Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I know we're not winning the chip this year...
First, nice response!

(05-07-2021, 11:40 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I just don´t accept the idea that the Heat or Mavs develop players in a similar way, cause they clearly are not.

That's fine. I don't have a dog in that fight. I don't know enough.

(05-07-2021, 11:40 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Yes I´d generally be in favour of the approach "it´s your spot to lose"-concept rather than the "it´s your spot to earn"-concept for rookies, especially when considering the other options are guys like Iwundu.

Why should they be given that spot over Josh Green, who I just invested a 18th pick in and who I control for the next nine years!

I should back my own talent evaluation, asset management and have a huge interest in developing him first and foremost.  

I don't think "it's your spot to lose" vs "it's your spot to earn" even accurately characterizes the reality. It's more like "we're committed to helping you become the best player you can be, and the process is going to include game time and practice." The, rotation spots are fluid based on a combination of team and individual needs. Green MIGHT have been given even more development attention than Iwundu, but that's a total guess. It would have been great if Iwundu could have developed as well. 

(05-07-2021, 11:40 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Why not throw a rookie out there for ten (meaningless) games and let him actually FEEL real NBA games.

This was done with Green. He played a good bit at the beginning of the season. No one told me, so this is a guess too, but it appears that Green got minutes early in the season, the coaching staff decided he needed some further development via practice and watching from the bench, and he was taken out of the every day rotation. Fast forward, and he returns to the rotation looking comfortable and contributing to winning. You've used Green as an addition to your long time argument against the Mavs player development methods, when in fact, Green is evidence in the other direction.

(05-07-2021, 11:40 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: The Mavs approach is basically you practice, practice, practice. You only get minutes, when something extraordinary happens. You have no natural way to break into the rotation, when Carlisle is in WIN NOW mode. I don´t feel that "practice till you bleed"-approach to be very motivating, but maybe that´s just me and Allen Iverson. There are so many different personalities, too.   

I just don't think this is true. You're making a caricature of the Mavs methods in order to argue against them. 

(05-07-2021, 11:40 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Aren´t some people always excusing Porzingis for not trying on defense, because Luka is not getting him the ball. Well who is getting the rookies the ball? 

I dont' see people excuse KP. Mostly they either believe he can learn to fit better or want to trade him. And everyone wishes his defense was as good as it was last year. Regarding getting Green the ball, I see him receiving the ball from multiple folks and fitting really well into the offense at the moment. 

(05-07-2021, 11:40 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: People always mention DFS/Brunson as successful long-term projects, when their whole development was happening in tanking/rebuilding years and consisted exactly of the regular playing time/rotational minutes.

DFS played 20 MPG for 81 games in his rookie season.

It really doesn't make sense to you that there was more room for DFS to get minutes than for Green because we're actually trying to win now? And again, Green is bad for your argument. He's contributing to a playoff team. Brunson and Luka both got minutes on teams that were actually trying to win. So they don't support your argument at all. They're just examples of two rookies that were more ready for playing time.

(05-07-2021, 11:40 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Don´t give me the slow development stuff either. Josh Howard is the last rookie to sign an extension here and he probably has kids that are draft eligible.

I think this has way more to do with the Mavs failure in the draft. And I'm with you there. There are signs of improvment in that area with Luka, Brunson, and Green. It remains to be seen what Hinton, Bey and Terry will become. I'm not going to call them failures yet because it's too soon.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I know we're not winning the chip this year... - by fifteenth - 05-07-2021, 12:18 PM