Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-24-2021, 11:12 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/SamQuinnCBS/status/1...7274528770

Duh?!
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Serious question that I can't believe I'm asking: Is Dame Lillard a Nike guy?
Isn’t he Under Armor? Don’t actually remember.
Like Reply
https://abc7news.com/sports/damian-lilla...eal/27618/
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:25 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://abc7news.com/sports/damian-lilla...eal/27618/

Cool, I think that's what KP is (adidas). Maybe Harrison's first act will be sending KP to Portland to team up with him.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:20 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Duh?!

I think you have to give Cuban credit for keeping it simple in a sense and clearly identifying the "next step" which is a co-star for Luka. He then has seemingly done everything in his power to remove the obstacles to that and to get the right guys in place to help grease those skids. 

So.....

My next question is:

Who have Cuban and Nico already identified as "that guy" (co-star) which led them to bring in Kidd as the coach?
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:28 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Who have Cuban and Nico already identified as "that guy" (co-star) which led them to bring in Kidd as the coach?

Hope so. 

Finding that guy this summer, somehow, would buy this new era a tremendous amount of goodwill from fans very quickly.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:28 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Who have Cuban and Nico already identified as "that guy" (co-star) which led them to bring in Kidd as the coach?

Can I interest you in
 [Image: giphy.gif]

GIANNIS ANTENT...oh wait sorry wrong card.

I mean can I interest you in 

https://tenor.com/bk5YW.gif
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:28 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I think you have to give Cuban credit for keeping it simple in a sense and clearly identifying the "next step" which is a co-star for Luka. He then has seemingly done everything in his power to remove the obstacles to that and to get the right guys in place to help grease those skids. 

So.....

My next question is:

Who have Cuban and Nico already identified as "that guy" (co-star) which led them to bring in Kidd as the coach?
If Cuban has that guy in mind (or hopefully has already tampered with) and these move increase chances for said co-star, great.  

Sam Quinn, NBA reporter, makes a rather layperson obvious point in his tweet.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:14 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/WashedMavsBlog/statu...9970724865

The guy Steph was disappointed to see in the meeting is our big attraction now. Okay.
Like Reply
Not unhappy with the choice but I have some questions about the decision making process. What happened with sportsology and the GM search? They usually take more than one month. Cannot imagine that they have been involved in the Harrison talks. Just PR? Still involved in the actual GM search?
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:51 PM)Mak Wrote: The guy Steph was disappointed to see in the meeting is our big attraction now. Okay.

My dude, you missed "pessimism week," sorry. I wish we could accommodate you, but this train doesn't stop for anyone. We have now moved on to "Mavs will win the championship THIS YEAR" week. 

Keep up!
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: My dude, you missed "pessimism week," sorry. I wish we could accommodate you, but this train doesn't stop for anyone. We have now moved on to "Mavs will win the championship THIS YEAR" week. 

Keep up!

I hate the offseason cycle...
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:52 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not unhappy with the choice but I have some questions about the decision making process. What happened with sportsology and the GM search? They usually take more than one month. Cannot imagine that they have been involved in the Harrison talks. Just PR? Still involved in the actual GM search?

Well, @"Kammrath" thinks they've been at if for a while, and he might be correct. 

Even if he's not, I don't think it's implausible that all parties simply found what they were looking for quickly this time. I don't know that they'd necessarily hold off on pulling the trigger on a guy everyone thought was right for this simply because they wanted to bill more hours or something.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:52 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not unhappy with the choice but I have some questions about the decision making process. What happened with sportsology and the GM search? They usually take more than one month. Cannot imagine that they have been involved in the Harrison talks. Just PR? Still involved in the actual GM search?
My understanding is they basically have a rolodex of names already in place to match the wants of their clients. It may have been as simple as Cuban, Dirk and Finley all getting on a call with them and them suggesting their thought of the next big thing.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/WashedMavsBlog/statu...6317269001
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote: This guy seems accomplished enough that this might fit our original desire for someone who would have the stature to lead and not just follow Cuban. What do y'all think?

Yeah... In order to get to where he's at in the corporate world he's got to have a spin. I like Donnie a lot and I think he's a good GM when given the keys and control tbh (that has rarely happened). 
But Donnie was spineless and either let Cuban run all over him, backed down or couldn't convince him. I don't think that Nico is going to have those issues.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:01 AM)cjeter24 Wrote: But Donnie was spineless and either let Cuban run all over him, backed down or couldn't convince him.

I think this is astute. 

My gut tells me that any "fire" for the job Donnie once had has long since dissipated. I still think Cuban is chiefly to blame for most of the dumbass things this franchise has done over the years, but Donnie's job was to convince Cuban not to do those things, so it's 100% fair to assume that he must've been a little too comfortable with failure to stay here so long, even if he disagreed with every misstep along the way (which doesn't seem likely).

Donnie wasn't the first GM in pro sports history to have to deal with a difficult owner, that's for sure. That's just part of it.
Like Reply
I absolutely love this move. Someone posted a tweet a few pages back about how his skills will translate. They definitely should and they fill a massive gap that we have been missing here a long time.

I'm sure he knows basketball well but I'd like to get another guy in the FO to help out in that regard or hopefully Finley has a good basketball eye. Donnie was fantastic at recognizing guys who would fit in the system here. We will need someone to replace that skill.

As for plans, I don't think it's a plan powder approach. I think we are star hunting again but it's going to be a much more creative approach. We've seen other approaches work better than plan powder as far as securing cap space after getting a commit. 

I'm excited for the future. I think this guy is going to help land a star in some capacity either by a creative way to accumulate assets and make a trade happen in the future or by convincing someone to come in FA.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:51 PM)Mak Wrote: The guy Steph was disappointed to see in the meeting is our big attraction now. Okay.

It was reported as a Nike Exec...the name was never said...some just decided to blame him...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Welcome Nico!!! You know it's a slam dunk hire when so many NBA players and pundits alike are going out of their way to show their appreciation. Finally becoming a more attractive organization and dare I say destination? Cuban making Championship moves! Thank goodness we got rid of snoozefest Donnie. 

That being said, for me, what is going to make or break this hire is the draft. We need to not only tap into this avenue of talent more often but more effectively!! Luckily for Nico, the bar is set very low, limbo style. 

Thank you Cuban, and Dirk (again) for saving the franchise. MFFL's stand up.
Like Reply