Poll: What position do the Mavs need to improve most?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
BIG MAN -- a screen setter, roll man, and interior rim protector who can move his feet and control the boards
11.76%
4 11.76%
SECONDARY BIG -- a versatile defender who can be on the perimeter and bang down low and knock down a three
0%
0 0%
WING -- a spot-up shooter with good perimeter defense
0%
0 0%
SECONDARY SCORER -- a consistent scorer who can get buckets for himself under pressure
23.53%
8 23.53%
SECONDARY BALL-HANDLER -- a generator of offense for the team when Luka doesn't have the ball
61.76%
21 61.76%
BENCH DEPTH
2.94%
1 2.94%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What is the biggest roster need for DAL?
Question 
What position do the Mavs need to improve most?
Like Reply
1) a player who is able to help luka in quarter 1-3 so that luka has more power and energy for the finish.

2) we need a def SG, PF who can defend and play PnR with luka to death.

of course a second ballhander (maybe this could be the player from 1.)
Like Reply
Somebody, anybody else that can create some offense. Outside of Luka, Brunson is the only one with reasonable ability to create, though it’s primarily for himself. Many are imagining another ballhandler to come in to share the court with Luka and possibly close games, but man, if KP could just develop 1-2 areas of the court we could dump the ball to him and make things happen that would solve a ton of the stagnant offensive issues. 

Until someone else on the court can consistently make the defense pay when the ball is forced out of Luka’s hands, we'll be way too easy to defend when the intensity is dialed up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DrMav's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
I don't see the option listed but they need a guy who can consistently get his own shot and make plays for others. A Secondary Creator i.e. pick and roll ball handler with elite perimeter isolation scoring ability.
[-] The following 3 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • ballsrchr, fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
There are several areas I would like to see upgraded like wing or secondary ball handler. However, I think it's really about upgrading the bench. When Luka wasn't on the floor is when they really lost ground. It's easy to say another ball handler would fix that. But, Brunson is a good ball handler. And they need to move the ball as a team better anyway.

The problem is the ball gets passed and the possession stagnates. Or you get a guy like Trey Burke who is very hot or cold. They need more guys who can just hit open shots. They are getting them. They just aren't making them.

So, more ball movement as a team and more flow of everyone working together.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
BIG MAN -- a screen setter, roll man, and interior rim protector who can move his feet

Tied for biggest need with secondary ball handler. KP's year this year is all about whether he can be this. If not, rehab his value and trade him. 

SECONDARY BIG -- a versatile defender who can be on the perimeter and bang down low and knock down a three

Another Maxi? It'd be great to have another one, especially if he can stay healthy, but not biggest need.

WING -- a spot-up shooter with good perimeter defense

SECONDARY SCORER -- a consistent scorer who can get buckets for himself under pressure

Big need. KP and THJ are the best candidates, but each has flaws, mainly related to the "for himself" part. But not biggest need.

SECONDARY BALL-HANDLER -- a generator of offense for the team when Luka doesn't have the ball*

Tied for biggest need because of how it impacts the second half of the fourth quarter, the time Luka spends on the bench in the playoffs, and the long term health of Luka.

BENCH DEPTH

Last on the list imo
Like Reply
A wing who can create and score on his own.  Paul George would be perfect, but that is not happening.   A better defending Derozan would be excellent.  Ideally he would be the last part of your big three, but I would even take someone a little lower who can make things happen.  I think it would really open up our offense.

#2 is a PF who can play effectively with KP.    Right now, our 5 centers plus Maxi are no threat to score by themselves.   All, besides a healthy KP, rely on Luka to get them looks/easy shots.   The Mavs need someone who can put pressure on a defense.   Also need to be able to rebound above average at at least be average on defense.

I had hopes Mavs would address both this offseason.  So far we are 0-2.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
talent

Take away the best player on each team and our roster compares to the basement dwellers of the league.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wmffl87's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
For me, part of our problem with the secondary scorer is because we don't have a secondary ball handler that can adequately run the offense to get production out of the rest of the players, namely KP.  KP is ALWAYS going to have to depend on the offensive set to get the ball, like every big man ever.  That requires a ball handler, and when Luka is out of the game, we just don't have.  As long as KP is here, that's a concern, because that is the price you have when you have a max center that you need offensive production from to win.

In watching the Slovenian team, they moved the ball without Luka, and you saw that easily when they play.  They have more than one guy that can get to the hole, and have enough ball handling/play making to pass the ball...the Mavs don't.  Brunson isn't, THJ isn't, JRich wasn't, there is no one that is a playmaking person.

The truth is that we need a secondary ball-handler/playmaker who can score efficiently...that's why Kyle Lowry was such a great fit for Dallas...then he also plays great defense.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 2 users Like TXBamanut's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, SwisherPrice
Like Reply
Dragic - SBH when Luka sits.  Brunson had games where he looked really good.  Maybe he gets better at that role.
Like Reply
Rebounding.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • chaparral, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Secondary perimeter scorer/ball-handler are almost the same for me. Need an upgrade on the perimeter...someone who can create his own shot in a half court offense with the skillset to dish 4+ assists on any night. Luka's usage rate is too high...that's not the recipe for championship basketball. You look at most of the teams that advanced in the playoffs:

Bucks: Giannis/Middleton/Holiday
Suns: CP3/Booker
Hawks: Trae/Bogdan/Huerter/Gallinari (to an extent)
Clippers: Kawhi/PG/Reggie
Jazz: Mitchell/Conley/Bojan

If the Mavs had a legit #2 scorer like that, then everyone else in their current roles would be fine (ex: THJ and Brunson). But when there is no other shot-creator like that, you have gimmick basketball like rolling out Boban in the playoffs and force-feeding him the ball/
Like Reply
It seems to me that in the modern NBA, “secondary scorer” and “secondary creator” are most often one and the same. Whatever you want to call it, I feel it is painfully obvious that the Mavericks need more of that.

Guys like THJ, DFS, Brown, Bullock, Kleber and Porzingis are all really good fits with Luka as off-ball players.

I will be stranded in utter disbelief if at least one player who is not better on-ball than any of those guys is not added this off-season. Like, I will truly question my fandom. 

Right now, there are three people on this roster who can handle the ball and make decisions: Luka Doncic, Jalen Brunson and Trey Burke. I’m not even sure Brown is going to play more minutes than Burke the way the roster is set up, imo.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, jesusshuttlesworth82, Paul Gasol, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 05:33 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It seems to me that in the modern NBA, “secondary scorer” and “secondary creator” are most often one and the same. Whatever you want to call it, I feel it is painfully obvious that the Mavericks need more of that.

Guys like THJ, DFS, Brown, Bullock, Kleber and Porzingis are all really good fits with Luka as off-ball players.

I will be stranded in utter disbelief if at least one player who is not better on-ball than any of those guys is not added this off-season. Like, I will truly question my fandom. 

Right now, there are three people on this roster who can handle the ball and make decisions: Luka Doncic, Jalen Brunson and Trey Burke. I’m not even sure Brown is going to play more minutes than Burke the way the roster is set up, imo.

45 year old JJ Barea would probably be the 2nd best creator on this roster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jesusshuttlesworth82's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 05:35 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: 45 year old JJ Barea would probably be the 2nd best creator on this roster.

JS42 just saved the day. Call JJB!
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 05:39 PM)fifteenth Wrote: JS42 just saved the day. Call JJB!

He would have been better than Burke last season.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, fifteenth, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
The Mavs need another very good player to compliment Luka.  The position doesn’t really matter, though I doubt an excellent point guard would want to partner with Luka.
Like Reply
Someone that can effectively run a 4 on 3 when Luka gets trapped is a glaring weakness.
At the moment we have to rely on Brunson and that seems like a bad idea in a big game

Beyond that someone who can carry the load offensively the first 3 quarters would be nice. Luka is always so exhausted at the end of games
Like Reply
The fusion of Powell & Maxi into 1 player.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jakeospikez's post:
  • fifteenth, ItsGoTime, khaled1987, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Not sure if it is a real answer to the question, but for me the biggest 2 needs are:

-Defensive anchor: I said it before, but I think team defense relies heavily on your best defensive player, just like you need an elite offensive talent you need an elite defensive talent. 
Someone who is a defensive team of the year before, or DPOY candidate. 

-Players who actually fills more than one need, hopefully on both ends: No one dimensional players, we need guys who can do multiple things especially on offense, for example a player who isn't only a shooter but also a creator for himself or for the others, or someone who can shoot but very good rim running. 
Doesn't seem we have many of those tbh.
[-] The following 1 user Likes khaled1987's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply