Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-19-2021, 12:38 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Geez pal, I sure hope we're wrong. I want nothing more than for the Mavs to win like 5 championships with Luka so that I can hold my head high around my Laker/Warrior/Celtic/Spurs fan friends.

First thing I thought and posted when the news broke about Cuban's budy playing usurper,  with Cuban's approval, was "oh no, Cuban is Jerry, time to spend my time and energy on other things." 

I'm still watching to see what happens, but I keep returning to that original thought.
Like Reply
I mean it's easy for me, if Cuban chases Luka out I'm following Luka. I have no reason to maintain loyalty to this franchise if that's what they become. I'll enjoy watching Luka win multiple titles regardless of team.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 12:49 AM)Branduil Wrote: I mean it's easy for me, if Cuban chases Luka out I'm following Luka. I have no reason to maintain loyalty to this franchise if that's what they become. I'll enjoy watching Luka win multiple titles regardless of team.

Man, there was a time when I would've said this was a sorry ass statement, but this is kind of how I'm starting to feel, too. 

Depends on where he ends up, I guess. I don't think I can be a Lakers, Rockets or Spurs fan.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 12:27 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't see Dirk as a GM candidate. I was just wondering if Dirk had the relationship with Mark to say, "Mark, you really need to hire the best GM you can get,  and then get out of the way. "

Oops. My bad. But my answer is still in the same vein.

I do think Dirk and Mark are friends and Dirk is likely to be candid on whatever he is asked. But imo that's not enough. In fact, I think "ask a friend" is the same ole same ole approach by Mark.

The issue is, would Cuban see Dirk as having the front office knowledge to be smarter than Cuban, in advising him how to structure his front office? Cuban needs to be soliciting input from people smarter (on whatever topic), so that he feels compelled to listen. What in Dirk's years of owning teams, or running front offices, would compel Cuban to defer to his judgment on such things?

If Mark isn't asking questions of THOSE sort of guys, much smarter than him, and deferring, nothing has changed, or can change.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 12:52 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Man, there was a time when I would've said this was a sorry ass statement, but this is kind of how I'm starting to feel, too. 

Depends on where he ends up, I guess. I don't think I can be a Lakers, Rockets or Spurs fan.
It's the era of player empowerment, should become the era of fan empowerment too.

It'd be one thing if the teams were ACTUALLY owned by the fans, Green Bay-style, but since they're instead owned by moron billionaires who can screw around and even move teams away with zero consequences, there's no real reason to be loyal to franchises which aren't loyal to you.
Like Reply
If the Mavs die, or just stagnate, because Cuban is the ceiling, then my bball fandom probably becomes what my football fandom has become over the years. I have no idea what the Cowboys are doing at the moment, and don't really miss them.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 12:58 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I have no idea what the Cowboys are doing at the moment, and don't really miss them.

I know exactly what they're doing right now, and you should be glad you've missed so much. You'll live longer.
Like Reply
What's weird is that, in light of what the Clipps without Kawhi did to Utah, the Mavs (who proved a much harder test for a better LA roster) are probably much farther along than we realized 2 weeks ago. But all we saw was "a failure to advance to round 2."

Then Cuban's dirty laundry got aired. The management dysfunction became public. True to form, he hurriedly blew it up. I hate what I'm seeing, frankly, but no way to put that genie back in the bottle, and the only solution is someone who knows what he's doing.

Dang, I wish Jerry West was available to get this rig out of the ditch. It's amazing how excellence keeps magically following him from franchise to franchise. His ability to find diamonds in the rough and navigate roster building is incredible.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 01:36 AM)F Gump Wrote: What's weird is that, in light of what the Clipps without Kawhi did to Utah, the Mavs (who proved a much harder test for a better LA roster) are probably much farther along than we realized 2 weeks ago. But all we saw was "a failure to advance to round 2."

Then Cuban's dirty laundry got aired. The management dysfunction became public. True to form, he hurriedly blew it up. I hate what I'm seeing, frankly, but no way to put that genie back in the bottle, and the only solution is someone who knows what he's doing.

Dang, I wish Jerry West was available to get this rig out of the ditch. It's amazing how excellence keeps magically following him from franchise to franchise. His ability to find diamonds in the rough and navigate roster building is incredible.
I don't think it's so much the Mavs who are that far along as it is Luka... he's ready to win NOW. Our new GM must put the necessary pieces around him(and Cuban must empower him to do it).
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 01:36 AM)F Gump Wrote: What's weird is that, in light of what the Clipps without Kawhi did to Utah, the Mavs (who proved a much harder test for a better LA roster) are probably much farther along than we realized 2 weeks ago. But all we saw was "a failure to advance to round 2."

