Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stein just killed all hopes of Ujiri
They haven't hired Finley and Moseley yet.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 08:14 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: One more thing, if Finley is elevated and Cuban is not changing, I can't imagine they can attract a hot candidate to come in to be the third in line with decision making.

Speculation, but I think Voulgaris is back next year. I think he's probably participating in this hiring process.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 07:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm surprised so many people are ledge jumping over this. Things haven't really changed. I guess I was holding out a little hope about Ujiri or someone else who's serious, but honestly, even if Dallas was interested, I feel like the first person someone like that would call to get a sense of what it's like to work here is Donnie Nelson, their long time colleague with whom they have a relationship. 

We might think it was time for him to go, and it probably was. But, there's getting fired, which happens all the time, and then there's...whatever just happened here in Dallas.

I speak from no inside knowledge on this, obvs, but just based on my own life experience I can't imagine Nelson (or Carlisle, for that matter) have too many nice things to say about the front office approach in Dallas right about now, whereas in a more traditional firing I'm sure most professionals are reluctantly complimentary of certain areas of the franchise on the way out the door pretty often. Idk, but I just have a sinking suspicion this was a scorched earth breakup. 

Won't matter to a cheap, up and comer, just looking for an opportunity. If Stein's correct, that's what Cuban wants, anyway. 

And speaking of cheap, don't completely dismiss the notion that a desire to keep front office payroll manageable might be part of this thinking. We'll see - maybe they'll add three new positions instead of just paying one high profile guy the whole bag. But it could be that Cuban literally doesn't want to pony up for a guy like Ujiri.

It's not so much that I wanted Ujiri or anything like that. It just tells me that Cuban is the GM and will continue to be so. Finley as a player I love. But, let's not pretend that Finley in the front office isn't just the face of Cuban's dumb moves. He's going to be a yes man, the fall guy. I had thought that the last 3 years with tanking and picking up Luka, etc was him letting Donnie be the GM then we find out that's not the case.

It's just disheartening to know that the status quo will remain as long as Cuban owns the team. Maybe it will turn out great. Who knows. I have a feeling it's going to turn back into Cuban trying to smooze top FA and money whip guys to come. He probably thinks that Rick and Donnie held him back from snagging a top FA. I guarantee he thinks they will come now. That's the plan. It's plan powder part II with FA smoozing every offseason. Forget the draft. Those picks aren't worth his time.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 08:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Speculation, but I think Voulgaris is back next year. I think he's probably participating in this hiring process.

It gets worse... and worse... and worse...
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 08:21 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: It gets worse... and worse... and worse...

Whoa, whoa - just my thought. 

Makes sense to me, but I don't know anything. 

Hang in there, dude - it's not over yet.
Like Reply
What did the Clipps give up for Rivers?  I get wanting to be a nice guy and all but we are in desperate need of draft capital.  We should have squeezed Carlisle's next home for a FRP.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 08:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Whoa, whoa - just my thought. 

That's what I'm afraid of. This can't be all. There has to be more coming.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 08:21 PM)audiosway Wrote: It's not so much that I wanted Ujiri or anything like that. It just tells me that Cuban is the GM and will continue to be so. Finley as a player I love. But, let's not pretend that Finley in the front office isn't just the face of Cuban's dumb moves. He's going to be a yes man, the fall guy. I had thought that the last 3 years with tanking and picking up Luka, etc was him letting Donnie be the GM then we find out that's not the case.

It's just disheartening to know that the status quo will remain as long as Cuban owns the team. Maybe it will turn out great. Who knows. I have a feeling it's going to turn back into Cuban trying to smooze top FA and money whip guys to come. He probably thinks that Rick and Donnie held him back from snagging a top FA. I guarantee he thinks they will come now. That's the plan. It's plan powder part II with FA smoozing every offseason. Forget the draft. Those picks aren't worth his time.

I'm with you, but these are the emotions I went through over the course of the 2-3 days when the article surfaced, Donnie was fired and Coach Carlisle walked away from two years of guaranteed money and a chance to coach Luka Doncic. 

I mean, didn't we kind of see this type of announcement coming then?

(06-22-2021, 08:27 PM)cow Wrote: What did the Clipps give up for Rivers?  I get wanting to be a nice guy and all but we are in desperate need of draft capital.  We should have squeezed Carlisle's next home for a FRP.

He might not even have a new home this year, and I honestly think the biggest thing for Cuban was to get him out the door without being on the hook for his last two years of salary. That's what makes the most sense to me, anyway. 

Make more details about his crazy week will surface in the future.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 08:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm with you, but these are the emotions I went through over the course of the 2-3 days when the article surfaced, Donnie was fired and Coach Carlisle walked away from two years of guaranteed money and a chance to coach Luka Doncic. 

I mean, didn't we kind of see this type of announcement coming then?

I have been feeling this too. I had a feeling this announcement would come out. I had a sliver of hope that they would hire an actual GM but I knew deep inside that this would be the result. Like you said, how bad does it have to be when one of the top 3 coaches in the NBA walks away from 2 years of guaranteed money and coaching Luka? Wow.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 08:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Whoa, whoa - just my thought. 

Two things:
1) It's out there publicly even that Luka doesn't like Bob.
2) Bob did Green over Saddiq.

Either of those would be more than enough to not want Bob back next year. Together? It's life and death for there to be any hope whatsoever left for the future. 

The single worst thing to happen in the last week and a half is that we still haven't heard that Bob is fired or his contract won't be renewed. If they make it official that he's coming back, get ready for the major Mavs headlines making mention of the two words "qualifying offer" with frequency.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 08:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He might not even have a new home this year, and I honestly think the biggest thing for Cuban was to get him out the door without being on the hook for his last two years of salary. That's what makes the most sense to me, anyway. 

Make more details about his crazy week will surface in the future.

That's not a penny that should be pinched.  Carlisle isn't making your team better by quitting, I'm certainly not going to let him make some other team better (the competition) by letting him skirt on his commitment.  The goal is to win, not be friends.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 08:33 PM)cow Wrote: That's not a penny that should be pinched.  Carlisle isn't making your team better by quitting, I'm certainly not going to let him make some other team better (the competition) by letting him skirt on his commitment.  The goal is to win, not be friends.

I don't disagree...

But what I'm suggesting has nothing to do with friendship (though that might be the motivation, or part of it). I'm straight up saying that MAYBE Cuban doesn't feel like he can afford to lose anymore money on the Mavs. Or, that not losing money, whether he can afford to or not, is one of his primary concerns.

It's just a thought, really, but it has been a LONG time since my dude has thrown cash around like he used to.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 08:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't disagree...

But what I'm suggesting has nothing to do with friendship (though that might be the motivation, or part of it). I'm straight up saying that MAYBE Cuban doesn't feel like he can afford to lose anymore money on the Mavs. Or, that not losing money, whether he can afford to or not, is one of his primary concerns.

How much of a bath did he take on digital currency recently?  He was worth 4.5 Billion a few years back.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 08:21 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: It gets worse... and worse... and worse...

Oh no. Bob is our saviour. Cuban likely lost a shitload of money on the cryptocurrency bust Titan, so if Bob continues to give him "great advice" in that business area, he might lose so much money, that he´ll have to sell the Mavs. Big Grin
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 08:43 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Oh no. Bob is our saviour. Cuban likely lost a shitload of money on the cryptocurrency bust Titan, so if Bob continues to give him "great advice" in that business area, he might lose so much money, that he´ll have to sell the Mavs. Big Grin

The past week and a half have made you the hero of this board.

Not a good thing for Mavs fans, but I've been enjoying reading your stuff a great deal over the past week and a half. The happiest people on the Titanic in the final hours had to be those who could laugh at their fate.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 08:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Speculation, but I think Voulgaris is back next year. I think he's probably participating in this hiring process.

Wouldn't shock me.

All of Bob's enemies contributed to that piece, so the picture painted was ugly of course, but highly biased. But Cuban knows the truth. He knows what Bob has pushed for as far as organizational moves. Cuban may have been wishing he had been listening to Bob all along and not to other voices that are now gone. 

Time will tell.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 09:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Wouldn't shock me.

All of Bob's enemies contributed to that piece, so the picture painted was ugly of course, but highly biased. But Cuban knows the truth. He knows what Bob has pushed for as far as organizational moves. Cuban may have been wishing he had been listening to Bob all along and not to other voices that are now gone. 

Time will tell.

The rosiest take on the situation and it might not be wrong.  By all accounts, Bob doesn't have the interpersonal skills to be the GM so maybe Fin is the right choice.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 09:04 PM)cow Wrote: By all accounts, Bob doesn't have the interpersonal skills to be the GM so maybe Fin is the right choice.

Bingo. I said this right when all this happened, that Fin could be the "face" if Bob is in fact really good with behind the scenes decisions.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 09:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Bingo. I said this right when all this happened, that Fin could be the "face" if Bob is in fact really good with behind the scenes decisions.

Oh, come on, guys. Three words. Green over Saddiq. And we're done here.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 09:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Bingo. I said this right when all this happened, that Fin could be the "face" if Bob is in fact really good with behind the scenes decisions.

And if that's the case, and we are looking for an outside executive, what's the closest person to Morey that is available right now?
Like Reply