Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jalen Brunson and Dorian Finney-Smith are eligible for 4-year, $55 million extensions
(10-03-2021, 11:50 PM)F Gump Wrote: I understand why we don't want Brunson to be a talent who got away for nothing. Nor do we want him to become an overpaid albatross that we're stuck with, either.

But one part of the discussion that I don't tend to see mentioned in these Brunson discussions is whether a trade can actually solve that. How much would another team be willing to give if the Mavs were trying to trade him? It just seems to be assumed it will be something strong -- but would it?

Are the Mavs getting offers for him that even move the needle?

Says he's traded at the deadline, or anywhere in-between. In essence, what that other team is obtaining is a rest-of-season rental, after which Brunson will become a UFA. They also will hold his Bird rights as a UFA (whatever that might be worth).

It's the same hand we don't want the Mavs to have to play --- but if it's such a crappy hand, how much is anyone else really going to be willing to pay to hold it?

And trading him for a future pick, while that always seems sexy and valuable when the trade happens, how much value is there is landing the next Josh Green, Ty Terry, or Tiger Bey? Yuck. I'd certainly much rather have Brunson for a year and take my chances in the summer, if something like that was the offer being presented. What can the Mavs do to turn JB into something that makes them better, and better for a long time? Is that even a real possibility, or do we want a super solution that isn't even out there?

Good point taken. 

Many of us want them to decide whether they want to keep the player long term (at a good price, hopefully) or reset the asset clock by swapping him out for someone younger or maybe someone less promising, but locked into a value contract at a position that makes sense here. As you said, pick(s) would probably be a heavy vote getter if we did a poll, too. 

But, you're right. Without knowing what is possible in trade, it's hard to hold them accountable for any overall strategy. And, the scenario that worries some of us (one more great year of Brunson before he gets lured away to another team by a big contract) is probably not the worst case scenario. At least you get the last year of Brunson.
Like Reply
If Brunson gets better, as most here think he will, then he's going to get paid in his next contract. After all, this is a "contract year" for him so he has motivation beyond just yearly incremental improvements. But as good has JB might get, he'll still be trapped behind Luka. At least I can't envision a world were they are both starters on a high performing team.

All of which means, he's going to get a much bigger contract but who's going to pay is still up in the air.

The other side is JB stays the same or regresses or gets injured, in which case he'll probably have to take whatever Cuban offers.
Like Reply