Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stein just killed all hopes of Ujiri
(06-22-2021, 06:13 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://media.giphy.com/media/11PMIEfajGXhGE/giphy.gif

https://giphy.com/gifs/hug-supernatural-...VEP0BeduG4
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 05:59 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Luka will walk all over Mosely. I'm calling that now. That is not a good situation.

My concerns would be:

1) Wasn´t Mosley the "defensive coordinator" under Carlisle? That wasn´t a very impressive body of work. 
2) All his interview processes with other teams seem to end after the opening round. He never gets called back for round two.
3) It´s easy to be the liked good uncle assistant with no ultimate responsibility, when your headcoach is very abrasive and choleric. It´s totally different to be the person in charge, making the hard line-up decisions yourself. 
4) I think you can actually challenge Luka hard and he´ll be receptive, but you have to do it a certain way and that faceslap that Mosley saw as a sign of encouragement/endearment wasn´t a good start. Luka looked confused and pissed.

I´m sure we´d all give Mosley/Finley more of a benefit of a doubt, but they would be rookies in their jobs and as internal promotions seen as Cuban puppets that lead to more of the same old problems.
Like Reply
I'm 5 1/2 hours from Mavs HQ...contemplating getting my pitchfork and flatten all of Cubans tires...

Cuban had to go and top his Plan Powder strategy...

Let's call this Plan Stupid...cause that is what he is...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 06:17 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://giphy.com/gifs/hug-supernatural-...VEP0BeduG4

Thanks...we all need this right now...we went from future contenders to counting down Luka's last days...
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 06:21 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I'm 5 1/2 hours from Mavs HQ...contemplating getting my pitchfork and flatten all of Cubans tires...

Cuban had to go and top his Plan Powder strategy...

Let's call this Plan Stupid...cause that is what he is...

I picked up a few Team Dissenter jerseys. Want one? I threw away my defender jersey.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...9061700612
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 06:17 PM)cow Wrote: Is Luka that bad or are we overblowing a few incidents?  Honest question.

I am basing that on media comments internally and externally that Luka's behavior has gotten to the point that it is remarked on around the league and is considered embarrassing. Sorry I can't remember exactly where to link to. Will keep an ear to the ground and try to report if I hear anything additional one way or the other. 

However, even the incidents which have been discussed on the board are disrespectful and not behavior a team should cheer on from its players. I particularly call attention to it because it appears characteristic of the disrespect, dysfunction, unprofessional behavior, and lack of boundaries that seems to permeate the organization.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 06:30 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I am basing that on media comments internally and externally that Luka's behavior has gotten to the point that it is remarked on around the league and is considered embarrassing. Sorry I can't remember exactly where to link to. Will keep an ear to the ground and try to report if I hear anything additional one way or the other. 

However, even the incidents which have been discussed on the board are disrespectful and not behavior a team should cheer on from its players. I particularly call attention to it because it appears characteristic of the disrespect, dysfunction, unprofessional behavior, and lack of boundaries that seems to permeate the organization.

You've watched all the games, is that the impression you got of Luka?  I see some outbursts when things don't go his way in the moment, but I have not seen any pattern of disrespect in his demeanor towards or comments about the coaching staff since he has been here.
Like Reply
Not a surprise...there was always zero chance Masai Ujiri was going to come here. A successful and established GM like him isn't going to come here and work under Cuban in the first place and Cuban knew it. Masai probably would end up throwing all of Cuban's ideas in the trash can and Cuban wouldn't like that.

The new GM will have to understand that Cuban is the top boss no matter what. That means no matter what kind of plan/strategy you have, if Cuban tells you that he wants another Plan Powder to chase superstar free agents or tells you what draft pick he wants, you say "Yes sir, right away!"
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 06:45 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: You've watched all the games, is that the impression you got of Luka?  I see some outbursts when things don't go his way in the moment, but I have not seen any pattern of disrespect in his demeanor towards or comments about the coaching staff since he has been here.

I have seen plenty of behavior from Luka toward the coach and other authority figures that I didn't consider entirely appropriate, but tended to attribute it to immaturity that the organization was for whatever reason electing not to rein in. 

My point in bringing it up in this management thread is that a new coach is unlikely to consider coaching Luka to be an altogether attractive proposition if Luka is allowed to continue publicly embarrassing the coaching staff and other co-workers like that. Just as outside GMs are apt to look unenthusiastically on the prospect of being treated disrespectfully by other members of management. And that it seems to be just another indication of what seems to be an extensive lack of discipline in the organization. (That is, my point is not to convert this into some sort of anti-Luka thread, it is more of a sign of what is rotten in Denmark.)
Like Reply
And Cuban thinks he is a Presidential Candidate...our country would be screwed up and probably implode...

Normally I would be all for anything that would take his focus away from the team due to being to busy but I draw the line at President...
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 07:11 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: And Cuban thinks he is a Presidential Candidate...our country would be screwed up and probably implode...

Normally I would be all for anything that would take his focus away from the team due to being to busy but I draw the line at President...

Hey if you thought Donald Trump was bad for international TRADE relations.... Big Grin
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 07:11 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: And Cuban thinks he is a Presidential Candidate...our country would be screwed up and probably implode...

I would NEVER vote for this guy to run the country.  Never...

But if you really, really wanted to fix the US...it's simple...

1)  sign Nick Saban to a 10 year contract
2)  give him the power to hire and fire

In 10 years, this place would be running like a top.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply

A presidential run is the only thing that can save the Mavericks from Cuban.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 07:16 PM)cow Wrote: A presidential run is the only thing that can save the Mavericks from Cuban.

RIP Dallas Mavericks...
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 05:33 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Cowboys-lite, cause Jerry got 3 Superbowls, Mark only got 1 Championship.

And that may be Cuban's only one the way things are shaking out. At least Jerry has 3.

(06-22-2021, 05:57 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Second news comfirmation of the day. The takeaway is that it's all true. Cuban is the GM. He's not going to bring us a real GM. 

Any winning will have to be done by overcoming the lack of a real GM. Maybe Finley and Mosely have the skill to succeed where Donnie and Rick could not.

That's one BIG maybe...
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 06:17 PM)cow Wrote: Is Luka that bad or are we overblowing a few incidents?  Honest question.

He's just 22. I would like to think he'll mature within the next few years. Nobody likes a diva, and from all accounts that's what he's becoming.
Like Reply
I'm surprised so many people are ledge jumping over this. Things haven't really changed. I guess I was holding out a little hope about Ujiri or someone else who's serious, but honestly, even if Dallas was interested, I feel like the first person someone like that would call to get a sense of what it's like to work here is Donnie Nelson, their long time colleague with whom they have a relationship. 

We might think it was time for him to go, and it probably was. But, there's getting fired, which happens all the time, and then there's...whatever just happened here in Dallas.

I speak from no inside knowledge on this, obvs, but just based on my own life experience I can't imagine Nelson (or Carlisle, for that matter) have too many nice things to say about the front office approach in Dallas right about now, whereas in a more traditional firing I'm sure most professionals are reluctantly complimentary of certain areas of the franchise on the way out the door pretty often. Idk, but I just have a sinking suspicion this was a scorched earth breakup. 

Won't matter to a cheap, up and comer, just looking for an opportunity. If Stein's correct, that's what Cuban wants, anyway. 

And speaking of cheap, don't completely dismiss the notion that a desire to keep front office payroll manageable might be part of this thinking. We'll see - maybe they'll add three new positions instead of just paying one high profile guy the whole bag. But it could be that Cuban literally doesn't want to pony up for a guy like Ujiri.
Like Reply
Everything I keep seeing about this whole debacle is that Mark Cuban has, is, and always will be the GM of the Mavs. He's making it real hard to be a Mavs fan. If it wasn't for Luka he would have already run me off after all of this mess.

I see a future where Finley is the Yes Man I mean GM and Mosley is the coach. Yuck.

I got into the Mavs because I lived in Dallas when the Mavs drafted Dirk. That got me interested and I became a fan. I was a Celtics fan long before that. Well, I was a Larry Legend fan. And my dad knew the Chief's dad since we lived in Shreveport. Not sure I'll make it with the Mavs much longer if Cuban doesn't hire basketball people and let them do their job. Sorry. It's just not fun to watch a guy with too much money and a big mouth do stupid things.

This is exactly the kind of stuff that led to the Cleveland/LeBron disaster.
Like Reply
Disappointing.  Masai was always a pipe dream.    Finley and Mosely may be fine, but they just screams "Cuban is comfortable".   That GM or VP role is a role for a killer.   It is really tough for someone with not a lot of experience to hit the ground running.    Finley, by all accounts, is a very impressive guy.  But so was John Paxson.  

Sometimes the best hires are the ones who are the least well known.  So you have to remember that.  But this team needs a new direction.   I will hold off on my final opinion until they hire someone, but it is disappointing the direction they seem to be taking.  

One more thing, if Finley is elevated and Cuban is not changing, I can't imagine they can attract a hot candidate to come in to be the third in line with decision making.
Like Reply