That 7-game series keeps looking better and better. Really can’t believe they lost Kawhi and then blew up like that. What a storm!
Like Reply

This is what some of us (several) have been saying.  It used to be that we discussed the "even withs".

Even with KP injured to start the season.

Even with Covid.

Even with resting players more often than most would have liked.

Even with this lesser version of Maxi.

Even with getting basically nothing out of another off-season.

Even with all those things and more, we were the 5th seed in the West.  Now we get to add "even with" all of this internal dysfunction, some of which had to have spilled onto the court and "even with" a poor relationship between coach and star and "even with" whiffing on doing anything to help the team at the TDL.  It isn't hard to imagine finding five more wins and being tied for the third seed.  We were really good defensively against good teams (and just took nights completely off against bad teams).  We had one of the best Net Ratings in the league from March 1st on.

It was pretty clear (at least to me) that we needed one more real NBA level player in the playoffs.  "If only" we had landed Crowder in the off-season, we'd still be playing basketball.  If only Batum signed here instead of LAC, we'd have easily won that series.  All the Peyton Place drama makes for an active board, but you've hit on the most important thing.  IF we can get someone competent (GM and Coach), this team is totally fixable.  In fact, it may not take much.  No one really scares me right now.  I think we would have had a good shot at the WCF's with the addition of guys like Crowder/Batum.  Imagine if we could add someone a little further up the food chain.
Like Reply
I feel pretty good about the Mavs.  Cuban is a constant so to rail against him may be cathartic but ultimately useless. 

To Dan's point, even with all that, one upgraded starter could be enough.   

Fire Bob

Hire GM

Hire Coach

Positive press

Make whatever moves over the summer

Luka signs

Get pumped for the new season
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 12:49 AM)Branduil Wrote: I mean it's easy for me, if Cuban chases Luka out I'm following Luka. I have no reason to maintain loyalty to this franchise if that's what they become. I'll enjoy watching Luka win multiple titles regardless of team.

Basically how I feel.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 12:57 AM)F Gump Wrote: Oops. My bad. But my answer is still in the same vein.

I do think Dirk and Mark are friends and Dirk is likely to be candid on whatever he is asked. But imo that's not enough. In fact, I think "ask a friend" is the same ole same ole approach by Mark.

The issue is, would Cuban see Dirk as having the front office knowledge to be smarter than Cuban, in advising him how to structure his front office? Cuban needs to be soliciting input from people smarter (on whatever topic), so that he feels compelled to listen. What in Dirk's years of owning teams, or running front offices, would compel Cuban to defer to his judgment on such things?

If Mark isn't asking questions of THOSE sort of guys, much smarter than him, and deferring, nothing has changed, or can change.

I was thinking last night why have that meeting? What was said during it? 

Trying to determine the direction of the team... That's interesting considering you hired a firm to hire a gm and then it seems like the GM will be at least in on the hiring process for coach. 

So what is their to discuss in that meeting? 

I believe they absolutely had to have discussed where things went wrong and why things are the way they are now. And how things should change. That's the only logical reason you have that meeting. Hopefully some people told Cuban what he needed to hear that you needed someone to come in and take charge with a plan and stop trying to be so hands on. It's so incredibly obvious to any sane person other than Cuban.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 08:19 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote:  In fact, it may not take much.  No one really scares me right now.  I think we would have had a good shot at the WCF's with the addition of guys like Crowder/Batum.  Imagine if we could add someone a little further up the food chain.

I think this is kind of a dangerous attitude to have. The no one really scares me right now/we are fairly close. 
We are in a weird period of transition in the NBA. I mean look at all the teams that made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. You are getting a first time nba champion or first one since 83. So the power and talent is still shifting and the league is wide open. You will have years like this occasionally. 

But that's not sustainable. The entire history of the NBA tells us that you are going to get multiple powerhouses you are going to have to deal with to win titles. There may not be one now but there will be. Heck maybe the Mavs are one of those teams. 

But if you don't have the mindset that we need to get significantly better, I think you have the wrong mindset. There is no way this team is close to competing with the typical quality of team that's winning nba championships.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 11:53 AM)cjeter24 Wrote: I think this is kind of a dangerous attitude to have. The no one really scares me right now/we are fairly close. 

But if you don't have the mindset that we need to get significantly better, I think you have the wrong mindset. There is no way this team is close to competing with the typical quality of team that's winning nba championships.

I think it is more nuanced than that.  Does the new GM need to wield a scalpel or a hatchet?  There are issues with each approach.  It is certainly possible some new GM comes in wanting to make a mark immediately and makes all sorts of Detroit-esque moves.   Next thing you know you are paying big bucks to Charlie V. and Josh Smith.  

It is also possible to "love our boys in blue" so much that you create a narrative that we are really close.  I think we are really good.  I think the numbers back that up.  We aren't a MLE guy away from a championship by any means.  But, the right MLE guy this season might have gotten us to the WCF.  We probably need a couple of guys, but if they are the right guys and we don't give up too much, then the guys we have slot into more appropriate roles.  It isn't that Maxi, THJ, DFS, Brunson and Powell are trash.  It is that they aren't good enough in the roles we ask them to play.  Move them down two slots and now we are talking.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 12:12 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think it is more nuanced than that.  Does the new GM need to wield a scalpel or a hatchet?  There are issues with each approach.  It is certainly possible some new GM comes in wanting to make a mark immediately and makes all sorts of Detroit-esque moves.   Next thing you know you are paying big bucks to Charlie V. and Josh Smith.  

It is also possible to "love our boys in blue" so much that you create a narrative that we are really close.  I think we are really good.  I think the numbers back that up.  We aren't a MLE guy away from a championship by any means.  But, the right MLE guy this season might have gotten us to the WCF.  We probably need a couple of guys, but if they are the right guys and we don't give up too much, then the guys we have slot into more appropriate roles.  It isn't that Maxi, THJ, DFS, Brunson and Powell are trash.  It is that they aren't good enough in the roles we ask them to play.  Move them down two slots and now we are talking.

Another thing to consider... Alot of these guys are already approaching 30 or at it. That's why I'm all for moving on from them.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 08:19 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This is what some of us (several) have been saying.  It used to be that we discussed the "even withs".

Even with KP injured to start the season.

Even with Covid.

Even with resting players more often than most would have liked.

Even with this lesser version of Maxi.

Even with getting basically nothing out of another off-season.

Even with all those things and more, we were the 5th seed in the West.  Now we get to add "even with" all of this internal dysfunction, some of which had to have spilled onto the court and "even with" a poor relationship between coach and star and "even with" whiffing on doing anything to help the team at the TDL.  It isn't hard to imagine finding five more wins and being tied for the third seed.  We were really good defensively against good teams (and just took nights completely off against bad teams).  We had one of the best Net Ratings in the league from March 1st on.

It was pretty clear (at least to me) that we needed one more real NBA level player in the playoffs.  "If only" we had landed Crowder in the off-season, we'd still be playing basketball.  If only Batum signed here instead of LAC, we'd have easily won that series.  All the Peyton Place drama makes for an active board, but you've hit on the most important thing.  IF we can get someone competent (GM and Coach), this team is totally fixable.  In fact, it may not take much.  No one really scares me right now.  I think we would have had a good shot at the WCF's with the addition of guys like Crowder/Batum.  Imagine if we could add someone a little further up the food chain.
Yeah or the Clippers figure out right away that Mann/Jackson should play over Zubac/Beverley/Rondo and they beat us for 4-0/4-1.

The idea that Batum or Crowder would put us in the WCF is just mental. They are just more role players that can´t create their own shots.

Furthermore Denver missed Murray/Barton. Jazz played with an injured backcourt. Young Suns will be a year older. Lakers will probably bounce back.

We need a massive talent upgrade around Luka. Of course there are quick fixes and delusional what if positions, when you have a generational superstar,  but do you want 20 years of Dirk/KG success or Duncan/LeBron success?
Like Reply
I'll never count out LeBron, but I wouldn't put money on the Lakers bouncing back.  Father time appears to be catching up with LeBron and AD's health is little more than a flip of the coin.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 04:02 PM)cow Wrote: I'll never count out LeBron, but I wouldn't put money on the Lakers bouncing back.  Father time appears to be catching up with LeBron and AD's health is little more than a flip of the coin.

LeGM just found his first scapegoat...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1000...r-injuries
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply