Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
Bits from Kirk's latest pod --

Kirk was shocked at the latest story hinting that Rick was given an "ultimatum" as far as starting Boban in the playoffs, which ultimately led to Rick's conversations with Mark that resulted in Rick's resignation. 

Kirk talked to some people who know Bob to get their take. Which was that this situation was unlikely to have been an intentional power play from the outset. Was more a matter of bringing someone in outside the organization chart and giving him a bunch of undefined power. The chaotic results were likely the results of the power structure being muddy, which led to a lot of confusion about who had the authority to do what, the guy who had Mark's ear being perceived as probably the one, and Bob taking advantage of the situation. 

Predicts that it is unlikely that Bob will be fired. More likely that the team will quietly let his contract expire. Assuming they let him go at all. 

I think the takeaway from this, if it is true, is that getting rid of Bob doesn't solve anything, if this way of business continues. 

Mark has said after all this erupted that Rick was the final authority on lineups, and that only Donnie could initiate trades. Maybe in his mind that was clear. But Bob was out there talking to other teams, and telling them things that were not consistent with what they were hearing from Donnie. Mark said that was okay with him, because that was the best way to gather the most information. But the result was a perception around the league that the Mavs were running a zoo, other teams didn't know who to deal with or what to believe, and it may have hurt them in terms of ability to do deals. 

That's just one example of what can happen when you have no clear lines of authority, and people are out there encroaching on each other's territory, to the point of causing dissension and confusion internally and externally. As another example, Luka didn't know whether Rick or Bob was in charge. Other players evidently had the same perception. Sounds like Rick wasn't too sure, either. The whole thing can devolve into a circus, even if each individual perceives himself as having good intentions. 

I know this idea has been circulated, but it seems that the loose structure, undefined areas of authority, and propensity of Mark to bestow outside-the-chart authority to his buddy du jour, that has been the MO at the Mavs for a long time, has long passed its expiration date. I have seen no indication that Mark agrees with that proposition, but the coming weeks should provide us with more information on that subject.

https://dcs.megaphone.fm/VMP4525432603.m...cb7356788f
Like Reply
Sounds like basketball operations weren't run all that differently than the business side of the house.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 02:29 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Bits from Kirk's latest pod --

Kirk was shocked at the latest story hinting that Rick was given an "ultimatum" as far as starting Boban in the playoffs, which ultimately led to Rick's conversations with Mark that resulted in Rick's resignation. 

Kirk talked to some people who know Bob to get their take. Which was that this situation was unlikely to have been an intentional power play from the outset. Was more a matter of bringing someone in outside the organization chart and giving him a bunch of undefined power. The chaotic results were likely the results of the power structure being muddy, which led to a lot of confusion about who had the power over what, the guy who had Mark's ear being perceived as probably the one, and Bob taking advantage of the situation. 

Predicts that it is unlikely that Bob will be fired. More likely that the team will quietly let his contract expire. Assuming they let him go at all. 

I think the takeaway from this, if it is true, is that getting rid of Bob doesn't solve anything, if this way of business continues. 

Mark has said after all this erupted that Rick was the final authority on lineups, and that only Donnie could initiate trades. Maybe in his mind that was clear. But Bob was out there talking to other teams, and telling them things that were not consistent with what they were hearing from Donnie. Mark said that was okay with him, because that was the best way to gather the most information. But the result was a perception around the league that the Mavs were running a zoo, other teams didn't know who to deal with or what to believe, and it may have hurt them in terms of ability to do deals. 

That's just one example of what can happen when you have no clear lines of authority, and people are out there encroaching on each other's territory, to the point of causing dissension and confusion internally and externally. As another example, Luka didn't know whether Rick or Bob was in charge. Other players evidently had the same perception. Sounds like Rick wasn't too sure, either. The whole thing can devolve into a circus, even if each individual perceives himself as having good intentions. 

I know this idea has been circulated, but it seems that the loose structure, undefined areas of authority, and propensity of Mark to bestow outside-the-chart authority to his buddy du jour, that has been the MO at the Mavs for a long time, has long passed its expiration date. I have seen no indication that Mark agrees with that proposition, but the coming weeks should provide us with more information on that subject.

Thanks for sharing.   It seems like Mark and the Mavs organization take pride in some weird things.  They wear it as a badge of honor that Woj never breaks a story/draft pick/trade for them, but then it appears they are really sloppy in a lot of other areas.

There are a lot of stories now and when you lose they appear to pop up more.  I doubt all are true.  Some may have a portion of truth to them.  But regardless, even if some are true it really paints a picture of a disjointed and poor front office.   There are a lot of people to blame...some more than others.  But the biggest blame needs to be on Cuban.    If he doesn't change substantially and quickly, this probably isn't going to have a good ending.  If he does, this whole episode of the past two years looks just like part of the growth curve for this team.    No time to waste though.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 01:29 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Do we have a GM yet? Do we get to have any interviews any time soon? Is Cuban still making some TV show?

https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/140704...84140?s=20
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 02:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/140704...84140?s=20

Well I feel better now.  LOL>
Like Reply
That kind of situation is often regarded as a sharp negotiating practice. Much like when the car salesman shakes your hand on a deal and then it gets written up with a $500 charge for ADP. And you look at the fine print on the back side to discover ADP is defined as “additional dealer profit.”

I’m not defending the Mavs here. Or the head collector. I’m just saying other teams being confused might just as easily have been a negotiating ploy as a blunder.
Like Reply
Hopefully Crypto bankrupts Cuban and he is forced to sell the team. Angel

(06-21-2021, 02:40 PM)Jommybone Wrote: That kind of situation is often regarded as a sharp negotiating practice. Much like when the car salesman shakes your hand on a deal and then it gets written up with a $500 charge for ADP. And you look at the fine print on the back side to discover ADP is defined as “additional dealer profit.”

I’m not defending the Mavs here. Or the head collector. I’m just saying other teams being confused might just as easily have been a negotiating ploy as a blunder.

I guess I'd learn towards blunder after that debacle with the Heat trade last year.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 02:29 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I think the takeaway from this, if it is true, is that getting rid of Bob doesn't solve anything, if this way of business continues. 

Man, this just sucks. Flat out. There are looser forms of organizational structure, but I think that usually applies to project management, and for it to work there has to be a daily team meeting where everything is aired, everything is out in the open, and everyone knows what every else is doing. 

If Donnie came to Mark about how the structure wasn't working, and Mark dismissed the complaints, and then Rick came to Mark about organizational structure, and Mark dismissed the complaints, then I think we're probably doomed.

(06-21-2021, 02:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/140704...84140?s=20

He couldn't meet with the potential GM because he was tweeting about bitcoin

We be better get prepared

The Mavs don't matter. Cuban is stupid.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 02:52 PM)fifteenth Wrote: The Mavs don't matter. Cuban is stupid.

[Image: 200.gif]
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 02:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: [Image: 200.gif]

I don't even want to take over the world today, Brain
Like Reply

Is that in response to mavs fan ry another former poster?...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 02:52 PM)fifteenth Wrote: He couldn't meet with the potential GM because he was tweeting about bitcoin

Smile 

He said he was in Mavs meetings all morning and just took a twitter break... So the other way around as you understood it. All Mavs, a little tweeter
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 03:07 PM)omahen Wrote: He said he was in Mavs meetings all morning and just took a twitter break... So the other way around as you understood it. All Mavs, a little tweeter

He met with Dirk and talked about 2011. He met with Fin and complained about Nellie. Took a nap. Did a radio show while on the treadmill. Then tweeted about Bitcoin
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 03:15 PM)fifteenth Wrote: He met with Dirk and talked about 2011. He met with Fin and complained about Nellie. Took a nap. Did a radio show while on the treadmill. Then tweeted about Bitcoin

lol
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 02:52 PM)fifteenth Wrote: There are looser forms of organizational structure, but I think that usually applies to project management, and for it to work there has to be a daily team meeting where everything is aired, everything is out in the open, and everyone knows what every else is doing. 

Yes, both looser and tighter organizational structures can work. It seems like a looser structure may have worked for Mark in the past, and that he may be resistant to moving beyond it. 

As you point out, a looser structure requires a stronger communications system, and also someone at the top who can intelligently and effectively resolve conflicts. As organizations get bigger, and communication and people who know enough about what is going on gets more difficult/rare, organizations tend to have to move toward tighter structures, dependent on processes, procedures and delineated lines of authority, so that operations can move to some extent on auto-pilot. (That can also result in a certain amount of drag on decision-making, as the bureaucracy becomes more entrenched.)

Mark is at the top of the food chain, and it appears he isn't paying enough attention to really understand the dysfunction in his organization. Either that, or as he appears to claim, he is smarter than everyone else and has some secret analysis indicating that a disorganized, survival-of-the-fittest system is the best. 

If Donnie came to Mark about how the structure wasn't working, and Mark dismissed the complaints, and then Rick came to Mark about organizational structure, and Mark dismissed the complaints, then I think we're probably doomed.

It's not encouraging, but I don't know that it's doomsday yet. The recent departures of Nelson and Carlisle were clearly not planned. Neither was the flood of bad publicity. It is possible that this degree of implosion has gotten Cuban's attention, and will convince him that it's time to try something new, even if he publicly forever insists that everything he has done was Einstein-level. I mean, he did hire Cynt Marshall when that side of the business was in crisis. 
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 03:31 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I mean, he did hire Cynt Marshall when that side of the business was in crisis. 

I've thougth about that many times in recent days. And I've thought that Cynt needs to organize an intervention!

Cynt! If you happen to read our little fan forum...

Cynt

Help Us

You're our only hope!
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 03:31 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I mean, he did hire Cynt Marshall when that side of the business was in crisis. 

I just think there's a sizable difference between entrusting the part of the organization that isn't exciting (the business side - he has much more interesting businesses than the Mavs to satisfy that itch) to someone else and ceding power over the fun side, which is why anyone would buy a sports team in the first place. 

I'm not even hating him for being too involved on the basketball side, honestly. It's his money, and if we're honest with ourselves we'll all admit that we'd be the same, exact way about it. I just wish he was much better at this. That's all.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 03:31 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Either that, or as he appears to claim, he is smarter than everyone else and has some secret analysis indicating that a disorganized, survival-of-the-fittest system is the best. 
Anyone remember the SnL skit with Will Farrell, Nancy Caroll and David Alan Grier called "Wake up and Smile" where they're all morning news reporters and the teleprompter goes out? This line reminds me of that skit!

https://youtu.be/Nc0FeUMQIA4
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 03:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I just think there's a sizable difference between entrusting the part of the organization that isn't exciting (the business side - he has much more interesting businesses than the Mavs to satisfy that itch) to someone else and ceding power over the fun side, which is why anyone would buy a sports team in the first place. 

yeah, could be 

I'm not even hating him for being too involved on the basketball side, honestly. It's his money, and if we're honest with ourselves we'll all admit that we'd be the same, exact way about it. I just wish he was much better at this. That's all.

Oddly, looked at from another window, it's almost like he's too under-involved generally, outside of dropping in bombshells here and there on the basketball side and leaving them for people to deal with. 

The mistake he made with Bob may well not have been in hiring him -- a new perspective might have been for the best. Hiring him outside the organizational structure, so that no one understood what his role was, might not have been the greatest idea, but didn't have to be fatal. The failure to attend to, understand, acknowledge, and deal with the massive problems that ensued, and letting the situation get totally away from him, seems to be the consensus fatal error. Fiddling while Rome burns kind of stuff.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 03:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm not even hating him for being too involved on the basketball side, honestly. It's his money, and if we're honest with ourselves we'll all admit that we'd be the same, exact way about it. I just wish he was much better at this. That's all.
I myself would just want to be a fly on the wall with everything going on. Like a never ending "Draft Day" movie!
Like Reply