Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-24-2021, 10:29 PM)Arioch Wrote: And I'll reiterate: you and I seem to agree that based on all the reporting we've seen so far, the only way a guy like Nico takes the Mavs' job is if he knows he's going to have real decision-making power--including, and possibly most importantly, decision-making power about the people reporting directly to him. Given that, making any predictions about whether or not he intends to hire a GM (or a person to fill the GM role regardless of the actual title) when we haven't heard anything actually from him, seems completely premature.

Thanks for the clarification. I 100% get your point now and think it is a legit option.
Like Reply
For the folks who mentioned "plan powder", I think the better way to look at it is that now we have an actual ability to execute "plan powder" that we didn't have before.  Where Donnie had the relationship with some agents, Harrison seems to have those AND with the players.

The part about several teams trying to get him to their franchise is interesting.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
An outsider with an alpha personality?
Yes please. Let's just hope Cuban actually cedes some power to it.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 10:32 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: For the folks who mentioned "plan powder", I think the better way to look at it is that now we have an actual ability to execute "plan powder" that we didn't have before.  Where Donnie had the relationship with some agents, Harrison seems to have those AND with the players.

The part about several teams trying to get him to their franchise is interesting.

He knows Lula is the present and future of the NBA...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 10:32 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: For the folks who mentioned "plan powder", I think the better way to look at it is that now we have an actual ability to execute "plan powder" that we didn't have before.  Where Donnie had the relationship with some agents, Harrison seems to have those AND with the players.

That's what I'm saying. Trade Maxi for a pick. Trade KP and that pick to Presti. $37 mil more to play with. Then go out this offseason and get everyone you want.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 10:33 PM)Jym Wrote: An outsider with an alpha personality?
Yes please. Let's just hope Cuban actually cedes some power to it.

We will know within 6 months if he quits or not...
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 10:34 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: That's what I'm saying. Trade Maxi for a pick. Trade KP and that pick to Presti. $37 mil more to play with. Then go out this offseason and get everyone you want.

We could get Robin and Bat Girl?...

Hell Yeah...
Like Reply
Maybe we'll add 2 execs

Maybe Shane Battier will become our GM
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 10:34 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: That's what I'm saying. Trade Maxi for a pick. Trade KP and that pick to Presti. $37 mil more to play with. Then go out this offseason and get everyone you want.

I'm in 
Especially if Powell is somehow on the way out too
Like Reply
All this excitement - but still no Woj bomb that the Nico hire is official. This is the Murphies, I mean the Mavs, we're talking about here.

https://media.giphy.com/media/p35XvxQf7kJk4/giphy.gif
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 10:43 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: All this excitement - but still no Woj bomb that the Nico hire is official. This is the Murphies, I mean the Mavs, we're talking about here.

https://media.giphy.com/media/p35XvxQf7kJk4/giphy.gif

What could possibly go wrong?

[Image: Blake.0.0.jpg]
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 10:38 PM)Jym Wrote: Especially if Powell is somehow on the way out too

Now I know why @"IamDougieFresh" doesn't post more. Too busy attending to other accounts!
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I see no evidence that Cuban has upgraded the basketball IQ of the decision team, but I do think they'll come across as infinitely more professional, which isn't anything to dismiss. So that's good.
That's really what I would like to see as well. Cuban surprised me today hiring a smart business man and salesman that will correctly get things done. But, I would love to see a top scout or some type of pure basketball mind come in to run that part of it. But, then again, this signals to me that Cuban's plan is to go out and get top FAs. That's why he brought in a big time closer.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:04 PM)audiosway Wrote: That's why he brought in a big time closer.

I think that's the best way to characterize it, AND the best way to form expectations. 

This does address one of the main concerns people have had here recently, I think. The jury is still out on whether it has addressed all of them, but I'm optimistic that it's a good start. I did not expect to be optimistic about it, either.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/davidaldridgedc/stat...5150968837
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think that's the best way to characterize it, AND the best way to form expectations. 

This does address one of the main concerns people have had here recently, I think. The jury is still out on whether it has addressed all of them, but I'm optimistic that it's a good start. I did not expect to be optimistic about it, either.

So this would means we are using all the money available to us this summer, right?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/jadande/status/1408239612024299520
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/SamQuinnCBS/status/1...7274528770
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/WashedMavsBlog/statu...9970724865
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:11 PM)chaparral Wrote: So this would means we are using all the money available to us this summer, right?

When it comes to strategy, I think your guess is as good as everyone else's, but mine is that the overall strategy will likely still be Cuban's, which is very much what we're used to. 

The biggest potential for change, in my opinion, is that whatever strategy they put into action might just have a significantly better chance of going according to plan. 

I think the combo of Cuban and Donnie, along with anyone else involved, complete with Cartoon pitches, has been the biggest problem with the Mavs' approach in free agency. I don't buy that people don't want to live in Dallas, personally. Is it LA or Miami? No, but it's FAR from being Indiana, Minnesota, Utah, etc. Dallas probably isn't a selling point, but I don't think it's remotely close to the deal-breaker it has been made out to be.

Serious question that I can't believe I'm asking: Is Dame Lillard a Nike guy?
Like Reply