Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-25-2021, 09:46 PM)Hypermav Wrote: His big point is Cuban is still the "ultimate authority" after all these moves and moves to be made.  I think everyone understood that would be the case.

Right. OF COURSE Cuban is still in charge. He OWNS the team. 

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=13576783]
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 09:49 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Right. OF COURSE Cuban is still in charge. He OWNS the team. 

The problem is, does Finley have enough talent evaluation acumen for anything good to happen in the draft and non-big-fish FA and trades? That's still the big concern if they don't hire a high-powered consultant.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 09:42 PM)Moviemavguy Wrote: Even if Rick was "jealous" of his relationship with Luka, there is little reason why he wouldn't endorse him other than lack of skill. 

I doubt Rick doesn't endorse him.
He publicly did it before,  only time he didn't was when he already knew Kidd will be his heir, so he endorsed him (probably as good gesture for old friends)
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 09:36 PM)fifteenth Wrote: When I read Cato's framing of the same facts that we've known for a day or so I think, "maybe so, we'll see." But I don't get too discouraged. I've already had some similar thoughts and moved on a bit.
Agree, I didn't read his article as particularly encouraging or discouraging, more as a takeaway from the events of the last few days. 

Along with you, I had already had similar thoughts. For those who hoped that the shakeup heralded a new era of the Mavs being run in a professional manner with expertise given more deference, I think the opposite has been shouted from the rooftops. But that part is, at worst, just the same, and probably won't get any worse. 

That being said, I think it was probably time for a change, whether these guys prove to be the right names or not. Harrison does appear to add something that the Mavs seem to need, in terms of relationship-ing. I don't know if his ability to entice players to Nike to make them a lot of money will translate to convincing them to come to Dallas to play for the Mavs. But at least he might be able to get some more guys to take their meetings. New skills, new relationships, new blood -- and it sounds like the team is being pretty realistic about the areas where his experience is lacking.

I have been a little surprised by how much has come out from so many sources on how difficult Carlisle was to deal with. Sounds like it really might have gotten to the point that a change of scenery was best for both him and the team. I find the Kidd hire puzzling on a number of levels. It seems like Cuban is just trying to re-assemble a cast of characters who were around in his high point as an owner, and hoping that they can reprise that magic, ten years later and in roles where they don't have experience/a track record. Hope that works out for him.  

But anyway, I fear I may be drifting negative more than I intended. Although I am not under any impression that the organization is making some of the fundamental changes that some think important, they are making additions, as well as subtractions, and they still have Luka. So that much is cool.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 09:49 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Right. OF COURSE Cuban is still in charge. He OWNS the team. 

Yeah, I totally agree with both you and @"Hypermav" here, especially about THIS article. However, I do think there was a large portion of Mavs fans who didn't really get this about the team before the first one. Cuban might have always made the decisions, but he has never called himself the GM like Jerry Jones does (just for example). So, I think that first one was eye opening for some people. 

The question from here, now that we're all on the same page about this is, in your words: Will better (or at least different) people whispering into Cuban's ear result in superior management of the roster and overall team-building strategy? We have no choice but to hope for the best, and like I've said on numerous occasions, these moves were a little better than I expected. I think there's some reason for even the biggest Cuban detractors to be a little optimistic.
Like Reply
WRT Kidd, our biggest hope has got to be that he learned a lot as an assistant coach. Me, I'm in a hopeful mood - far more hopeful than two days ago - lately.
Like Reply

I think you probably know that the discussion isn't about Cuban having final say, like any owner has. The discussion is about whether or not Cuban limits the effectiveness of his basketball people by doing too much.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 09:57 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: they still have Luka. So that much is cool.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
So I think there's a reason that Mosely keeps getting passed over as a Head Coach. I'm not sure what it is. I don't think it's a race thing because you are seeing other black coaches get hired. 

But for the Mavs they wanted someone who can relate to players clearly. Kidd does that. I think they wanted someone with experience. 

But I think a big reason they wanted Kidd was to finish developing Luka and to see what he can do with KP. I think most likely KP is going to be back this year. The one clear thing that Kidd has shown he can do is coach on an individual level. 

I think Kidd as a HC has a lot more upside then Mosley too. He could wind up being a fantastic coach. He's had more time to season himself by being an assistant for a few years.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 10:05 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: So I think there's a reason that Mosely keeps getting passed over as a Head Coach. I'm not sure what it is.

Absolutely. It's intuitive dot connecting, but there simply HAS TO BE a reason he's THIS well liked and can't even get a second interview anywhere.

Honestly, I think I'd be pissed about Kidd (most reviews of him as a coach are not good) if I wasn't so relieved they DIDN'T hire Mosley.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 09:36 PM)fifteenth Wrote: But there is something that bugs and discourages me, and it's that interview transcript of Cuban that someone posted.

