Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
Nico seems fine, tbh. There isn’t really any clear slam dunk answer at this position available, this recruiting-focused route seems just as good or better than anything else they could have done. Maybe we’ll finally get to see Finley and his genius idea of actually having a draft board get more action too. 

I expect Cuban to remain the true final-decision making GM, as he always has been.
Like Reply
Looks like Eric Pincus agrees with @"Arioch". I'm all for this, if true, and it would completely assuage all my worries. 

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/14...15810?s=20
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:20 AM)Mak Wrote: I expect Cuban to remain the true final-decision making GM, as he always has been.

Just need someone with that magical ability to plant ideas and have Cuban think they were his
Like Reply
Well if we do end up with Nico and Kidd im excited but also in wait and see mode

Good to get some fresh talent/minds in the organization

But there is a lot to do, priority no.1 is selling both of these guys to Luka so he signs his extension and then we work on flipping/upgrading the roster. Both of these guys seem well liked by NBA players so we'll see if it pays off

Still gonna hold out until its announced, but as i said before, if Luka is happy then im happy.

Outside of working on the roster, i really want to see who Kidd has as assistants. Stotts, Mosely top my list and wouldnt mind JJ Barea coming in either

But again, ill wait until the hires are done according to Woj/Shams
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:31 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Looks like Eric Pincus agrees with @"Arioch". I'm all for this, if true, and it would completely assuage all my worries. 

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/14...15810?s=20

Love the earlier suggestion of Battier.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:31 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Looks like Eric Pincus agrees with @Arioch. I'm all for this, if true, and it would completely assuage all my worries. 

Good find, thanks for catching this.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/David_Lord_2020/stat...1752078338
Like Reply
I read DLord's thread on this. Don't know why he's being such a jerk about the whole thing, short of a strong allegiance to Donnie or Carlisle.
Like Reply
I will reserve any judgement until the offseason is done. It is interesting that it looks like they picked a coach simultaneously. How much say did the new guy have with it? Any at all and they picked a guy who they thought won't mind their choosing of a coach?

Sure it is nice to have a guy who might be able to convince players to actually come to Dallas. But as we all know there aren't really any top stars available this summer and Mavs need way more then sign "DeRozan" into cap space. Are they able to create a sound and creative team building strategy of pieces that fit together?
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:41 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I read DLord's thread on this. Don't know why he's being such a jerk about the whole thing, short of a strong allegiance to Donnie or Carlisle.

I think rather than allegiance to anyone it's bitter resentment about Cuban.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:43 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think rather than allegiance to anyone it's bitter resentment about Cuban.

He's been a journalistic insider to the Mavs for years. Being upset about Cuban as if it's some kind of new news seems kinda dumb.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:41 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I read DLord's thread on this. Don't know why he's being such a jerk about the whole thing, short of a strong allegiance to Donnie or Carlisle.

I think a lot of fans have had a very strong loyalty to RC in particular while also seeing Cuban as enemy number one. Doesn't surprise me to see that from DLord.
Like Reply

Can't speak for the guy, but seems like his complaint is with Cuban. Maybe he doesn't see Nico as fixing the Cuban factor
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:45 AM)Kammrath Wrote: loyalty to RC

[Image: 200.gif]

(06-25-2021, 12:45 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Cuban

[Image: j4dg7IS.gif]
Like Reply
I do not think this shoe salesman is going to make Dallas a free agent destination. Firing Carlisle definitely helps with that, because nobody wants to play for him, but they burned quite a few bridges over the past several years. I think the word is out around the league. But again that might change with Carlisle gone. But let's be honest, everybody knows Cuban is the one running the entire show here, no matter who they hire.
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
The more I think about this, the more I am ok with it. 

I am not saying that because I think this is a great move. I am saying that because realistically what else can they do? No draft picks. Talent level needs a serious upgrade. Even if you get the best GM it will take 2-3 years to begin to clean up this mess. That would just be the start. Luka won’t wait for that. 

So instead Cuban is going back to his Sammy Superstar approach. Only this time he might have a coach and a GM who have some relationship with players around the league.

I still think it is a long shot but given where they are due to years of mismanagement, no matter how slim, this might be the best chance to get a star and thereby keep Luka happy too. If it fails he is gone. But he would most likely be gone with a slow methodical rebuild too.
Like Reply
Nike and the rest of Luka’s team have effectively put the Mavericks in a conservatorship to protect their investment in Luka as the game’s next big star, I’d bet as a condition for locking Luka up long term.  That’s a flex move and great news for the Mavs. It seems the powers that be have now deemed them as too important to fail.  Welcome to the big time. All Cuban has to do now is not screw this up.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 12:41 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Bump. Some thought that Carlisle would not necessarily be affected, at least not soon but was on probably on the clock. 
The clock was in fact almost immediate. 

In fact this was my 1st thought on subject when the news came out that Donnie was out.  

New day in Dallas basketball.  
Now who is next in?  Mavs assistant?  
What about this guy? 

[Image: 800px-Jason_Kidd_Nets_coach_cropped.jpg]

Bump. I think I may have been the 1st to pretty much call Carlisle and Kidd coming after Donnie! 

Just call me Mavs NostradamusBig Grin
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:33 AM)Jym Wrote: Just need someone with that magical ability to plant ideas and have Cuban think they were his

Absolutely, and this really isn't a unique thing to Cuban.   I love the idea that people think Steve Ballmer is just a happy go lucky owner who is just okay signing checks and going to games, especially after he's already chased out a Hall of Fame head coach in a short amount of time as an owner.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 08:35 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: This really isn't a unique thing to Cuban.   I love the idea that people think Steve Ballmer is just a happy go lucky owner who is just okay signing checks and going to games.   Especially after he's already run out an entire front office and a legendary coach in a short amount of time as an owner.

EXACTLY. I think too much has been made about Cuban's desire to give the final say. Do owner's in any field really not care what big decisions are being made? 

Cuban wanting the final say isn't the issue, it is assembling a group around him to help him make the final decisions that matters. 

I might be wrong, but I think the voices around Cuban now might be the healthiest they have been in a decade.
Like Reply