Poll: Who will win the game? (Celts 4.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
51.85%
14 51.85%
Celtics
48.15%
13 48.15%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GAME 10: DAL (6-4) @ BOS (8-1) | 106-116 loss
(11-10-2019, 12:34 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 12:00 PM)JamesConway Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 11:51 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Powell should be traded December 15th. That is a very bad contract. It's not THJ level, but probably top 20 worst contracts in the league. As many of us stated over the summer, you spend money on stars and then use exceptions on role players. That was a boneheaded move by the Mavs.
I was one of the biggest opponents of the extension and wanted no part of it while pointing out plenty better deals other players of Powell's mold have signed. That being said, Dwight had basically no preseason due to his injury and he as a player is very dependent on other guys to set him up and team chemistry in general. I doubt he will play this subpar all season, Imo it can only get better with him. Hopefully he can turn it around quickly and get back to where he was as a rim runner.

Otherwise it's tough argueing him being a starter instead of e.g. Maxi who has shot the ball well and does his thing on defense.
Being out the preseason has zero to do with effort/defense/rebounding. Yes it effects offense quite a bit, but I honestly think his rim running is being shut down for the most part until he shows something else. Everyone has started to collapse on him in the lane and they know Luka wants to throw the lob. As far as your other comments about trading him and it's a bad contract, yes I understand the two don't really go together. We might be able to trade him in December by others thinking he's rusty from missing the preseason as you stated. If he performs like this in 2020, he'll be stuck here.

You do understand that this is the point, right?  If DP never scores a point, (in any particular game - not as an on going trend) he makes Luka more effective because DP's gravity opens space for Luka to do his thing.  That is the duty of the rim runner.  The THREAT often garners the desired result.  As long as the rim runner can finish effectively, and the ball handler can a) pass well enough to make the threat a reality if the defense doesn't cover the rim runner, and b) the ball handler is effective at finishing if you guard the rim runner, then it is a winning strategy whether or not the play ends in the ball handler making that pass.  It also pulls people in off the shooters on the perimeter.  If DP wasn't a threat, Luka wouldn't be getting as good of looks on the interior.  So... good for the D "shutting down" DP while Luka scorches them!
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BrianTRobb/status/11...4674201601
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 01:40 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 11:51 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Powell should be traded December 15th. That is a very bad contract. It's not THJ level, but probably top 20 worst contracts in the league. As many of us stated over the summer, you spend money on stars and then use exceptions on role players. That was a boneheaded move by the Mavs.
I was one of the biggest opponents of the extension and wanted no part of it while pointing out plenty better deals other players of Powell's mold have signed. That being said, Dwight had basically no preseason due to his injury and he as a player is very dependent on other guys to set him up and team chemistry in general. I doubt he will play this subpar all season, Imo it can only get better with him. Hopefully he can turn it around quickly and get back to where he was as a rim runner.

Otherwise it's tough argueing him being a starter instead of e.g. Maxi who has shot the ball well and does his thing on defense.
Being out the preseason has zero to do with effort/defense/rebounding. Yes it effects offense quite a bit, but I honestly think his rim running is being shut down for the most part until he shows something else. Everyone has started to collapse on him in the lane and they know Luka wants to throw the lob. As far as your other comments about trading him and it's a bad contract, yes I understand the two don't really go together. We might be able to trade him in December by others thinking he's rusty from missing the preseason as you stated. If he performs like this in 2020, he'll be stuck here.

You do understand that this is the point, right?  If DP never scores a point, (in any particular game - not as an on going trend) he makes Luka more effective because DP's gravity opens space for Luka to do his thing.  That is the duty of the rim runner.  The THREAT often garners the desired result.  As long as the rim runner can finish effectively, and the ball handler can a) pass well enough to make the threat a reality if the defense doesn't cover the rim runner, and b) the ball handler is effective at finishing if you guard the rim runner, then it is a winning strategy whether or not the play ends in the ball handler making that pass.  It also pulls people in off the shooters on the perimeter.  If DP wasn't a threat, Luka wouldn't be getting as good of looks on the interior.  So... good for the D "shutting down" DP while Luka scorches them!
Yes I understand the rim runner strategy. My issue is you are greatly overvaluing DP. His atrocious defense negates any kind of advantage you think he provides Luka. Maxi can catch lobs with way better defense and rebounding. I would also argue that Luka doesn't need "elite rim runners" due to his height. Luka can pass over the defense with ease. As long as he has a true big close to the rim, Luka will put the ball where it's needed. For DP and Maxi that's above the rim. For Boban he puts it close to the rim so he can just lay it in.

I know the point of your view is that DP's defender can't leave him, but I would argue that nobody can leave Maxi, Boban or KP(obviously). My point is you get the same advantage with all our bigs due to Luka's size and vision. So to me that doesn't make DP special in anyway. I've watched every minute so far this year and I don't see anything that stands out as far as Luka scoring better with DP on the floor instead of our other bigs. Luka gets his whenever he wants when he's not settling for step back 30 footers.
Like Reply
Will be a real test for Luka as well. Smart is probably the best perimeter defender of the season and plays really physical. Even Giannis struggled to score against him. 6-4 guy that is stronger than most centers. Wouldn´t be suprised if he gets switched onto KP at some point.  Will be interesting to see how both deal with  a "dog" like Smart. Especially if the refs swallow the whistle.
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 01:34 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:

Yes I understand the rim runner strategy. My issue is you are greatly overvaluing DP. His atrocious defense negates any kind of advantage you think he provides Luka. Maxi can catch lobs with way better defense and rebounding. I would also argue that Luka doesn't need "elite rim runners" due to his height. Luka can pass over the defense with ease. As long as he has a true big close to the rim, Luka will put the ball where it's needed. For DP and Maxi that's above the rim. For Boban he puts it close to the rim so he can just lay it in.

I know the point of your view is that DP's defender can't leave him, but I would argue that nobody can leave Maxi, Boban or KP(obviously). My point is you get the same advantage with all our bigs due to Luka's size and vision. So to me that doesn't make DP special in anyway. I've watched every minute so far this year and I don't see anything that stands out as far as Luka scoring better with DP on the floor instead of our other bigs. Luka gets his whenever he wants when he's not settling for step back 30 footers.

Totally agree with this, and this is backed up by how the team looks when DP is playing vs when Maxi or Boban. We are much better with Bobi and Kleber. They have played outstanding and bring something on both ends. I think its matter of short time before Carlise realises this and benches Powell.
Like Reply

Powell will play terrible the first 2 years and then in year 3,4 look much improved and Mavs will lock him up for another 4 years.
Like Reply

I acknowledge that you now view DP as unnecessary.  My response was to your original post that his rim running was being "shut down" by the defense collapsing on him in the exact way that rim running was supposed to work to create space.  Therefore, he was accomplishing his role exactly as designed.  

Addressing your reply, I don't think that data supports that Maxi can fill that role nearly as well as DP.  Now, there may be OTHER strategies that the team could employ that would make use of his skills.  But Maxi hasn't been as effective as a pick/roll rim runner as DP - hardly anyone in the league has been over the last season.  It has also been clear over many years of experience that RC's offense wants to utilize a rim runner. 

My personal belief is that the Mavs need an upgrade at the rim runner role position to include a defensively competent player.  It takes more than just an athlete as it takes a bit of nuance to excel at it.   Also, with KP manning the defensive 5 position, the Mavs have an added need to make the rim runner someone who can ALSO cover competently on the perimeter.  That is a much smaller list of players.  Zion comes to mind.  haha.  What is more likely to be the result (given the MAVS long term commitment to DP) is that DP is going to need to step it up on defense, or the Mavs will need to send some help in the post on occasion.
Like Reply
Re: Powell

He didn't get a training camp. This is a new group that needs to build cohesion. What little cohesion has been forged was without Powell. He needs to shake off personal rust and get incorporated into the team concepts. This is a bad time to just grind on pre-existing Powell hate. If you want to be intellectually honest you're going to have to wait until he is up to speed individually and incorporated into lineups properly to judge him accurately.
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 03:33 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Re: Powell

He didn't get a training camp. This is a new group that needs to build cohesion. What little cohesion has been forged was without Powell. He needs to shake off personal rust and get incorporated into the team concepts. This is a bad time to just grind on pre-existing Powell hate. If you want to be intellectually honest you're going to have to wait until he is up to speed individually and incorporated into lineups properly to judge him accurately.

Agreed.  It was clear that adding him in changed things a bit for a team that was trying to adjust already to all the new bodies. Having HIM working back into game form just adds to it.  I actually forgot that because he looks pretty fit out there!
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 01:45 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Will be a real test for Luka as well. Smart is probably the best perimeter defender of the season and plays really physical. Even Giannis struggled to score against him. 6-4 guy that is stronger than most centers. Wouldn´t be suprised if he gets switched onto KP at some point.  Will be interesting to see how both deal with  a "dog" like Smart. Especially if the refs swallow the whistle.

True, but this is where Luka cannot back down, and he cannot resort to shooting long step back threes.  He must drive and put pressure on Smart, or whomever is guarding him.  The refs have shown that they will give Luka calls when he drives the lane.

(11-11-2019, 02:17 PM)burekemde Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 12:00 PM)JamesConway Wrote: I was one of the biggest opponents of the extension and wanted no part of it while pointing out plenty better deals other players of Powell's mold have signed. That being said, Dwight had basically no preseason due to his injury and he as a player is very dependent on other guys to set him up and team chemistry in general. I doubt he will play this subpar all season, Imo it can only get better with him. Hopefully he can turn it around quickly and get back to where he was as a rim runner.

Totally agree with this, and this is backed up by how the team looks when DP is playing vs when Maxi or Boban. We are much better with Bobi and Kleber. They have played outstanding and bring something on both ends. I think its matter of short time before Carlise realises this and benches Powell.

I wish I had your confidence.
Like Reply
Would be a huge win if we can pull it off. We have the talent to win so we'll see.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1194...56358?s=20
Like Reply
Assuming Maxi and DFS are shooting well, that looks like a great starting line-up.
Lots of shooting and defence.

Hoping Rick gives this line-up 4-5 games to prove it's worth.
Like Reply
Decent looks, decent ball movement. Nothing is going down yet. Seems like Boston is going to take it inside tonight.
Like Reply
DFS is not an NBA small forward , he should be playing back up 4.
Like Reply
Does anyone have an ice pick for my ears?  That's got to feel better than that geriatic Heison screaming into the mic... smh
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
What an absolute garbage start.

Refs missed 2 fouls, one offensive one on Theis, and another one on Smart hitting KP. Add in 2 just terrible forced 3's and another possession filled with overpassing.

Sometimes I don't understand how this team can look so poor.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
3 not falling. Time to attack the rim.
Like Reply
Luka and Porzingis don’t match at all together
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 07:46 PM)TheSportyChannel Wrote: Luka and Porzingis don’t match at all together

Enshrine this comment in the hall of shame when Luka and KP win their first championship.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply