Poll: Who will win the game? (Celts 4.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
51.85%
14 51.85%
Celtics
48.15%
13 48.15%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GAME 10: DAL (6-4) @ BOS (8-1) | 106-116 loss
Heart 
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1193365570911121408
Like Reply
Mavs will need to play their best game of the season to win this, even with Hayward out. Our bigs need to dominate inside since that's Boston's one major weakness.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...5616982017
Like Reply
I think Celtics are better at this point. Mavs beat Grizzlies in a game with no defense on both sides. They will need to drastically improve on defensive side. I am not sure our bigs will dominate this as only one of them is really a spot up player - Bobi. He would certainly feast on them on the offensive side. Not sure about the other side of the court.
Like Reply
Starting 5 of 

Boban 
Kp
Dfs
Sdot
Luka

Pls...

Powell is no starter. He cant defend anyone!
Like Reply
I've said it a million times. Powell is not an NBA starter, on any team. He can't defend, he can't shoot, he is bullied by every C or PF inside. He is a one trick pony, just able to dunk on an alley oop. 

Boban on other hand looks great. He makes Luka better, sets so many good screens, and Luka makes him better as well. Those two are the most powerful one two punch so far on our roster. 

The lineup with Boban and KP was so far the most prolific! Need to see more of that. 

Kleber has been outstanding, easy one of our best players. His defense is top notch and he can shoot. Several levels better than Powell really. KP has been outstanding defender as well, despite often struggling on offense. 

The starters more and more look like this: 

Wright
Luka
Jackson
KP
Boban 

That team is going to be a problem for anyone. Defensively strong and offensively a nightmare with Boban setting screens for Luka and KP being around. Might be that Curry is better option than Wright due to having a shooter like him can make a difference. Jackson is our best SF.

(11-10-2019, 07:51 AM)Lennon Wrote: Pls...

Powell is no starter. He cant defend anyone!

We look so much better when he is not playing. KP also looks better when DP is not on the floor. His numbers went down immediately when Powell returned. 

For starters, wanting to build a contender, you cant have one dimensional players. Powell is absolutely horrible on defense and shooting. Cant have that in your PF and expect great results. 

Need to significantly increase Klebers minutes and decrease Powells. Boban needs to play A LOT more, as much as he can handle from stamina. Need to involve JJ much more as well, he is multidimensional player for sure. He has the inside floater, and his shot is developing, he has the range to become a factor on defense.

(11-09-2019, 11:48 PM)Branduil Wrote: Mavs will need to play their best game of the season to win this, even with Hayward out. Our bigs need to dominate inside since that's Boston's one major weakness.

Bring in Bobi! 

Bobi and Kleber, and our paint is safe and secure! Powell to the bench. 

On offense, we need Luka to continue the great play and we need Seth to continue to make those catch and shoot like he did agains Memphis. 

Not worried about offense at all, but we really need play Boban and Maxi more to defensively improve us.

I think Mavs win this one. I voted for Knicks upsetting us in that game, since I thought it was a trap game for us, an expected win, however we never really completely dominated any opponent until that point. 

However, Mavs are also too strong to be dominated by others. Boston is strong but they wouldnt have that record if they were in the West. Its going to be a close game, but  I think now is the time the Mavs pull off an "upset". I think Mavs are just as good, but we need a great day from Luka and defensively stand stronger, then I dont see any chance for Celtics to win this one.
Like Reply
Powell should be traded December 15th. That is a very bad contract. It's not THJ level, but probably top 20 worst contracts in the league. As many of us stated over the summer, you spend money on stars and then use exceptions on role players. That was a boneheaded move by the Mavs.
Like Reply
(11-10-2019, 11:51 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Powell should be traded December 15th. That is a very bad contract. It's not THJ level, but probably top 20 worst contracts in the league. As many of us stated over the summer, you spend money on stars and then use exceptions on role players. That was a boneheaded move by the Mavs.
I was one of the biggest opponents of the extension and wanted no part of it while pointing out plenty better deals other players of Powell's mold have signed. That being said, Dwight had basically no preseason due to his injury and he as a player is very dependent on other guys to set him up and team chemistry in general. I doubt he will play this subpar all season, Imo it can only get better with him. Hopefully he can turn it around quickly and get back to where he was as a rim runner.

Otherwise it's tough argueing him being a starter instead of e.g. Maxi who has shot the ball well and does his thing on defense.
Like Reply
(11-10-2019, 11:51 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Powell should be traded December 15th. That is a very bad contract. .

You realize those two sentences are rather mutually exclusive?
Like Reply
(11-10-2019, 12:00 PM)JamesConway Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 11:51 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Powell should be traded December 15th. That is a very bad contract. It's not THJ level, but probably top 20 worst contracts in the league. As many of us stated over the summer, you spend money on stars and then use exceptions on role players. That was a boneheaded move by the Mavs.
I was one of the biggest opponents of the extension and wanted no part of it while pointing out plenty better deals other players of Powell's mold have signed. That being said, Dwight had basically no preseason due to his injury and he as a player is very dependent on other guys to set him up and team chemistry in general. I doubt he will play this subpar all season, Imo it can only get better with him. Hopefully he can turn it around quickly and get back to where he was as a rim runner.

