Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-24-2021, 08:42 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/JaredDudley619/statu...3398863877

Interesting that so many teams have tried to get this dude but for whatever reason he chooses Dallas.

If Fin remains as VP and Nico as PBO, then who's the GM? Or does it remain empty now with Cuban occupying the role in spirit?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 08:43 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: If Fin remains as VP and Nico as PBO, then who's the GM? Or does it remain empty now with Cuban occupying the role in spirit?

I think functionally Nico will be GM, like Donnie used to be.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 08:43 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Interesting that so many teams have tried to get this dude but for whatever reason he chooses Dallas.

If Fin remains as VP and Nico as PBO, then who's the GM? Or does it remain empty now with Cuban occupying the role in spirit?

He who must not be named is shadow GM
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CJMcCollum/status/14...0078897155
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 08:43 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: ...then who's the GM?

[Image: LzTA.gif]
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 08:38 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Look, I wanted new voices into the team.   Nico and Kidd are new.   Time will tell, but I can't complain as my big thing was not staying status quo.

I think I agree. 

I think some of the things that drive people crazy, like plan powder are staying in place. But I don't have a problem with any of the plans they've had, only their inability to execute them.
Like Reply
Mark is a genius, playing 3D chess like Sheldon Cooper.

He made the Mavs franchise look so stupid and incompetent over the last decade, peaking last weekend, that Nike saw no other choice than personally sending the head of their whole NBA basketball operations to Dallas to fix this mess and protect their huge investment in Luka Air Doncic.
[Image: IrALlKu.gif]
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 08:44 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I think functionally Nico will be GM, like Donnie used to be.

Yeah, that makes sense. 

Not sure I love that part of it, but this is still way more change than I expected, which is a pleasant surprise.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 08:53 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Mark is a genius, playing 3D chess like Sheldon Cooper.

He made the Mavs franchise look so stupid and incompetent over the last decade, peaking last weekend, that Nike saw no other choice than personally sending the head of their whole NBA basketball operations to Dallas to fix this mess and protect their huge investment in Luka Air Doncic.
[Image: IrALlKu.gif]

Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 08:54 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, that makes sense. 

Not sure I love that part of it, but this is still way more change than I expected, which is a pleasant surprise.

Huh?

You want Finley in charge?

We wanted somebody from the outside with the authority and power to challenge Cuban and make his own decisions. Harrison is such a person. You do not leave such a powerful position at Nike to be Cuban´s puppet. If Harrison made this decision voluntarily (not like the last NIKE hire from Cuban), then he will not accept anything, but full control of the basketball operations side. He´ll obviously report to Cuban, but no way will novices like Finley or Bob have any decision-making power over him.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 08:54 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, that makes sense. 

Yeah, time will tell.  Knowing you want to invest in Zion at Nike is not the same as which one of 50 backup wings will be the best investment to sign in free agency. 

I am just happy we didn't just keep things how they were.   Maybe this blows up...maybe it is great.   But this whole franchise seemed stale outside of a few of our players.
Like Reply
I think ONE thing is fairly certain:

The Mavs became a MUCH more appealing destination for free agents basically overnight. 
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1408221827940466690

I think this is another indication that Nico has been given some significant power.
Like Reply
The Nico negotiations were leaked before it has become a done deal.

There's still time for Mark and the Mavs to VAJ or Miami this.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:05 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: You want Finley in charge?

We wanted somebody from the outside with the authority and power to challenge Cuban and make his own decisions. Harrison is such a person. You do not leave such a powerful position at Nike to be Cuban´s puppet. If Harrison made this decision voluntarily (not like the last NIKE hire from Cuban), then he will not accept anything, but full control of the basketball operations side. He´ll obviously report to Cuban, but no way will novices like Finley or Bob have any decision-making power over him.

No, I'm saying I wish an ADDITIONAL outside hire, one who's 100% basketball personnel oriented (both in past experience and future Mavs job description) was forthcoming. 

I like the idea of this dude being the professional face of the team, but not the idea of him deciding whether or not the Mavs need one more wing or to go a completely new direction with the front court. And, I don't want Finley or Voulgaris deciding that, either. 

But, at the end of the day, this might have been as drastic of a change as we could've hoped for. 

I think that by the end of the summer, people like you who have traditionally been the most dissatisfied with Mavs personnel decisions might hate this front office, too. I see no evidence that Cuban has upgraded the basketball IQ of the decision team, but I do think they'll come across as infinitely more professional, which isn't anything to dismiss. So that's good.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:14 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: The Nico negotiations were leaked before it has become a done deal.

There's still time for Mark and the Mavs to VAJ or Miami this.

Yeah that is my biggest worry.

Nico: So Mark this is my plan to turn the franchise around.
Mark: Your plan? Let me run that by the people in charge! Mike! Bob! Come here. Nico has plans.
Nico: Yeah I think we are done here.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:09 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The Mavs became a MUCH more appealing destination for free agents basically overnight. 

Agreed 100% on this. 

Those hoping free agent swings were in the past aren't going to like what happens next, but then again, the chances of them being successful swings just increased, imo.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:09 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I think ONE thing is fairly certain:

The Mavs became a MUCH more appealing destination for free agents basically overnight. 

I'm looking forward to figuring out who the Mavs want based on former Nike connections. Dan was always on top of it with Donnie and his agent relations.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Why does Cato say that hiring Nico means that Plan Powder continues?
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:20 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Why does Cato say that hiring Nico means that Plan Powder continues?

HC and Nico are relationship guys.  I guess the assumption is that they'll be recruiting talent.
Like Reply