Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I know we're not winning the chip this year...
(05-07-2021, 09:32 AM)fifteenth Wrote: He didn't say anything so conclusive as that. Who has argued that you should only bring the player along slowly or only play them a lot early? 

You say to throw them all into the fire. Some others argue for more nuanced approaches that have to do with evaluating where the player is at and what they neeed.

I think there are benefits to both ideas and concept. I just don´t accept the idea that the Heat or Mavs develop players in a similar way, cause they clearly are not.

Yes I´d generally be in favour of the approach "it´s your spot to lose"-concept rather than the "it´s your spot to earn"-concept for rookies, especially when considering the other options are guys like Iwundu.

Why should they be given that spot over Josh Green, who I just invested a 18th pick in and who I control for the next nine years!

I should back my own talent evaluation, asset management and have a huge interest in developing him first and foremost.  

The negative I always hear is: You will crush his confidence, because he´s clueless about what he is doing out there and the team will lose games.

The counter argument would be: How can you train for something, you don´t know. Why not throw a rookie out there for ten (meaningless) games and let him actually FEEL real NBA games. Let him get a feel for what it´s like to have Westbrook coming at you at 100mph and Irving doing five crossovers before pulling up in your face. He can´t learn that from practice. At least that way he goes into the gym with the knowledge how far he has to come. Maybe some rookies just are fast learners. He immediately catches on, while he´s still full of youthful self-confidence. Then you just stick with him for 10 rotational MPG. He´s motivated. He´s engaged. He works harder in practice.

The Mavs approach is basically you practice, practice, practice. You only get minutes, when something extraordinary happens. You have no natural way to break into the rotation, when Carlisle is in WIN NOW mode. I don´t feel that "practice till you bleed"-approach to be very motivating, but maybe that´s just me and Allen Iverson. There are so many different personalities, too.   

Aren´t some people always excusing Porzingis for not trying on defense, because Luka is not getting him the ball. Well who is getting the rookies the ball? 

People always mention DFS/Brunson as successful long-term projects, when their whole development was happening in tanking/rebuilding years and consisted exactly of the regular playing time/rotational minutes.

DFS played 20 MPG for 81 games in his rookie season.
Brunson played 22 MPG for 73 games in his rookie season.

Don´t give me the slow development stuff either. Josh Howard is the last rookie to sign an extension here and he probably has kids that are draft eligible.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I know we're not winning the chip this year... - by Mavs2021 - 05-07-2021, 11:40 AM