Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Site Requests / Issues
(10-23-2019, 05:21 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Wow thanks.  That must've taken a lot of restraint to not go with dumb.

Nothing to do with being dumb. The function is there but with low usability. It's not really popping into the eye nor does it look clickable.

Its definitely an aspect that can be enhanced in user experience.
Like Reply
(10-23-2019, 05:28 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Its definitely an aspect that can be enhanced in user experience.

I am TRYING to find the exact spot in the templates or theme pages, I have purged through the various css files, and I still haven't found it. I will eventually solve this though
Like Reply
In terms of site readability the two game changers for me were turning on Light Theme and disabling signatures. I know some people like sigs but it's easy to go overboard with pics, giant gifs and cute catch phrases. If it were me I would set the default to no signatures but allow people to enable them if they'd like.
Like Reply
(10-23-2019, 09:53 PM)Magickian Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 05:28 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Its definitely an aspect that can be enhanced in user experience.

I am TRYING to find the exact spot in the templates or theme pages, I have purged through the various css files, and I still haven't found it. I will eventually solve this though

We really appreciate all of your work on this site. I wish we still had ties to Fish, but that's his decision, not ours. You have given us the best functioning messageboard that Mavs fans have ever had. I know you will fix the few remaining "little" things when you get to them.
Like Reply
Dumb question, but what search term would you use to find this site if doing a google search? 

I have the link saved, but if on another machine how do i find it?
Like Reply
(10-24-2019, 12:54 PM)LifeAquatic Wrote: Dumb question, but what search term would you use to find this site if doing a google search? 

I type in dallasmavsbasketball.com and it takes me to this site...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(10-24-2019, 12:55 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(10-24-2019, 12:54 PM)LifeAquatic Wrote: Dumb question, but what search term would you use to find this site if doing a google search? 

I type in dallasmavsbasketball.com and it takes me to this site...

Thanks. I think I was leaving out an "s." 

I'm an idiot..
Like Reply
I type "q" and hit enter
Like Reply
As we (currently) are not connected to a major news outlet wouldn't make it some sense to have a sticky Dallas Mavs news aggregator thread?

So someone finds an article worth reading for a Mavs fan, can provide the link to it?
Like Reply
(10-25-2019, 06:49 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: As we (currently) are not connected to a major news outlet wouldn't make it some sense to have a sticky Dallas Mavs news aggregator thread?

So someone finds an article worth reading for a Mavs fan, can provide the link to it?

This is not a bad idea. We always keep the Rest of the NBA post active with various news... I know we have been posting Luka or Porz specific news in their threads... but maybe a general news for mavs thread isn't a bad idea, and I support it personally.
Like Reply
(10-25-2019, 07:03 PM)Magickian Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 06:49 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: As we (currently) are not connected to a major news outlet wouldn't make it some sense to have a sticky Dallas Mavs news aggregator thread?

This is not a bad idea. We always keep the Rest of the NBA post active with various news... I know we have been posting Luka or Porz specific news in their threads... but maybe a general news for mavs thread isn't a bad idea, and I support it personally.
I was also going to agree with this...in the past I usually hunted down a similar.thread to post non thread starter news...I think it didn't get the discussion or attention it could have in a Mavs news thread...and Luka KP stuff should go to their threads...
Like Reply
(10-25-2019, 07:07 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 07:03 PM)Magickian Wrote:

I was also going to agree with this...in the past I usually hunted down a similar.thread to post non thread starter news...I think it didn't get the discussion or attention it could have in a Mavs news thread...and Luka KP stuff should go to their threads...

So will you guys add one?
Like Reply
Why don't we pin the Check-in and Around The NBA threads then drop the Salary Chart and Maven BS threads? Don't really see any purpose with the latter options, salary chart thread is dead and Fish is dead to us. 

Around The NBA is always hot and having a check-in topic for new members to see right away would be more welcoming. But hey that's just little old me.
Like Reply
(10-27-2019, 10:23 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: salary chart thread is dead

That is there for reference and isn't supposed to be a very active thread. If it isn't pinned, it will disappear in the sea of threads. 

The Around the NBA thread is so active it doesn't need to be pinned, on the other hand.
Like Reply
Im sure this has been asked and answered but I am late to the party so please forgive me. Why is it that if I make a second post within a thread it ties to the first post, as if I quoted two posters and replied to them in one post, instead of logging as two, separate replies? Thx
Like Reply
Its a pretty cool site, with many of the good people from the previous forum. What could be improved if possible, is to remove all those "add-ons" to the posts. Such as signatures is one thing. Another thing is to remove all the quotes. For every messages one not only sees the previous quote but all others before that, which can be rather annoying and fill most of the page, one needs to go up and down and search a lot for the messages posted. Perhaps if it is by default hidden these quotes and one could have an extra option to click and open the quotes, so in this case they are not annoying, but are there and can be opened if one wants to see them? 

Likes for posts are not bad if possible to incorporate, one could then view the top liked comments for each thread for instance, something like that. 

The header for each post above it, also fills a lot of space. In general I think its best forum experience when the messages are in focus and fill most of the space. However still nice to see images and some info about the posters, but I think it can be cut down a lot on that as it is now. 

Finally, when searching the google for Mavs forum, Mavericks forum etc. etc. this site does not come up. In order to get more people in to join, this is maybe a good idea to fix.
Like Reply
(10-29-2019, 03:35 PM)burekemde Wrote: Its a pretty cool site, with many of the good people from the previous forum. What could be improved if possible, is to remove all those "add-ons" to the posts. Such as signatures is one thing. Another thing is to remove all the quotes. For every messages one not only sees the previous quote but all others before that, which can be rather annoying and fill most of the page, one needs to go up and down and search a lot for the messages posted. Perhaps if it is by default hidden these quotes and one could have an extra option to click and open the quotes, so in this case they are not annoying, but are there and can be opened if one wants to see them? 

Likes for posts are not bad if possible to incorporate, one could then view the top liked comments for each thread for instance, something like that. 

The header for each post above it, also fills a lot of space. In general I think its best forum experience when the messages are in focus and fill most of the space. However still nice to see images and some info about the posters, but I think it can be cut down a lot on that as it is now. 

Finally, when searching the google for Mavs forum, Mavericks forum etc. etc. this site does not come up. In order to get more people in to join, this is maybe a good idea to fix.
Click on User CP near top left...next click options middle left...
Like Reply
I would like to have insights in pageviews and unique users, if we could add a public counter that would be cool.

I don't know Magick if you want to monetize this site or add a PayPal/patreon account to support it?

For your media company do you plan on sports reporting as well?
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 06:03 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: I would like to have insights in pageviews and unique users, if we could add a public counter that would be cool.

I don't know Magick if you want to monetize this site or add a PayPal/patreon account to support it?

For your media company do you plan on sports reporting as well?

There is both a Patreon and a PayPal at the top of the page under the Donation link, and as a student doing all of this, any contributions would be greatly appreciated. We actually hit a bandwidth cap recently and I had to upgrade my hosting service to handle this traffic. This is all mostly a good thing of course, as it means we are growing and quick, but yes any contributions would help the cause. 

If you go to the home page of this forum (or click on the logo at the top) then there are a stats bar on the right of the page which does show some basic stats for now, but I will look into adding a more indepth counter and stats section for this forum. 

As for sports reporting? Yes! I am all for it, I would love to have people who would be interested in writing any articles or pieces if they would be... as of now this is just a startup and an out of the garage thing so I am not exactly in the position to people on to a payroll or anything... 

but if people are interested... QabickCents.com the mother company/site of this one, does have all sorts of topics in media, from entertainment like films, music, art, to discussions about philosophy/religion, or politics/ current affairs... and yes we also have a couple sports articles on the site from one guy but he has been going through some things recently and so his output has slowed down tremendously. He said he has some he is working on soon to be released. 

If anyone else would be interested in writing anything about the Mavs or NBA or any sports or anything you are a fan of... if you can write better than I am now grammar wise(haha), and try to be objective then I would love to publish your articles too.

This will all be a process as we grow. I am currently starring in a horror film we are shooting now, and I am shooting my first film I am directing, that I wrote, was the casting director for, and will be the editor, and I am producing the soundtrack etc.... so this is just an uber hectic time for is all while I am still a full time student, and the Operations Manager of a KMSA 91.3 FM here in Colorado and host my own weekly radio show on it too...

So I appreciate everyone's patience. Any contributions would be greatly helpful. Either for funds to just host this, and/or buying plugins or hiring someone to do specific tasks (like fix various coding issues, etc) 

Anything would help, and/or writing any articles would be welcomed too!
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 09:01 PM)Magickian Wrote: There is both a Patreon and a PayPal at the top of the page under the Donation link

As a heads up, I can only see the donation stuff while in light mode
Like Reply