Any way you can direct me to the transcript you saw? Or at least point me in the direction, please. Thanks!
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 10:05 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: But I think a big reason they wanted Kidd was to finish developing Luka and to see what he can do with KP.

I suspect the main reason they wanted Kidd was because he is someone Cuban was familiar with from his glory days. I agree that they would want Kidd, or any coach they hired, to develop Luka and do something with KP, assuming he is back. 

I think Kidd could wind up being a fantastic coach.

There's always that chance!
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 09:57 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I find the Kidd hire puzzling on a number of levels. It seems like Cuban is just trying to re-assemble a cast of characters who were around in his high point as an owner, and hoping that they can reprise that magic, ten years later and in roles where they don't have experience/a track record.

I lean more towards the interpretation that Cuban is continuing his long-time efforts to build a player-friendly organization. 

He replaced a coach that rubbed lots of players the wrong way with one they love. He hired a new GM that players universally respect. He groomed a former player into a lead role in the front office, brought in another as a consultant, hired one as the head coach, is looking to add one or more to the coaching staff, has hired several to coach the G-league team, and regularly rotates them through the media team. And to the extent that he clearly favors former Mavs, I see that not so much as naive nostalgia but as a fulfillment of his long time MFFL promise to take care of his own. Whatever criticism one might have about the merit of specific guys at certain positions, that's unquestionably a strong team-centric culture that is obviously very deliberate. Mark is one of the most player-friendly owners in the league, and it's not just talk.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 10:15 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: Any way you can direct me to the transcript you saw? Or at least point me in the direction, please. Thanks!

I wish I could! I can't remember which thread it's in or how many pages back.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 10:22 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I wish I could! I can't remember which thread it's in or how many pages back.

Is this it?
https://twitter.com/diamond83/status/140...0425693188
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 10:21 PM)Tyler Wrote: I lean more towards the interpretation that Cuban is continuing his long-time efforts to build a player-friendly organization. 

He replaced a coach that rubbed lots of players the wrong way with one they love. He hired a new GM that players universally respect. He groomed a former player into a lead role in the front office, brought in another as a consultant, hired one as the head coach, is looking to add one or more to the coaching staff, has hired several to coach the G-league team, and regularly rotates them through the media team. And to the extent that he clearly favors former Mavs, I see that not so much as naive nostalgia but as a fulfillment of his long time MFFL promise to take care of his own. Whatever criticism one might have about the merit of specific guys at certain positions, that's unquestionably a strong team-centric culture that is clearly very deliberate. Mark is one of the most player-friendly owners in the league, and it's not just talk.

This take is very convincing and I’m willing to buy into this. If this is Cuban’s MO and we fail bc of it I could still be a fan.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 10:21 PM)Tyler Wrote: I lean more towards the interpretation that Cuban is continuing his long-time efforts to build a player-friendly organization. 

He replaced a coach that rubbed lots of players the wrong way with one they love. He hired a new GM that players universally respect. He groomed a former player into a lead role in the front office, brought in another as a consultant, hired one as the head coach, is looking to add one or more to the coaching staff, has hired several to coach the G-league team, and regularly rotates them through the media team. And to the extent that he clearly favors former Mavs, I see that not so much as naive nostalgia but as a fulfillment of his long time MFFL promise to take care of his own. Whatever criticism one might have about the merit of specific guys at certain positions, that's unquestionably a strong team-centric culture that is clearly very deliberate. Mark is one of the most player-friendly owners in the league, and it's not just talk.

Well, there's room for disagreement here, and I'm sure there were multiple motives. 

If Mark is clearly objectively one of the most player-friendly owners in the league, it is all the more strange that he has had such a hard time attracting guys here. Hopefully, some of the changes will improve that situation!
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 10:25 PM)Tyler Wrote: Is this it?

Yes!!! Thanks!!!
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 10:25 PM)Tyler Wrote: Is this it?

Thanks!!

Does seem reactionary like Fif was saying. We go around and round chasing our tail because we really don’t have an understanding or a plan. But I think that’s only half true. The Mavs do a lot of things right consistently.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 10:28 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: This take is very convincing and I’m willing to buy into this. If this is Cuban’s MO and we fail bc of it I could still be a fan.

Yeah, the thing is, the fact that a guy is popular with players or used to be with the team doesn't mean he's a well-qualified person to fill a particular management role. (Also doesn't mean he isn't, of course.)

If the idea is that fans should be okay with an MO of hiring former players and popular guys, rather than looking for persons with experience, expertise, and qualifications,  I get that point of view. I mean, what choice do they have, if they want to feel happy when they're thinking about their team?
Like Reply