Poll: Who gets the Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
KP (-3, 29 pts, 1 blk, 2 stl, 3 ast, 11 rbd)
66.67%
22 66.67%
THJ (+14, 19 pts, 4 ast, 7 rbd)
24.24%
8 24.24%
Luka (+4, 23 pts, 1 blk, 2 stl, 11 ast, 8 rbd)
0%
0 0%
JB (+10, 17 pts, 1 stl, 6 ast, 2 rbd)
3.03%
1 3.03%
RB (+15, 5 pts, 2 ast, 3 rbd)
6.06%
2 6.06%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 13 DIRKIE: Winner KP (67%) | Runner-up THJ (24%)
And for the record, I think good-natured ribbing (as in making fun of) is fine, personally. Makes the place more fun, even. 

I will of course go with the flow of what makes the majority of the people who run this place and spend time here comfortable, and I certainly don't believe I made fun of anyone in this thread. BUT, I'm absolutely ok with people using humor in conversations with me, even though they have opposing viewpoints.
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 12:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: good-natured ribbing

No question. It is good for the board.

But there is a fine line between good-natured ribbing (where you know there is a base of respect and listening) and mocking of others (where respect and listening are absent). I will contend that the vast majority of the time when people get upset, it is because they aren't feeling heard and respected.
Like Reply
(11-16-2021, 03:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I just think we have two, drastically different levels of appreciation for DFS. I'm not trying to convince you mine is correct and yours is false. BUT, to this point, I think there's reason to believe the Mavericks are closer to where I am with it (though things change).

EDIT: if it's not clear above, I DON'T think DFS's leadership qualities are THE reason he's so important for this team. I think he's a vastly underrated PLAYER. That's my point.
I entered the conversation making a point about the leadership qualities you wrote about with DFS on this team. You seemed to talk past that and turned it into a DFS the player conversation to which I obliged.

As far as the italicized and bolded sentence in the quote? I think you are off on the word drastically. Sure i think there are a lot of players out there that can do what he does and I think there are some that can do it better. That's because his position and size has some of the most skilled players in the game. Guys that can create, can drive, can shoot, can defend multiple positions and well, guys that are defensive stoppers, guys that are hustlers. I don't mean to say this as if DFS is a dime-a-dozen, because he is not, it's just a very elite and coveted size and position.
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 12:18 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I will contend that the vast majority of the time when people get upset, it is because they aren't feeling heard and respected.

Ok, and reading through this thread, you're comfortable with the claim that I'm culpable for those feelings in this case?

Are we saying that those feelings automatically trigger a factual acceptance that someone else is at fault, and that there's not a chance that the upset party is simply reading too much into things, having a bad day, whatever?
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 12:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: What are we doing here, guys?
Like Reply
BTW, I hope you got that my sig change was my attempt to joke back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Mapka
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 12:19 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: You seemed to talk past that and turned it into a DFS the player conversation to which I obliged.

I wasn't "talking past it." I was absorbing and understanding your point, and then clarifying my original point (which might not have been clear enough) that the leadership qualities weren't the marginalized aspects of DFS that led me to my "underrated" opinion. I was using your point to narrow the conversation and add nuance to the discussion. 

I AGREE with your point as it relates to BOBAN, and to a certain extent, Powell. I thought that was clear. We differ on DFS, and the point of this clarification from me was that I don't believe you have to go past his contributions on the floor to justify his job here or view him as GREAT. The point of the clarification was to clear up the possible misconception that locker room stuff (which I had mentioned, for sure) was what I considered the best part of DFS's bag. 

The point is that after reading YOUR post, I felt like MY point was being misrepresentedBecause I had mentioned the intangibles, which I do believe are off the charts with this player, I was concerned that I had hit that part too hard and it had drawn focus away from what I INTENDED to be the point. 

(11-17-2021, 12:19 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: As far as the italicized and bolded sentence in the quote? I think you are off on the word drastically. Sure i think there are a lot of players out there that can do what he does and I think there are some that can do it better. That's because his position and size has some of the most skilled players in the game. Guys that can create, can drive, can shoot, can defend multiple positions and well, guys that are defensive stoppers, guys that are hustlers. I don't mean to say this as if DFS is a dime-a-dozen, because he is not, it's just a very elite and coveted size and position.

Cool!

Nothing you said above makes me angry - it's all your opinion. 

I do think my opinion drastically differs from some things I read here, and on twitter. I think that word does its job well in this case, although I am prone to hyperbole (I've used it so much for comedic purposes in my life that it rolls out involuntarily). 

I am sorry my use of "drastic" made you uncomfortable. I sincerely apologize, and would never, ever want to make posting here a bad experience for you or anyone else.
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 12:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Ok, and reading through this thread, you're comfortable with the claim that I'm culpable for those feelings in this case?

Are we saying that those feelings automatically trigger a factual acceptance that someone else is at fault, and that there's not a chance that the upset party is simply reading too much into things, having a bad day, whatever?

I have not blamed you or made you culpable of anything. I have just been trying to explain things in a generic sense. 

Of course, the upset person COULD be wrong, but I think it behooves us to assume they are correct (especially from their perspective and perception). A lot of bullying and abuse in our world is set aside in the name of people just "being too sensitive."
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 12:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I do think my opinion drastically differs from some things I read here, and on twitter.
When you said "we", I didn't read it as "some things I read here and on twitter". I read it as you and me. I'm sorry I didn't take that as the royal "we".

Also, sorry for being a part of being where this conversation got. I did feel misunderstood and misrepresented because I DO like DFS, the player, the person, the leader.
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 12:51 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: When you said "we", I didn't read it as "some things I read here and on twitter". I read it as you and me. I'm sorry I didn't take that as the royal "we".

Oh, my dude, I DID mean that, specific "we" as you and me.

I would've extended DFS already, at the maximum allowed (not a max contract, but the top end of his extension eligibility)

I would already be making plans to celebrate life-long Mav hero, the great Dorian Finney-Smith, on the day he retires from the team and the starting lineup of THIS TEAM at age 45. 

You don't think it's fair to use "drastic" from there ^^^^ to where you are with him?

(11-17-2021, 12:51 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I DO like DFS, the player, the person, the leader.

Never thought, felt or meant to suggest otherwise!
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 12:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I would already be making plans to celebrate life-long Mav hero, the great Dorian Finney-Smith, on the day he retires from the team and the starting lineup of THIS TEAM at age 45. 

You don't think it's fair to use "drastic" from there ^^^^ to where you are with him?
I guess if you actually believe that (it's really hard to believe) then sure, whatever. I've always taken that as closer to a bit, than real life. That for sure means he is overrated by you!
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 01:05 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I guess if you actually believe that (it's really hard to believe) then sure, whatever. I've always taken that as closer to a bit, than real life.

It's a little of both, but this discussion leads me to believe it's closer to the truth for me than you think. 

I really like DFS's game. Like, a LOT. 

(11-17-2021, 01:05 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: That for sure means he is overrated by you!

Perhaps. I'm comfortable with that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
So, is it time to move this thread to ROTW?

Oh, actually, before that...I have one more comment:

That little statement about "those peole who like Killer's posts"....

I LIKE EVERYONE'S POSTS!!!!

I like, like, twenty posts a day.

I've never considered that to be a negative thing, or thought someone would criticize that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 01:17 PM)fifteenth Wrote: That little statement about "those people who like Killer's posts"....

[Image: jonah-hill-excited.gif]
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 01:17 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I've never considered that to be a negative thing, or thought someone would criticize that.
It's only a negative if you think it is. When KL posts, there are a couple that think very similar to what he thinks, and it doesn't take long to see it through the likes. Is that wrong to point that out as an observation?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
My posts are rad.

They're criminally underrated, and way more people should like them.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, ItsGoTime, mavsluvr
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 01:26 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: there are a couple that think very similar to what he thinks

with astonishing clarity and rare style?
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, mavsluvr
Like Reply
[Image: Porzingis-drives-the-Mavericks-who-beat-Nuggets.jpg]
Like Reply
(11-17-2021, 01:26 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: It's only a negative if you think it is. When KL posts, there are a couple that think very similar to what he thinks, and it doesn't take long to see it through the likes. Is that wrong to point that out as an observation?

OK IGT. My bad. I misunderstoof this post when I said "what the heck".

I get it now. 

You were just saying "the people that like Killer's posts" refering to all the people that are thinking that the board underrates DFS 

I get it.
Like Reply
For the record, I checked my profile. Looks like I've liked like 10% of all the posts ever made on the forum!!

I wonder if I'm winning as the person that likes the most stuff
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply