Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 4 THE FINALS: BOSTON CELTICS (3-0) vs DALLAS MAVERICKS (0-3)
(06-15-2024, 07:33 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: If Kidd would have found this obvious rotation earlier in the series, we’d be 2-2 or 3-1. This finals will probably go down as a big missed opportunity, especially for Luka. But, now that the Mavs have finally figured out their best players, perhaps some history can be made.

They might still do us badly in game 5, but I think they definitely missed an opportunity to get this to 2-2, when Porzingis went down. I don´t think they are significantly better than us without him, if at all, but they are one win in four games better.
Like Reply
(06-14-2024, 11:24 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Would still give Gafford his cameo to start the game/2nd half. Draw up the same postups that lead to two quick fouls on Tatum.

That block of Tatum by Gaff was phenomenal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bubbler86's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
Timmy is the Mav's new Janitor....bring him in to mop up and this was his feel last night.

https://gifer.com/en/7iZa
Like Reply
I honestly believe that these Boston games are won or lost mostly at the center position, and secondly by the rotation players. Dallas will have to continue this trend to win another game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • Chicagojk
Like Reply
(06-14-2024, 09:41 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: THJ putting on a show in his final home game here!

Haha Hardaway Senior smiling because he knows it too

That is not true….yet!
Like Reply
(06-15-2024, 08:28 AM)Winter Wrote: I honestly believe that these Boston games are won or lost mostly at the center position, and secondly by the rotation players. Dallas will have to continue this trend to win another game.

The season was over when Boston made our centers - our third-greatest strength - unplayable. The season was all of a sudden not over anymore last night, when our centers turned back into who they were in the first three series by virtue of energy and Kidd finally making adjustments. 

If the next three games were in Dallas, I would bet my life savings on the Mavs winning the series, because that would happen, end of story. However, since two of the games are in Boston, whether the Mavs win or lose those games depend on one thing and one thing only - whether Kyrie can overcome his psychological issues (guilt?) with playing in Boston and dealing with the hellbent hatred of the Celtics fans. 

My head says that's a solid "no." But my Mavs-loving, believing heart believes there's a chance. If Kyrie can play at least average in game 5, and then again in game 7, I think the Mavs win the series. But we'll just have to see.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
I think I do trust Kyrie to overcome all that now that his team has figured out their finals mindset and figured out how to play defense against this team.
I’m worried that one or more Celtics will go off and be their hero.
Like Reply
(06-15-2024, 01:58 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: I think I do trust Kyrie to overcome all that now that his team has figured out their finals mindset and figured out how to play defense against this team.
I’m worried that one or more Celtics will go off and be their hero.

There is basically no question in my mind that Boston is about to put on an awesome display of basketball in game 5. It’s going to take the best effort this Mavs team has offered to date to get past this one. And yeah, I’d expect that includes something special from Kyrie.

But if they can win game 5…
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, AustinMav, Lukedoncic, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
This series has highlighted that we need to be able to play different ways against different teams to win it all. Sad that we just figured out who should play once it’s too late, but it should have been obvious after game 2

Luka
Kai
DJJ
PJ
Gafford

Then heavy Lively minutes instead of Gafford

Exum in for the non-Luka/Kyrie minutes

Green in for DJJ

Maxi in when PJ needs to rest or briefly at the 5

This is the way in game 5
[-] The following 2 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • ballsrchr, DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
Boston will make adjustments in game 5 obviously. it's good we have figured our the best way of winning and our best rotation, but next game will be a tough one even without kp because Boston will adjust their defensive plans according to our overwhelming advantages displayed last night. for example, they may probably double luka or Kyrie more frequently, or condense their paint to prevent us from attacking the rim as easily as we did last night (which would also help them in rebounds). nonetheless, it would give our role players more wide open shots which Boston would expect them to miss a lot since they are very inconsistent. that said, we shall continue our strategy that was so successful in game 4 and when Boston make adjustments mentioned above, our role players need to make those open shots. lively revealed his secret weapon last night with the corner 3, if he attempts and hits some 3s and jumpers on a regular basis it would significantly increase our odds of history making. our 5-out with lively at 5 would own theirs tbh.
Like Reply
(06-15-2024, 08:28 AM)Winter Wrote: I honestly believe that these Boston games are won or lost mostly at the center position, and secondly by the rotation players. Dallas will have to continue this trend to win another game.

I wouldnt disagree with that but let me just add it is whoever owns the paint.  Now Boston can still go nuclear with three and blow a game open more so than Dallas.

But Boston is almost impossible if they can drive into the lane and finish at a high percentage.  The first few games they were getting by us almost every time.  It just really destroys any defense.  There are no good options if they are successful at this.  We have seen when Dallas limits penetration what it can do to Boston.  Force their players to make tough cotested shots.  A lot of ball stoppage too.

On offense, without KP Dallas can really do harm in the paint with no shot blocker.  In tune, if Dallas can control the boards and also get some easy points when our bigs have smalls on them that is winning on the edges that will add up.
Like Reply
(06-15-2024, 02:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: There is basically no question in my mind that Boston is about to put on an awesome display of basketball in game 5. It’s going to take the best effort this Mavs team has offered to date to get past this one. And yeah, I’d expect that includes something special from Kyrie.

But if they can win game 5…

I agree. My thinking is that Boston is going to come out hitting them hard trying to wrap it up. But, if Dallas can hold it down and get a win it will become a serious mental issue for Boston. I seriously think that if Boston doesn't win game 5 they will lose in 7.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
Like Reply
(06-15-2024, 07:41 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I wouldnt disagree with that but let me just add it is whoever owns the paint.  Now Boston can still go nuclear with three and blow a game open more so than Dallas.

But Boston is almost impossible if they can drive into the lane and finish at a high percentage.  The first few games they were getting by us almost every time.  It just really destroys any defense.  There are no good options if they are successful at this.  We have seen when Dallas limits penetration what it can do to Boston.  Force their players to make tough cotested shots.  A lot of ball stoppage too.

On offense, without KP Dallas can really do harm in the paint with no shot blocker.  In tune, if Dallas can control the boards and also get some easy points when our bigs have smalls on them that is winning on the edges that will add up.

I sort of think KP might eventually get some minutes.

"Celtics coach Joe Mazzulla said before the game that Porzingis would "only be used in specific instances, if necessary" if he did play."

Game 4 got out of hand quickly, so maybe there just wasn't a time for KP. But I was just now thinking about KP if he plays in game 5. I think when he has the ball, I would have our defender just attach themselves to him and force him to dribble and push off. I wouldn't give him an inch of space. Contest every outside shot. I would hope he doesn't want to push off and drive toward the basket with that injury. I would make an effort to kill his perimeter game first.

I'm not sure he will play. It may depend on how badly Boston wants it on Monday. He would come off the bench for sure. But he presents a problem I would rather not be faced with.
Like Reply
I was missing the last couple of weeks here but I have watched every game with delight (of course not the Boston series but our incredible run in the playoffs) and I am extatic overall. We will be a great team next year, if we find some little improvements. Our core of Luka (getting better), Ky (don't think will decline starting next year because his game is not predicated on athleticism), Lively (who is SO great on defense already and has tons of areas to improve), PJ (who is athletic, great rebounder and defender and only improving his offensive role) is amazing! Find a solid spark off the bench and add another 1 or 2 big, quality defenders (like Caruso or KCP) and we will continue to be a threat for the championship for the next couple of years. Havinf DJJ and Exum on the cheap is nice as well, also Gafford as a backup Center is a luxury. We can trade the rest of the players IMHO, if it is a good trade. In essence: Everythings looking great in Dallas.

But of course, we would still try to mount that incredible comeback. I don't think it is likely and the season is a HUGE success, even if we lose the series in 5, which is the most likely scenario. BUT: The Celtics have to close us out in 5, otherwise, there is a a chance. If anyone could blow this lead, it is this Celtics, especially with KP out (hopefully). We avoided the sweep in amazing fashion but the Celtics will come out guns blazing in game 5 on their own court and with some adjustments. If we are somehow ready for it and steal it, all of the pressure is on them and I suddenly like our chances.

Celtics in 5: 60%
Celtics in 6: 5 %
Celtics in 7: 15%
Mavs in 7: 20% (if we reach game 7, this number skyrockets)

Most likely our season is over monday night... but if not... look out.
[-] The following 2 users Like meistermatze's post:
  • Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-15-2024, 03:34 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: This series has highlighted that we need to be able to play different ways against different teams to win it all. Sad that we just figured out who should play once it’s too late, but it should have been obvious after game 2

Luka
Kai
DJJ
PJ
Gafford

Then heavy Lively minutes instead of Gafford

Exum in for the non-Luka/Kyrie minutes

Green in for DJJ

Maxi in when PJ needs to rest or briefly at the 5

This is the way in game 5

This is a good lineup and rotation.  I would also emphasize that effort on defense needs to increase, while the Mavs need to play at a faster pace on offense.  Exum is well suited to a faster pace.  Only Luka can get away with walking the ball to the basket--but even he needs to play slightly faster against this Boston team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply