Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stein just killed all hopes of Ujiri
This feels like a downward spiral leading to Luka leaving. I could be wrong. I hope I am.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
(06-23-2021, 04:18 PM)MrGoat Wrote: A former Dirk teammate, maybe Cuban is listening to Dirk's input. Good for Finley. Jason Kidd as head coach incoming...

Actually that might not be the worst thing, he might manage to use his backstabbing skills to get Voulgaris to fall out of favor with Cubes. And if he's picked up anything from Frank Vogel on the defensive end that would be a plus too

The biggest benefit would be Kidd´s connection with current players, even if it´s probably a little more dated toward the previous Olympic generation.

Btw I´m entertaining trading for Kevin Love, after he made it to the Olympic team. I don´t know WTF he did to get that invitation. He must have the most amazing contacts throughout the NBA, Team USA coaches, staff and players, or is he still the best token White American?
Like Reply
(06-23-2021, 04:25 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: The biggest benefit would be Kidd´s connection with current players, even if it´s probably a little more dated toward the previous Olympic generation.
I suspect Kidd is a non-starter, what with the Mavericks' recent sexual harassment issues and Cuban's blossoming political ambitions.
Like Reply
(06-23-2021, 03:21 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Lucky you. LOL. Feel like we should make a list of all the things Cuban has done in the last decade. Let me try the comprehensive list. Big Grin

- Dismantled the whole championship team for capspace to try and sign Dwight Howard and Deron Williams, who both proved to be completely washed-up.

- Traded an unprotected 1st round pick for an know drug addict in Lamar Odom.

- Traded a 1st round pick for Rudy Fernandez, who didn´t want to play in the NBA anymore and went home to Spain immediately.

- Traded Jae Crowder (because he rightfully wanted minutes on the Mavs) + Brandan Wright + 1st round pick + 2nd round pick for Rajon Rondo (who Carlisle did not want and subsequently dismantled and embarrassed publically) + Dwight Powell

---> Later prematurely extend Powell´s contract to save face. It jokingly became known as the Powell trade.

- Traded down five spots to save 300k in salary capspace for Dwight Howard´s free agency chase. Dwight Howard didn´t want to come here and the 300k wouldn´t have been enough without trading Marion anyway. We ended up with Shane Larkin instead of Giannis, Schroeder or Olynyk.

-Traded Justin Anderson and two converted second round picks for Nerleans Noel. Carlisle immediately benched the new acquisition in favour of I believe 35 year old Sleepy Sammy Dalembert. After a failed 70M contract extension (Noel declined), Carlisle told Noel via an live interview on media day that he would not be the starting center on opening day. Can´t remember which veteran was starting instead, but Carlisle continued to embarrass Noel until his eventual departure and rise to starting center on the 2nd best regular season defense in 2021.

- Drafted 27 year old war veteran Bernard Sarge James with the 33rd pick, because it was a nice publicity stunt. The next two picks were Draymond Green and Khris Middleton.

-Drafted a player from Qatar in the 2nd round pick, because that player would have no ambition to play in the NBA and therefore not bother Cuban/Carlisle.

- Drafted Satnam Singh from India, because he was filming a documentary about his journey from the Slums to semi-professional basketball in Asia. Most likely the worst player ever drafted in NBA history.

- Offered DAJ a contract and guaranteed Wes Matthews (coming off a torn Achilles) a pay-raise, if DAJ didn´t agree to the contract.

---> DAJ agreed, then went back on his word. Cuban then decided to pay Matthews the additional money, although he was already overpaying and bidding against himself with the first offer.

--> Later signed DAJ on a one year deal anyway, because Cuban has no pride. Cuban celebrated a massive coup, cause it was announced pre official free agency. That was the year Cuban finally discovered the existence of pre free-agency tampering.

---> The same summer Cuban could have signed Nurkic, Randle and Brook Lopez for the same money that washed-up DAJ cost alone.

- Signed known party animal Chandler Parsons and celebrated the signing in a night club. Parsons´ body was on the verge of a full Porzingis breakdown at that point already.

- Decided that a winning culture was more important than a top pick, so in the Tatum/Fox/Ball/Isaac/Markkanen draft year, the Mavs went from last place in January!!!! all the way up to the 8th draft pick and DSJ.

- Still on the winning culture the Mavs fell to #5 in the draft order the following year, so instead of simply picking Luka outright, they had to send a future 1st round pick to Atlanta (#9 pick next year)

And that´s just everything I can remember. There is probably a lot more shit.

https://giphy.com/gifs/abcnetwork-sesame...gdS8pRQSLM
Like Reply
(06-23-2021, 04:28 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://giphy.com/gifs/abcnetwork-sesame...gdS8pRQSLM

If we would now compare this to a team with at least decent asset management, everybody could realise: a fresh start could really improve our chances.
Like Reply
(06-23-2021, 04:27 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Cuban's blossoming political ambitions.

I remember Cuban hired a political company to gauge whether he had a shot in 2020 and he barely got above a 20% of a projected vote nationally.

This was against probably the 2 worst candidates in American history (not trying to get too political but I don't think its controversial to call Trump and senile Biden that). 

If he couldn't get more than 20% in THAT year then I think there will never be a real chance.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply