MavsBoard
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor (/showthread.php?tid=1042)

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - Dahlsim - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 03:08 PM)omahen Wrote: I somehow just doubt Luka is super involved in any team building or front office decisions. I think he just wants to play basketball and win. Of course I might be wrong, but I just haven't seen anything that would indicate differently. Giving all the power to a 22 year old kid would be totally wrong anyway...

Yes Luka is 22 I get that but these "kids" today, at Luka's level, have hundred million dollar and billion dollar "camps" around them. 

There has to be a Luka "camp", Agent, Mom, closest friends and players.   
They aren't all 22 and some may have opinions on this stuff which gets to Luka. 
This may already be playing out in some opinion on the firing of Donnie.

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - HanspardsShowerVoice - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 03:29 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: They have a month and a half to get things in order.

Right.  And I'm going to assume they're going to hire someone else who has a current NBA front office job and is somewhat familiar with current existing NBA players and the free agents.    In fact, probably a good thing to have someone who has a point of view and evaluation of the free agent crop from outside the existing Mavs pro player evaluation system that brought us Josh Richardson and Delon Wright.

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - dynamicalVoid - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 03:18 PM)omahen Wrote: I guess from the big names we know he is the only one that fits the bill. Of course I don't think any of us has much of an idea which assistant GM or something is widely respected in NBA circles.

I see a lot of talk about how Denver is doing good things.  Maybe look there

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - TXBamanut - 06-16-2021

I'm also skeptical that Spears knows what he talking about, because he can't even pronounce Luka's name...it's not absolute, but it sure makes me skeptical.

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 03:36 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: I'm also skeptical that Spears knows what he talking about, because he can't even pronounce Luka's name...it's not absolute, but it sure makes me skeptical.

"Donsick"

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - JamesConway - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 03:29 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: They have a month and a half to get things in order.
Timing is obviously pretty awful but this is the right move. Donnie has done a terrible job the last ten years. Keeping him would have meant ruining the Luka era. How many more shots does he need to prove that he can’t get anybody of significance in FA. Even his big trades more often than not backfired (Rondo, KP, Noel) and we don’t even have to talk about the draft. 

And if we blame all of this on Cuban then it still would be on Donnie for being too weak to actually change something. If he’s just a pushover then he’s not the right guy.

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - omahen - 06-16-2021

There is only one question regarding the new GM - will Cuban really give him the power. If yes, it doesn't matter really who they bring, the guy will try to do his best. There is never guarantee it will work, but at least it will be a change. I guess we mostly agree change makes sense for this organization. 

Of course the fanbase will only believe the new guy has the power if someone like Ujiri walks in. If Cuban pulls that one, he is the big cahuna owner. The man!

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - ClutchDirk - 06-16-2021

The Dallas Mavericks don't intend to extend the contract of Haralabos Voulgaris, according to Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer. Voulgaris' contract was set to expire this offseason.
"Sounds like he's gone as well," said Kevin O'Connor.
Wosny Lambre, however, reports that Voulgaris is not necessarily going to leave the front office.
"Bob ain't out over there," said Lambre.

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - TXBamanut - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 03:32 PM)JamesConway Wrote: You had to fire him before he ruined another offseason. What the Mavs pulled off the last years was shameful. 

Put it this way: the chances of Donnie for once actually getting the job done? Close to zero. 

The chances someone new does a better job? Potentially much better depending on who they sign. An effin stud like Ujiri would right the ship quickly and the sooner you allow him to come onboard the better.

I don't disagree, because Donnie hasn't really gotten the players.  He's like a guy with a penchant for making half court shots to win the game, but gets torched the rest of the time.

BUT...I am like of all the times for things to come crashing down within this org, with all this stuff, right before Luka is scheduled to sign the max extension...good grief.

While I don't think Spears knows what he thinks he knows, if he's right and Luka isn't down with this...this is the WORST time.  I'd have rather gotten that signature...then booted Donnie.

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - HanspardsShowerVoice - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 03:37 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Timing is obviously pretty awful but this is the right move. Donnie has done a terrible job the last ten years. Keeping him would have meant ruining the Luka era. How many more shots does he need to prove that he can’t get anybody of significance in FA. Even his big trades more often than not backfired (Rondo, KP, Noel) and we don’t even have to talk about the draft. 

And if we blame all of this on Cuban then it still would be on Donnie for being too weak to actually change something. If he’s just a pushover then he’s not the right guy.

Really, the best thing that potentially comes out of this, even moreso than the actual hire, is just a complete restructure of the Mavs Front Office decision process.     Things were obviously broken and disconnected in various ways between the major parties.    The Rondo trade, even though Carlisle obviously wanted nothing to do with him for example.   The disconnect on having no real established plan on how they were going to  get game minutes and develop drafted players.   On and on and on.   A three headed monster where none of the three heads were on the same page.  The entire process just needs to be gutted and rebuilt like an old dilapidated house, and removing the Donnie familiarity crutch allows them to finally do that.

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - RasheedsBigWhiteSpot - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 03:33 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Yes Luka is 22 I get that but these "kids" today, at Luka's level, have hundred million dollar and billion dollar "camps" around them. 

There has to be a Luka "camp", Agent, Mom, closest friends and players.   
They aren't all 22 and some may have opinions on this stuff which gets to Luka. 
This may already be playing out in some opinion on the firing of Donnie.

Makes you miss and crave the simplicity of Dirk and Holger.

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - Kammrath - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 03:40 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Voulgaris is not necessarily going to leave the front office.

We don't know enough to determine whether Voulgaris is good at his job or not. Cuban SHOULD know. He should know what Voulgaris has pushed for and not pushed for and then have the results of these last few years to reflect on.

It wouldn't surprise me if Voulgaris is anti-social and hard to get along with, but incredibly good at offering perspectives and advice. 

I think Cato did his job in his article, but I do not necessarily trust the perspectives of his sources...they obviously had an axe to grind, so their perspectives were probably dripping and tainted in high emotions and frustrations.

Point being, I wouldn't give up on Voulgaris as a fan until I really see more evidence.

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - Hypermav - 06-16-2021

[Image: giphy.gif]

My reaction but maybe something good will come of this.  Luka is not going anywhere and that is all that matters.  Not like we have much choice on the Cuban train.

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - ClutchDirk - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 03:51 PM)Kammrath Wrote: We don't know enough to determine whether Voulgaris is good at his job or not. Cuban SHOULD know. He should know what Voulgaris has pushed for and not pushed for and then have the results of these last few years to reflect on.

It wouldn't surprise me if Voulgaris is anti-social and hard to get along with, but incredibly good at offering perspectives and advice. 

I think Cato did his job in his article, but I do not necessarily trust the perspectives of his sources...they obviously had an axe to grind, so their perspectives were probably dripping and tainted in high emotions and frustrations.

Point being, I wouldn't give up on Voulgaris as a fan until I really see more evidence.

Changing Twitter title to Head Collector is enough evidence IMO...

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - Hypermav - 06-16-2021

The MBT is dead, long live the MBT.

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - DallasBasketball - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 02:55 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: So now on Twitter Bob's title has changed to head collector...

F him...

If Cuban keeps this guy around Cuban is the problem.

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - HanspardsShowerVoice - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 03:51 PM)Kammrath Wrote: We don't know enough to determine whether Voulgaris is good at his job or not. Cuban SHOULD know. He should know what Voulgaris has pushed for and not pushed for and then have the results of these last few years to reflect on.

Right.  If Voulgaris is gone I'm not going to be up in arms on it, but I'm also not basing my opinion on him based on what was obviously a hit piece fed by sources who had an axe to grind.    Seemingly the problem is he was given an outsized role in the organization and part of that was due to Donnie's weakness and lack of authority as a GM.    If he's cool with just being a traditional head of analytics guy feeding information to a GM, who serves as ultimate decision maker, then that's cool.  Maybe he's good at what he does.   The Mavs offensive rating and wins were punching way above their roster talent bodyweight for the last two years, even when Luka has been out for extended time with inury, so someone in the organization is cooking up some kind of chicken salad.

(06-16-2021, 03:40 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: I don't disagree, because Donnie hasn't really gotten the players.  He's like a guy with a penchant for making half court shots to win the game, but gets torched the rest of the time.

BUT...I am like of all the times for things to come crashing down within this org, with all this stuff, right before Luka is scheduled to sign the max extension...good grief.

While I don't think Spears knows what he thinks he knows, if he's right and Luka isn't down with this...this is the WORST time.  I'd have rather gotten that signature...then booted Donnie.
Yeah it’s rough, if Spears is right this was a terrible day but I think he’s full of crap and Luka will extend regardless.

The contract after the upcoming one will be the big one. That’s what this change his all about. They can’t afford to mess things up even more than they already have.

RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - HanspardsShowerVoice - 06-16-2021

(06-16-2021, 03:55 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Changing Twitter title to Head Collector is enough evidence IMO...

Do we know for sure when he put that in his bio?

(06-16-2021, 03:43 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Really, the best thing that potentially comes out of this, even moreso than the actual hire, is just a complete restructure of the Mavs Front Office decision process.     Things were obviously broken and disconnected in various ways between the major parties.    The Rondo trade, even though Carlisle obviously wanted nothing to do with him for example.   The disconnect on having no real established plan on how they were going to  get game minutes and develop drafted players.   On and on and on.   A three headed monster where none of the three heads were on the same page.  The entire process just needs to be gutted and rebuilt like an old dilapidated house, and removing the Donnie familiarity crutch allows them to finally do that.
THIS x1000