Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-24-2021, 09:20 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Why does Cato say that hiring Nico means that Plan Powder continues?

I think he's trying to conjure a narrative that because Nico is a Nike VP that has player relations AND the reported unwillingness by Cuban to cede control to someone like Ujri, that the Mavs are going to employ a familiar plan powder approach. 

Just speculation. I do think that plan powder isn't going to continue just because cap space can always be made.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:20 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Why does Cato say that hiring Nico means that Plan Powder continues?

Same reason I said it an hour before that. 

He's everyone's Nike guy. If you want a Nike endorsement deal, your path crosses his, eventually. 100% relationships, and with the BEST players in the sport, as Nike is always on top with that stuff. 

It's like hiring a super agent like Pelinka or Rose. Same logic. The idea is that he can get these dudes excited about coming here based on previous, long-standing relationships. It's not crazy. Pretty outside of the box, but sill on track with what has been helping some other teams recently. 

That's the reason you make this hire, I think, though I'm sure Harrison has many other fine qualifications.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: No, I'm saying I wish an ADDITIONAL outside hire, one who's 100% basketball personnel oriented (both in past experience and future Mavs job description) was forthcoming. 

I like the idea of this dude being the professional face of the team, but not the idea of him deciding whether or not the Mavs need one more wing or to go a completely new direction with the front court. And, I don't want Finley or Voulgaris deciding that, either. 

But, at the end of the day, this might have been as drastic of a change as we could've hoped for. 

I think that by the end of the summer, people like you who have traditionally been the most dissatisfied with Mavs personnel decisions might hate this front office, too. I see no evidence that Cuban has upgraded the basketball IQ of the decision team, but I do think they'll come across as infinitely more professional, which isn't anything to dismiss. So that's good.

You don´t get to the position he is in without great knowledge of basketball and the NBA. He played college basketball for four years and for the last 20-25 years he has done nothing else, but to evaluate basketball talent and keep relationships with high end players. He basically unifies the best of both worlds. Why should he not be fit to make strategic basketball or roster decisions?  I don´t see any difference between him and an agent turned GM.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:24 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: You don´t get to the position he is in without great knowledge of basketball and the NBA. He played college basketball for four years and for the last 20-25 years he has done nothing else, but to evaluate basketball talent and keep relationships with high end players. He basically unifies the best of both worlds. Why should he not be fit to make strategic basketball or roster decisions?  I don´t see any difference between him and an agent turned GM.

Agreed. I think this tweet summarizes that well

https://twitter.com/JonesOnTheNBA/status...3429171201
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I do think that plan powder isn't going to continue just because cap space can always be made.

Well, this is a valid point. They might elect to do a version of the plan that people think is smarter. But I think it's pretty obvious this guy brings relationships with players around the league to the table, and that this was one of the main reasons he was attractive.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:24 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: You don´t get to the position he is in without great knowledge of basketball and the NBA. He played college basketball for four years and for the last 20-25 years he has done nothing else, but to evaluate basketball talent and keep relationships with high end players. He basically unifies the best of both worlds. Why should he not be fit to make strategic basketball or roster decisions?  I don´t see any difference between him and an agent turned GM.

Ok, so you have instant faith in his understanding of all the moving roster parts needed to win, and how each piece that gets put into place alters the requirements for the others needed? Gotcha. 

You might be right, and if so, that would be amazing. 

I'm just saying that with THAT, specific part of the job, I think there's a chance he's not that much more prepared than any peripheral basketball lifer. His career is in a cottage industry built around the NBA, not IN the NBA. Doesn't mean he won't be good at that part, I just don't KNOW yet. 

But if you do, then I'm even happier!
Like Reply
I am fully on board Team Nico. This is Nico and Luka’s franchise now. Excited for the future of the Dallas Basketball Mavericks of Dallas. Merry MFFL Christmas to all!
Like Reply
This guy seems accomplished enough that this might fit our original desire for someone who would have the stature to lead and not just follow Cuban. What do y'all think?
Like Reply
I'm not singing this guys praises until he actually does something worth praising.  This is his first time being responsible for running a NBA team. This ain't Nike. Let everyone get in their proper places, and let's see what moves they make. No horn tooting here just yet.
Like Reply
If this ends up being true, I would assume Cuban had to cede some authority to Nico which would be great news. Actual new blood in here!
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: No, I'm saying I wish an ADDITIONAL outside hire, one who's 100% basketball personnel oriented (both in past experience and future Mavs job description) was forthcoming. 

Why assume there is not?

Hiring Harrison as President has *just* come out--and only 'reportedly' not an actual official announcement yet. Until he actually holds a press conference or makes some hires of his own, we have no idea what Nico thinks a high-functioning, successful basketball operations team looks like.

(And I absolutely agree with the takes that, given his existing position and the fact he's turned down other teams before, if Nico is taking the job here, he's had assurances that he's going to get to make decisions like whether or not he wants a GM and who that person will be).
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:33 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: I am fully on board Team Nico. This is Nico and Luka’s franchise now. Excited for the future of the Dallas Basketball Mavericks of Dallas. Merry MFFL Christmas to all!

Shades of Jason Garrett.  I need a shower.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote: This guy seems accomplished enough that this might fit out original desire for someone who would have the stature to lead and not just follow Cuban. What do y'all think?

Yes, I am going there as well because of how many NBA guys keep saying that MANY teams have tried to hire him and failed. I think there is no way Cuban brought him here to be powerless. He is probably going to be THE guy with Cuban's ear moving forward.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:38 PM)LifeAquatic Wrote: If this ends up being true, I would assume Cuban had to cede some authority to Nico which would be great news. Actual new blood in here!

Don't get me wrong - I agree with the new blood point, and this is already better than I expected. 

As @"Kammrath" speculated, the most logical conclusion to reach here is that Harrison was offered more official power as GM than other teams have offered him in the past (or who knows, maybe he just liked Dallas and Luka better than those other teams). 

Just gonna add a little tepid water by suggesting that Cuban telling him he'll have the main voice and Cuban actually allowing him to have (and keep) the strongest voice are two very different things. They have gone out of their way to avoid addressing the Voulgaris thing, I guess because his contract had expired. Will they hire him back? If so, will they tell us, or hope nobody asks? Was HE signed off on by Harrison (I'd assume so, if they hire him back). If so, does Harrison really know what he's agreeing to, or is it possible that their relationship blow up by the time the draft is over? If so, which will Cuban side with? 

I like what I'm reading today, but I'm keeping my eyes open.
Like Reply
That sounds right to me, and I wouldn't underestimate the power of having a young Luka to build around as far as getting someone who other teams have been  unable to snag so far.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Just gonna add a little tepid water by suggesting that Cuban telling him he'll have the main voice and Cuban actually allowing him to have (and keep) the strongest voice are two very different things. They have gone out of their way to avoid addressing the Voulgaris thing, I guess because his contract had expired. Will they hire him back? If so, will they tell us, or hope nobody asks? Was HE signed off on by Harrison (I'd assume so, if they hire him back). If so, does Harrison really know what he's agreeing to, or is it possible that their relationship blow up by the time the draft is over? If so, which will Cuban side with? 

These are great questions. 

I am going to assume something else based on what I am seeing about Nico: 

He is probably an ALPHA and I think THAT is what is needed most in DAL right now. I get the impression that Cuban likes to follow alpha personalities. I am guessing that Nico will have a presence about him that will keep guys like Voulgaris in line. He might even keep Cuban's "demons" in check as well.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:39 PM)Arioch Wrote: Why assume there is not?

You're absolutely right. 

I am assuming (or rather accepting what seems to me to be logical speculation that is shared by others). Another announcement might be forthcoming. 

This guy being who he is, and the way the announcements of him, Kidd and Finley staying all hit at once today lead me to believe this is the end of the big news hiring process, but I don't know.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This guy being who he is, and the way the announcements of him, Kidd and Finley staying all hit at once today lead me to believe this is the end of the big news hiring process, but I don't know.

Yeah, the way Marc Stein worded this tweet, pretty sure this IS the new "MBT" with no other hires to come:

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...3895485441
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Don't get me wrong - I agree with the new blood point, and this is already better than I expected. 

As @"Kammrath" speculated, the most logical conclusion to reach here is that Harrison was offered more official power as GM than other teams have offered him in the past (or who knows, maybe he just liked Dallas and Luka better than those other teams). 

Just gonna add a little tepid water by suggesting that Cuban telling him he'll have the main voice and Cuban actually allowing him to have (and keep) the strongest voice are two very different things. They have gone out of their way to avoid addressing the Voulgaris thing, I guess because his contract had expired. Will they hire him back? If so, will they tell us, or hope nobody asks? Was HE signed off on by Harrison (I'd assume so, if they hire him back). If so, does Harrison really know what he's agreeing to, or is it possible that their relationship blow up by the time the draft is over? If so, which will Cuban side with? 

I like what I'm reading today, but I'm keeping my eyes open.

Wait-and-see is the smart approach.

Teams might have been chasing Nico for a while but maybe the timing was never right until now.  Not to get to armchair psychologist but it sounds like Nico was close with Kobe.  I'm sure his passing put things into perspective and Nico obviously has bigger aspirations, so why not now and with Luka even if Cuban's structure isn't ideal.  He probably doesn't have the clout to demand sweeping changes like Ujiri and we have no idea what the contract details are but Cuban could have money whipped him.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: He is probably an ALPHA and I think THAT is what is needed most in DAL right now. I get the impression that Cuban likes to follow alpha personalities. I am guessing that Nico will have a presence about him that will keep guys like Voulgaris in line. He might even keep Cuban's "demons" in check as well.

Hey, I'm here for it. 

I feely admit to some optimism about this. He's an impressive fellow, based on what we know so far, and this is significantly more drastic of a change than I expected. And, because of that, I'm now retroactively viewing several things more favorably, such as the professional and transparent manner in which Cuban hired and brought in help to conduct this search/hire business. I assumed that was all for PR and was a joke, but they seem to have actually pulled a name out of thin air that has the basketball community paying attention.
Like Reply