Poll: What position do the Mavs need to improve most?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
BIG MAN -- a screen setter, roll man, and interior rim protector who can move his feet and control the boards
11.76%
4 11.76%
SECONDARY BIG -- a versatile defender who can be on the perimeter and bang down low and knock down a three
0%
0 0%
WING -- a spot-up shooter with good perimeter defense
0%
0 0%
SECONDARY SCORER -- a consistent scorer who can get buckets for himself under pressure
23.53%
8 23.53%
SECONDARY BALL-HANDLER -- a generator of offense for the team when Luka doesn't have the ball
61.76%
21 61.76%
BENCH DEPTH
2.94%
1 2.94%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What is the biggest roster need for DAL?
(08-05-2021, 08:31 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Not sure if it is a real answer to the question, but for me the biggest 2 needs are:

-Defensive anchor: I said it before, but I think team defense relies heavily on your best defensive player, just like you need an elite offensive talent you need an elite defensive talent. 
Someone who is a defensive team of the year before, or DPOY candidate. 

-Players who actually fills more than one need, hopefully on both ends: No one dimensional players, we need guys who can do multiple things especially on offense, for example a player who isn't only a shooter but also a creator for himself or for the others, or someone who can shoot but very good rim running. 
Doesn't seem we have many of those tbh.

Let's keep monitoring the Siakam situation in Toronto.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 02:33 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I don't see the option listed but they need a guy who can consistently get his own shot and make plays for others. A Secondary Creator i.e. pick and roll ball handler with elite perimeter isolation scoring ability.

I voted big man...but this, above, is probably our primary need.  Brunson is ok at getting his own shot, but he doesn't make plays for others.  And he is too small (I hate to say this because I've always been too small as well.  Maybe we ought to start an under 6' NBA offshoot...)
Like Reply
Definitely a legit second ball handler. Brunson just didn't cut it in the playoffs, he's really more one of those undersized 2s that Carlisle loved so much. 

We need someone we can put in for enough minutes that can actually run the offense for a little bit so that Luka won't be worn out by the 4th quarter
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 12:36 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Definitely a legit second ball handler. Brunson just didn't cut it in the playoffs

For the record, I can live with the bet that Brunson can take another step forward this year. I have learned not to underestimate him, and really the ONLY time he disappointed all year was in that Clippers series (his first playoff series ever - the rest of the team got experience in the bubble, but he was injured). I feel pretty confident that he'll do better the next time around. 

But, even if Brunson lives up to the best case scenario of what's possible, they're still going to need more players who can function in a variety of ways on offense. I believe this is axiomatic when one actually watches the NBA playoffs. I could be off-base - there's always another way, but goodness, the way this is set up there's so much pressure on Luka.
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 12:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: For the record, I can live with the bet that Brunson can take another step forward this year. I have learned not to underestimate him, and really the ONLY time he disappointed all year was in that Clippers series (his first playoff series ever - the rest of the team got experience in the bubble, but he was injured). I feel pretty confident that he'll do better the next time around. 

But, even if Brunson lives up to the best case scenario of what's possible, they're still going to need more players who can function in a variety of ways on offense. I believe this is axiomatic when one actually watches the NBA playoffs. I could be off-base - there's always another way, but goodness, the way this is set up there's so much pressure on Luka.

The problem with Jalen is that while his scoring went up with increased minutes last season, his assist numbers barely increased.  Maybe that's the talent around him while he's on the floor but my eye test has always said that he tends to get a little tunnel vision.  

We do need someone else who can run the offense.  When Luka and Jalen get dinged up and need to miss some games, this team is going to be lost.
Like Reply