Otherwise it's tough argueing him being a starter instead of e.g. Maxi who has shot the ball well and does his thing on defense.
Being out the preseason has zero to do with effort/defense/rebounding. Yes it effects offense quite a bit, but I honestly think his rim running is being shut down for the most part until he shows something else. Everyone has started to collapse on him in the lane and they know Luka wants to throw the lob. As far as your other comments about trading him and it's a bad contract, yes I understand the two don't really go together. We might be able to trade him in December by others thinking he's rusty from missing the preseason as you stated. If he performs like this in 2020, he'll be stuck here.
Like Reply
(11-10-2019, 12:34 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 12:00 PM)JamesConway Wrote:

Being out the preseason has zero to do with effort/defense/rebounding. Yes it effects offense quite a bit, but I honestly think his rim running is being shut down for the most part until he shows something else. Everyone has started to collapse on him in the lane and they know Luka wants to throw the lob. As far as your other comments about trading him and it's a bad contract, yes I understand the two don't really go together. We might be able to trade him in December by others thinking he's rusty from missing the preseason as you stated. If he performs like this in 2020, he'll be stuck here.

I agree he is just as horrible on defense and shooting and effort as he was last year. He is a solid bench player, one JJB can throw the lob to and thats it.
Like Reply
Keys:
  • Boston's depth: Mavs are a team with two superstars and role player depth. Boston has no superstars, but is very deep in starting caliber players. Tatum, Brown, Hayward, and Walker are able to give you 40 a night if they get hot. Of course Gordon going down is a major bummer, but their starting lineup is still no joke.
  • Elite opponent: Boston is not only 7-1, their numbers also suggest that they are a contender, being top 5 in both defense and offense. Mavs will need their A+ game to beat them and keep their perfect road record. The Garden is also usually one of the tougher venues to play. Fans go crazy especially in these top matchups.
  • Dominate the glass: Despite being elite in many categories, the Celtics are not without flaws. Currently their tallest player is 6-8, and they are a bad rebounding team. With Boban, Maxi, and most importantly KP we should have a distinct advantage on the glass. This is also a matchup that Dwight Powell should be not as bad against because they neither have particularly long or particularly strong centers.
  • KP's return: After the scheduled miss, KP should be well rested and able to thrive against much smaller defenders. Celtics are smart though and I hope the Mavericks will be able to get him good looks close to the rim.
  • Give Justin Jackson more burn: I really like Jackson and hope we can somehow find minutes for him in the 15-20 range. As written the other day he might be one of our better three point shooters. Not sure however Rick is willing to play him over THJ.
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
Mavs are 4-0 on the road, the only undefeated road team (to which I say https://youtu.be/3Yd3lQVbkYc )

Boston is 7-1, but they lost Hayward. Hopefully the Mavs come out looking to smack Boston in the jaw and set the tone.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-10-2019, 04:32 PM)j0Shi Wrote: Mavs are a team with two superstars and role player depth. Boston has no superstars

I really respect your takes before and after the game, but here I think you are way off. You think KP is a superstar while Kemba and Tatum aren't?
Like Reply
(11-10-2019, 05:13 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 04:32 PM)j0Shi Wrote: Mavs are a team with two superstars and role player depth. Boston has no superstars

I really respect your takes before and after the game, but here I think you are way off. You think KP is a superstar while Kemba and Tatum aren't?
I have to agree. If KP is a superstar, then Kemba has to be at a minimum. Tatum is a budding star in the making.
Like Reply
(11-10-2019, 05:13 PM)omahen Wrote:

He's an eloquent troll don't bite.
Like Reply
(11-10-2019, 05:13 PM)omahen Wrote: I really respect your takes before and after the game, but here I think you are way off. You think KP is a superstar while Kemba and Tatum aren't?

Kemba has the stats and swagger, but if you look at the last couple years and the players that dominated the league, you won't find many small guards with the most prominent exception being Steph Curry. And that dude might be the best shooter of all time. Even Kyrie hasn't shown the ability to lead a team to contention. Westbrook? No, and he's much more athletic. Chris Paul has a weird playoff resume, Dame however might be in. What I'm saying is that the true superstars of this era are mostly wings and bigs. Those are the guys that will bring you (chances at) titles. That said, if your definition of "superstar" is top 20, Kemba is definitely in.

Tatum? He had such a weird sophomore year and imho he's still not all the way back to the promise that was his rookie season. Top starter on the verge of a star, certainly not a superstar. You can make the same case for KP because it's more potential than reality right now, but KP at least has shown what he's capable of and is an All-Star already. KP is going to be a superstar unless health prevents it.
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
(11-10-2019, 07:22 PM)j0Shi Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 05:13 PM)omahen Wrote: I really respect your takes before and after the game, but here I think you are way off. You think KP is a superstar while Kemba and Tatum aren't?

Kemba has the stats and swagger, but if you look at the last couple years and the players that dominated the league, you won't find many small guards with the most prominent exception being Steph Curry. And that dude might be the best shooter of all time. Even Kyrie hasn't shown the ability to lead a team to contention. Westbrook? No, and he's much more athletic. Chris Paul has a weird playoff resume, Dame however might be in. What I'm saying is that the true superstars of this era are mostly wings and bigs. Those are the guys that will bring you (chances at) titles. That said, if your definition of "superstar" is top 20, Kemba is definitely in.

Tatum? He had such a weird sophomore year and imho he's still not all the way back to the promise that was his rookie season. Top starter on the verge of a star, certainly not a superstar. You can make the same case for KP because it's more potential than reality right now, but KP at least has shown what he's capable of and is an All-Star already. KP is going to be a superstar unless health prevents it.
That's a fair take
Like Reply
I wonder if Boston puts Marcus Smart, on KP or Luka when he comes in the game?
Like Reply
Seeing the Celtics leading us in the pre game poll is giving me a good feeling about this one. Last time that happened was against Denver so I predict Mavs win now like I did in that game.

Then a couple games later we had the Knicks game where over 90% of the board thought we would win.

Let's try this joo joo again, I say we win (and then blow another game against a weak team soon but a win here would be exciting enough to be worth it)
Like Reply