Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jalen Brunson and Dorian Finney-Smith are eligible for 4-year, $55 million extensions
(09-29-2021, 11:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: BE PREPARED

I'd probably be disappointed if he signed for half of his maximum.
Like Reply
(09-30-2021, 04:20 PM)cow Wrote: I'd probably be disappointed if he signed for half of his maximum.

The extension max, or the following free agency max?
Like Reply
What is the going rate for a back-up PG anyway?
Like Reply
(09-30-2021, 04:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The extension max, or the following free agency max?

Extension.
Like Reply
(09-30-2021, 05:09 PM)chaparral Wrote: What is the going rate for a back-up PG anyway?

They don't all get paid the same. 

Fred VanVleet was a backup point guard. Early on some compared Jalen to Fred. Interesting thing is, if this comparison holds any water, it looks like year 4 is where Fred's game really took off.
Like Reply
To me, the question is whether Brunson is going to be content as the backup to Luka for the next several years. He'll still get significant playing time, fair visibility, a lot of wins and (hopefully) chances to play for the championship.

But if he wants to be the lead dog, then he's going to have to find another sled.
Like Reply
(10-01-2021, 11:36 AM)michaeltex Wrote: To me, the question is whether Brunson is going to be content as the backup to Luka for the next several years. He'll still get significant playing time, fair visibility, a lot of wins and (hopefully) chances to play for the championship.

But if he wants to be the lead dog, then he's going to have to find another sled.

In the Take Dat Wit You podcast this week, Dameris and Followill discussed the extensions. Both said they don't think Brunson is going to be interested in an extension, and that he will probably try out free agency, where he will be seeking increased money and a bigger role.
Like Reply
(10-01-2021, 11:45 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: In the Take Dat Wit You podcast this week, Dameris and Followill discussed the extensions. Both said they don't think Brunson is going to be interested in an extension, and that he will probably try out free agency, where he will be seeking increased money and a bigger role.

In this case the decision not to trade him (so far), is very strange
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(10-01-2021, 11:46 AM)omahen Wrote: In this case the decision not to trade him (so far), is very strange

Cuban has a long history of letting his players' contracts expire, rather than trading them when he doesn't expect to re-sign them.
Like Reply
(10-01-2021, 11:58 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Cuban has a long history of letting his players' contracts expire, rather than trading them when he doesn't expect to re-sign them.

Smart Smile
Like Reply
(10-01-2021, 11:58 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Cuban has a long history of letting his players' contracts expire, rather than trading them when he doesn't expect to re-sign them.

If Nico could somehow change this philosophy it would be huge.  In my view Brunson is a perfect example - a player good enough to get something back in trade and probably talented enough to take on a bigger role than what he would be able to have on the Mavs.  Seems like a trade would be a win/win for both the player and the team.
Like Reply
(10-01-2021, 12:19 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: If Nico could somehow change this philosophy it would be huge.  In my view Brunson is a perfect example - a player good enough to get something back in trade and probably talented enough to take on a bigger role than what he would be able to have on the Mavs.  Seems like a trade would be a win/win for both the player and the team.

I am not disagreeing with that, just making observations on what the situation seems to be.

Nico is still learning the job himself. Brian and Mark talked about this a little on their previous pod. While Nico's experience and relationships as a shoe executive are valuable, they don't mean he knows how to be a GM, and he has really been thrown into the deep end. According to Brian, anyway. 

I think there is a reason Cuban hired a GM who has no experience in the field. A guy who has done it before might come in with his own ideas about how things should be done. And those might not match up with the way Cubes likes to do business, even if they're good ideas. With a tenderfoot like Nico, Cuban really has no reason to think that guy knows any more about roster-building than Mark does. 

So far, Cuban appears to be using Nico more as the guy to re-organize basketball operations, looking for more structure and accountability. In that area of responsibility, he reportedly does have a lot of experience in the way of organizational management. 

tl;dr   I don't know that it is realistic of us to think that Nico is going to persuade Mark to build rosters a different way, at least for the time being.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • jesusshuttlesworth82
Like Reply
(10-01-2021, 12:19 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: If Nico could somehow change this philosophy it would be huge.  In my view Brunson is a perfect example - a player good enough to get something back in trade and probably talented enough to take on a bigger role than what he would be able to have on the Mavs.  Seems like a trade would be a win/win for both the player and the team.

It might not be a problem with the overall philosophy of these situations. It might be as simple as reaching an earlier consensus from the top to the bottom of the organization on what, exactly, the answer is to the emboldened. 

When it comes to Brunson, specifically, I feel like the whole organization believes in his talent but there might be differing viewpoints on whether or not his role here can increase. I'll speculate further and say that I bet disagreements about things like that are not uncommon in pro sports organizations. It's probably quite difficult to get everyone on the same page, especially ownership.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(10-01-2021, 12:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: When it comes to Brunson, specifically, I feel like the whole organization believes in his talent but there might be differing viewpoints on whether or not his role here can increase. I'll speculate further and say that I bet disagreements about things like that are not uncommon in pro sports organizations. It's probably quite difficult to get everyone on the same page, especially ownership.

I think there is another layer to decisions around Brunson that I find interesting.  Not only does Dallas have to decide what Brunson, the player, is worth.  In a LT world, they also have to decide what they are willing to pay for a 12-16 minute backup PG.  It wouldn’t shock me to see Brunson break the MLE next summer.  I think the comps make a good argument for that.  It would mildly surprise me if he did it here given his limited role.  

They just simply aren’t going to pay all of their bench guys MLE money.  They already have Maxi and Bullock at that level.  Both are two position guys and near starters.  It is much more conceivable either of them might get 25-30 minutes.  I’m not sure you can say the same for Brunson.  If Brunson was 6’ 5” and could play two positions I think he’d have a better chance at MLE money here.  But, if all he is is that 12-16 minute guy, they can find that much more cheaply elsewhere.  That is why Moses is so important. He’s cost controlled for years.  Sterling, Green and Frank are fairly cheap too.  

The next question is what should Dallas do about it.  Brunson is an important piece for the current season.  But, you also don’t want to lose him for nothing.  He doesn’t necessarily have to be traded by the TDL to get value.  If the team that wants him doesn’t have cap room, there is an opportunity to make a deal in free agency.  Waiting that long is a risk, but so is doing a deal involving a PG mid season.  
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • fifteenth, ReunionMav
Like Reply
(10-03-2021, 09:35 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The next question is what should Dallas do about it.  Brunson is an important piece for the current season.  But, you also don’t want to lose him for nothing.  He doesn’t necessarily have to be traded by the TDL to get value.  If the team that wants him doesn’t have cap room, there is an opportunity to make a deal in free agency.  Waiting that long is a risk, but so is doing a deal involving a PG mid season.  

In case positions of the team and player are like this, the situation should have been addressed a couple of months ago.

There is another perspective, though.

Looking from both players perspective, I have a hard time believing both Brunson and DFS would turn down max extension if they are willing to stay. I think it is risky for them to think they can get more than that on the free agency market. With Brunson of course there can be a question about role from his side. But leaving that aside we could also conclude, that max extension is not on the table at this point, because Dallas thinks they are worth less and there really is not that much hurry (same situation as THJ, for example). I think Dallas can't afford to lose any of them for nothing and I would assume their is mutual interest to remain "married". The open question is for how much. Since Dallas has bird rights, they can always offer whatever there is around on the open market. I am assuming Dallas is offering less than ful max extension at this point while guys think they are worth closer or over the max extension, especially if they have a good season. It will be much easier to pinpoint more accurate value after another season. 

I will be really dissapointed if Mavs lose another asset or two for nothing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(10-03-2021, 09:35 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think there is another layer to decisions around Brunson that I find interesting.  Not only does Dallas have to decide what Brunson, the player, is worth.  In a LT world, they also have to decide what they are willing to pay for a 12-16 minute backup PG.  It wouldn’t shock me to see Brunson break the MLE next summer.  I think the comps make a good argument for that.  It would mildly surprise me if he did it here given his limited role.  

That is interesting, but what I'm saying is that I don't believe it's a given that he'll be a backup, even here in Dallas. I think he could start on some teams right now, with more teams getting added to that list as he improves again this season (if he does), and my guess is that what they need to decide is not whether it's worth paying him as a generously compensated backup, because I think it's a forgone conclusion that he's on a collision course with starter money. To me, the only part of the mystery that truly matters is: Can Brunson start on this team?
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
If you consider him a backup, Cuban has only payed one backup PG more then $5mil in a season - Jason Terry.  Not even are beloved JJ Barea never made more them $4.2mil in a season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-03-2021, 12:13 PM)chaparral Wrote: If you consider him a backup, Cuban has only payed one backup PG more then $5mil in a season - Jason Terry.  Not even are beloved JJ Barea never made more them $4.2mil in a season.

Oh, yeah. Those who are convinced he is a 10 to 15 minute guy should be on team “trade him.” He can penetrate off the dribble and score inside. He is starting to shoot reliably off the catch and he’s even developing a pull up jumper. He’s going to get money from someone.
Like Reply
(10-03-2021, 11:40 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: That is interesting, but what I'm saying is that I don't believe it's a given that he'll be a backup,
Can Brunson start on this team?

That would change the calculus.  I think it more likely he finishes than starts.  But, that would be valuable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I understand why we don't want Brunson to be a talent who got away for nothing. Nor do we want him to become an overpaid albatross that we're stuck with, either.

But one part of the discussion that I don't tend to see mentioned in these Brunson discussions is whether a trade can actually solve that. How much would another team be willing to give if the Mavs were trying to trade him? It just seems to be assumed it will be something strong -- but would it?

Are the Mavs getting offers for him that even move the needle?

Says he's traded at the deadline, or anywhere in-between. In essence, what that other team is obtaining is a rest-of-season rental, after which Brunson will become a UFA. They also will hold his Bird rights as a UFA (whatever that might be worth).

It's the same hand we don't want the Mavs to have to play --- but if it's such a crappy hand, how much is anyone else really going to be willing to pay to hold it?

And trading him for a future pick, while that always seems sexy and valuable when the trade happens, how much value is there is landing the next Josh Green, Ty Terry, or Tiger Bey? Yuck. I'd certainly much rather have Brunson for a year and take my chances in the summer, if something like that was the offer being presented. What can the Mavs do to turn JB into something that makes them better, and better for a long time? Is that even a real possibility, or do we want a super solution that isn't even out there?
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply