Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jalen Brunson and Dorian Finney-Smith are eligible for 4-year, $55 million extensions
According to the DMN

I think these would both be an excellent deal for the Mavs

Thoughts?
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
I don't believe Brunson will settle for that, I think he wants to be UFA.

I sure hope DFS signs for that. If he hits FA, he will be getting money thrown his way for sure.
Like Reply
I want to see them with a new coach first.
Like Reply
(09-29-2021, 12:16 PM)embellisher Wrote: I sure hope DFS signs for that. If he hits FA, he will be getting money thrown his way for sure.

I don't think so. He is a nice player, but he is not an elite level defender and he is limited offensively. Besides he is in his prime already so there is no potential high ceiling. I think his market value is MLE level.
[-] The following 6 users Like omahen's post:
  • BasketballJones41, BigDirk41, ItsGoTime, michaeltex, Paul Gasol, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(09-29-2021, 01:02 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't think so. He is a nice player, but he is not an elite level defender and he is limited offensively. Besides he is in his prime already so there is no potential high ceiling. I think his market value is MLE level.

The way the cap is developing an average salary of 13.75 per year will only be slightly more than the MLE. Based on the current cap projections a 4-year MLE level contract with 5% raise would end up in the 4/43-44 range. If the rumors about a potential cap spike are true it could be even more.
Bigger problem will be the luxury tax. As of now (including all guaranteed salaries) the Mavs simply cannot sign both and avoid the tax.
Like Reply
This is the most understated story line on this board.  As already stated, won't be able to keep both and avoid the tax.  Combining that fact with the fact that we have a new FO...easy to see one of them being moved at the deadline.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • embellisher
Like Reply
(09-29-2021, 12:16 PM)embellisher Wrote: I don't believe Brunson will settle for that, I think he wants to be UFA.

I sure hope DFS signs for that. If he hits FA, he will be getting money thrown his way for sure.

The way I understand it is 4/55 is his max, regardless of whether he hits UFA or not. So I don't think he really has a choice between settling for that or trying to get more somewhere else. He can get 4/55 from the Mavs or from someone else in UFA. Same money, regardless. At least I think that's how it will work for him. Same with DFS. A resident cap expert can correct me if I'm wrong though. So if they leave for more money it will be because the Mavs refused to offer that 4/55 while someone else was willing to pay it, or maybe in the case of Brunson for instance, another team offers him a starting role that we won't.
Like Reply
(09-29-2021, 01:54 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: The way I understand it is 4/55 is his max, regardless of whether he hits UFA or not. So I don't think he really has a choice between settling for that or trying to get more somewhere else. He can get 4/55 from the Mavs or from someone else in UFA. Same money, regardless. At least I think that's how it will work for him. Same with DFS. A resident cap expert can correct me if I'm wrong though. So if they leave for more money it will be because the Mavs refused to offer that 4/55 while someone else was willing to pay it, or maybe in the case of Brunson for instance, another team offers him a starting role that we won't.

You are not correct here. 4/55 is max extension. He can get max as an UFA, if someone is willing to give it.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • embellisher, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(09-29-2021, 01:54 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: The way I understand it is 4/55 is his max, regardless of whether he hits UFA or not.

4/55 is the reported max for a Brunson extension signed between now and June 30.

Brunson's max in July free agency, signing with another team, based on the projected 119M cap, would be 4/128.
Like Reply
(09-29-2021, 02:40 PM)F Gump Wrote: 4/55 is the reported max for a Brunson extension signed between now and June 30.

Brunson's max in July free agency, signing with another team, based on the projected 119M cap, would be 4/128.

Wow I was completely wrong. Thank you for correcting. Man, I really hope someone doesn't try to throw 20 million a year or something at him.
Like Reply
(09-29-2021, 02:45 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Wow I was completely wrong. Thank you for correcting. Man, I really hope someone doesn't try to throw 20 million a year or something at him.

I guess that's the tough part. You extend him early and he's probably grateful, plus you might end up with a sweet deal if he continues to improve. If you don't, you absolutely avoid any chance of overpaying, but then if he has another great year and takes the next step, the price will probably go up significantly.

It's a pickle.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • embellisher
Like Reply
(09-29-2021, 01:21 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The way the cap is developing an average salary of 13.75 per year will only be slightly more than the MLE. Based on the current cap projections a 4-year MLE level contract with 5% raise would end up in the 4/43-44 range. If the rumors about a potential cap spike are true it could be even more.

I agree. I was replying to a comment saying that DFS could attract more than 4/55 in FA. I think 4/55 is more than fair for DFS and I see little reason why he would reject it. Of course I have no idea if that offer is on the table.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(09-29-2021, 02:55 PM)omahen Wrote: I think 4/55 is more than fair for DFS and I see little reason why he would reject it. Of course I have no idea if that offer is on the table.

Highest minute total for years. Uber professional. Team-first guy. Humble. Does the little things, the dirty work. Plays and lives with a contagious sense of joy. Competes without fear. 

If that deal isn't on the table right now, I think it's a major misstep from management, personally. Every team in the league is looking for guys like DFS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Just make up your mind and make a decision. Extend or trade.

If either player walks in FA without a proper return it would be yet another blow to the already narrow asset base.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesConway's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(09-29-2021, 03:58 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Just make up your mind and make a decision. Extend or trade.

If either player walks in FA without a proper return it would be yet another blow to the already narrow asset base.

The deadline is more than 9 months away.

However, if I'm the Mavs, my degree of urgency won't be determined by the calendar. It has to be decided by the cost - how much money will it take to do a deal? The Mavs can talk, but they can't dictate terms.
Like Reply
Way too much for Brunson.  I was hoping to get DFS for a deal less expensive than that (somewhere closer to a Bullock deal).
Like Reply
(09-29-2021, 02:45 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Wow I was completely wrong. Thank you for correcting. Man, I really hope someone doesn't try to throw 20 million a year or something at him.

If he develops into a true PG this season, somebody who doesn't just create for himself, but for others as well, he will have a 4x20 deal thrown at him. Book it.
Like Reply
(09-29-2021, 10:00 PM)cow Wrote: Way too much for Brunson. 

BE PREPARED
Like Reply
If Brunson looks even halfway competent as a PG this season, he's going to want to test free agency to see how good of a deal he can get. I don't see him ever getting to starter status in DAL as long as Luka's around.
Like Reply
(09-30-2021, 08:51 AM)michaeltex Wrote: If Brunson looks even halfway competent as a PG this season, he's going to want to test free agency to see how good of a deal he can get. I don't see him ever getting to starter status in DAL as long as Luka's around.

Agree with the first part, not sure I'm totally on board with the last point. It's not a horrible fit, imo, especially if you believe (as I do) that Luka's defense is already improving and not something they'll need to work around for his entire career.
Like Reply