM)Mapka Wrote: Is Franky N. totally out of the rotation now?

Until THJ is traded.....
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I did not see this progression coming from Josh Green. I hope this is a sign to come. I was on the train that we wasted another 1st rounder on a project when we could have drafted more developed players ( Bane, S. Bey, Maxey). 

His athleticism has always been there, but now he's showing polish around the rim. And he's an excellent passer and rebounder. If his outside shot continues to develop, we really have something.
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 05:33 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Missing Mavsluvr.

30   KP
22   Powell
26   Maxi

28   DFS
25   THJ
24   Bullock
20   Green

35   Luka
30   Brunson

Is there a consensus that KP can give 30 mpg consistently? He's been pretty durable so far this season, outside of the current covid issues. I also wonder about his fit with the developing team culture. From way out here, it feels like he has this force field around him that keeps emotional engagement to a minimum.
Like Reply

Yeah Bulls are good and they did not have their best game tonight.   I still wouldn't put them in the top two or maybe 3 of the East, but they have had a great turnaround.   If I was them, I would still worry what happens in the playoffs when teams target Vuc.    If he can't stay on the floor, do they have another option with another big?

I agree on THJ, he is a shoot first guard so the ball movement identity is going to take him a while to adjust and change his game. 

IMO THJ needs to be less of a shooter and play more like a guard and incorporate more all around offensive ability in his game. 

THJ's 3 point percentage is back to where its been prior to him playing with Luka around 33% so this may be the real THJ.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...3846508544
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...6889271297
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...1182129154
Like Reply