Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-16-2021, 01:24 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Yeah...this is EXACTLY what we needed before Free Agency.  I guess, if our reputation as a dumpster fire in a management civil war, it's a good thing...if we weren't, then all that "stability" thing is gone.

Please, please, please...don't go for some weirdo 12 year old "out of the box" guy...get someone safe and solid.

Jerry West anyone?  Morey?  Urji?

Can't see Morey or Urji.   West is old now, but having him as a consultant would still carry a lot of weight.  Not sure what his contract is with the Clippers though.   10 years ago he would have been my #1 choice of all time.

Mark needs to set high standards.  The pitch is we have one of the best 22 year olds ever and have him for at least the next 5 years (may prove to be wrong, but lets assume) and anyone should want to build a team around him.   

It is an extremely important hire though.   Can't mess around or get cute.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 01:26 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: RC is officially on borrowed time now. If Donnie is gone, the precedence has been set. He can get the axe at any time now

Depends who the new guy will be and how much power he gets. Maybe Rick has threatened to leave over Donnie putting together all these shitty rosters and Voulgaris telling him what to do. We don´t know. Ainge could actually strengthen Rick´s position.

Though I agree this should make Rick a little more vulnerable, which can only be a good thing, when it comes to his treatment of players and rookies. You just don´t hissy-fit Play-off Rondo over a backcourt violation or embarrass Noel multiple times in public. I doubt most GMs would tolerate such behaviour.

All I know is that we need a guy that can turn this franchise upside down, and I think that means front office and scouting department first and foremost. We need a strategic approach change and that can only happen with a powerful player.

If Mark was smart, he´d just take a step back, focus on his eucalyptus crypto currency and hand Ujiri the keys. He will find a way to hog the limelight, when Ujiri rolls in the trophies. Maybe free-handed pissing with one trophy in each arm. Tongue

(06-16-2021, 01:33 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Can't see Morey or Urji.  

Mark needs to set high standards.  The pitch is we have one of the best 22 year olds ever and have him for at least the next 5 years (may prove to be wrong, but lets assume) and anyone should want to build a team around him.   
 That´s exactly why I can see Ujiri (if Mark is willing to step aside). Ujiri said it´s not about the money, he wants control and he wants an interesting project. Does it get more interesting than Luka?
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 01:23 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Ainge has ties with RC , so he is a candidate. 
But now it seems agents turning GM is new trend, so won't rule it out.
Duffy as GM? Shwarzenger or wharever his name was?

I would fully back Dan S as our new GM...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 01:31 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Is it normal for a NBA team to hire an outside firm to find the next GM?

Yes I have seen it "reported" before...
Like Reply
Most of these "search committee's" are PR that makes it look like there is some disciplined, open ended process rather than just hiring some people you already have in mind.   I would throw out there Eli Witus, currently the Assistant GM with the Rockets and a Morey disciple who probably wants to get away from that sinking ship.   Cuban and Vougaris will bring in their guy to run the franchise their way, and some big name isn't going to want to work in that environment (same reason Rosas left).
Like Reply
Sort of expected after the article and the right thing to do, imho. Also the right time, as the new guy will have some time to plan the moves, but they have to move quickly. Of course the key is the next step and I trully hope hiring that company is just throwing sand in the face (or whatever is the saying in English). Cuban has to bring in a big name and I trully hope he already has an agreement. This would show he is the man and Mavs are serious. Bring in a puppet, and we will be likely dissapointed come September. Very dissapointed.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/justesbaraheni/statu...07552?s=21

No clue how legit that dude is. KOC apparantly said Bob is out as well.
Like Reply
If Duffy becomes GM, can I pre-order my Lavine and Turner jerseys on NBA.com/Australia, where they sold Mavs Millsap jerseys.
Like Reply
Hell ya, see ya bob.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 01:45 PM)sefant Wrote: https://twitter.com/justesbaraheni/statu...07552?s=21

https://media.giphy.com/media/26n6R5HOYP.../giphy.gif
Like Reply
Makes sense. If the stuff about Luka and the players not liking Voulgaris is true then he was not coming back anyway
Like Reply
Since Cuban bought this franchise until now the Nelson’s have always been at the helm with him. The training wheels are off.

Thank you Donnie.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
Sounds like it will be a REAL RESET, not the half-assed Rosas/Voulgaris approach, which increases the chances it will be a real power player.
Like Reply
GM and Shadow/Math GM...gone
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 01:45 PM)sefant Wrote: https://twitter.com/justesbaraheni/statu...07552?s=21

That would make sense. IMO, it's an important step to hire the best GM candidates, as all the good ones will want to hire their own staff. And it's also the only way to completely cleanse the front office of the undesirable drama.
Like Reply
I really like Finley and I hope that he stays in the org in some capacity, but if he ends up the GM I’ll be so pissed. This is the chance to make a big time outside hire to bring new thinking. With Luka this should be one of the most attractive jobs in the league (if Cuban let’s the person do their job).
Like Reply
No matter how much I dislike some of his shenanigans, this is my counter in support of Cuban. 

Cuban is loyal to a fault. Maybe he tried the Bob thing because he saw the same flaws we all did but didn’t want to outright fire Donnie. But too many chefs in the kitchen was never going to work and led to this inevitable ending. 

We say Cuban involves too much. However every owner will be involved in the big money signings or things to keep a true franchise level player happy. Cuban is not an exception there. The smaller signings and draft movement..no one can con convince  me that Cuban was involved in that. Maybe he had an overall directive as far as a long term plan. However just taking the Giannis draft story. Maybe Cuban is upset that Donnie was not more forceful in convincing him to draft Giannis or even make some moves to free up a few dollars so that trading down was not needed. Every other GM seems capable of that. 

The real issue here is that Cuban was probably too loyal. Maybe this is the moment Cuban gets a GM who is not just a buddy and is someone who is held accountable.
Like Reply
With Luka being pretty much as elite at basketball as it gets....

Would you not just money whip Ujiri into the job?

Or is he some alpha that thinks that would be too easy of a job?  He would rather beat Luka than win with him?

Everyone mentions Ujiri.   Cuban is Billionaire.   Money whip Ujiri while you have Luka on the clock.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 01:53 PM)DrMav Wrote: I really like Finley and I hope that he stays in the org in some capacity, but if he ends up the GM I’ll be so pissed. This is the chance to make a big time outside hire to bring new thinking. With Luka this should be one of the most attractive jobs in the league (if Cuban let’s the person do their job).

I will just repeat - the only way to show you are serious is to bring a serious guy. Everyone else will be considered as a puppet.
Like Reply
https://media.giphy.com/media/TJyMrfrnSJ.../giphy.gif
Like Reply