Poll: What will be the series result?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
LAC wins 4-0
0%
0 0%
LAC wins 4-1
1.79%
1 1.79%
LAC wins 4-2
16.07%
9 16.07%
LAC wins 4-3
7.14%
4 7.14%
DAL wins 4-3
30.36%
17 30.36%
DAL wins 4-2
35.71%
20 35.71%
DAL wins 4-1
1.79%
1 1.79%
DAL wins 4-0
7.14%
4 7.14%
Total 56 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 LAC (4-3) vs #5 DAL (3-4)
(06-05-2021, 10:12 AM)omahen Wrote: George was out of bounds, standing on the ground. It is totally irrelevant, where the ball bounced from him, it was out of bounds the moment it touched him

Exactly.
Like Reply
1. Why weren't the Mavs double teaming Kawhi like in game 5?
2. Why didn't Bobi play in the 4th quarter? Why no twin towers? That is the strategy which bothers the Clippers the most.
3. Why didn't Powell play except 2-3 minutes or so?
4. Why doesn't Porzingis get more 3s or midrange jumpshots? He should basically have free sight on the basket being so much taller than all the Clippers.
5. Where is KP's bankshot from last year's bubble?
6. Why doesn't Doncic drive to the basket anymore? Too many post-up fadaways and bad 3s which wasn't effective yesterday. Is he tired?
7. What is wrong with the Refs not giving Luka ANY CALLS and not seeing obvious things like the out of bounds play with Maxi Kleber and Paul George?
8. Why did the Clippers get 28 FT and the Mavs only 14 while shooting 43 FGA in the paint?
9. Why didn't Rick Carlisle challenge the Boban offensive foul against Morris or the the out of bounds play with Kleber?

I'm p*** about all of this.
Like Reply
(06-05-2021, 08:00 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: But they both were out of bounds, and the ball bounced off George and hit Kleber. So it touches him last.  Isn't that the correct call?  I've seen that happen plenty.  I agree the call against Boban was bogus because Morris uses the old "hook his arm" trick to make it seem like Boban was grabbing him. Seen that plenty as well.

If George is out of bounds and the ball hits him first, then the ball is out of bounds at that exact moment. Doesn't matter what happens next.

For example, lets say a guy is trying to save a ball from going out of bounds. He tries to catch it in mid air and tries to throw it back onto the court, but before he does so a fan smacks the ball toward him so he can catch it better. Is the ball still in play or not? (the answer is no). George was out. Ball hit him first. Should've been Mavs ball.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Okay, fellas, I got the message loud and clear. They blew the call, but that's not the first time I've seen that happen and they award the ball to who touched it last. All I was saying.  So maybe some of these refs need to go back over the rule book.
Like Reply
Before they go over the rule book they need to get LASIK surgery...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-05-2021, 11:32 AM)Time Machine Dirk Wrote: 1. Why weren't the Mavs double teaming Kawhi like in game 5?
2. Why didn't Bobi play in the 4th quarter? Why no twin towers? That is the strategy which bothers the Clippers the most.
3. Why didn't Powell play except 2-3 minutes or so?
4. Why doesn't Porzingis get more 3s or midrange jumpshots? He should basically have free sight on the basket being so much taller than all the Clippers.
5. Where is KP's bankshot from last year's bubble?
6. Why doesn't Doncic drive to the basket anymore? Too many post-up fadaways and bad 3s which wasn't effective yesterday. Is he tired?
7. What is wrong with the Refs not giving Luka ANY CALLS and not seeing obvious things like the out of bounds play with Maxi Kleber and Paul George?
8. Why did the Clippers get 28 FT and the Mavs only 14 while shooting 43 FGA in the paint?
9. Why didn't Rick Carlisle challenge the Boban offensive foul against Morris or the the out of bounds play with Kleber?

I'm p*** about all of this.

Six and Seven are highly related.
Like Reply
This feels like a repeat of the 2011 World Series.

(but I hope it's not)
Like Reply
Mavs are done unless they shoot an unrealistic 3-pt percentage like games 1 and 2 to get a big lead and then hold on. That's their only chance. The Clippers have shut them down in the 4th quarter for the past 4 games and the Mavs have no answer.

Mavs 4th Quarter Points/FG%:

Game 3: 22/38%
Game 4: 21/26%
Game 5: 16/22%
Game 6: 20/20%

Those are horrible numbers. This offense is toast
Like Reply
(06-05-2021, 04:36 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Mavs are done unless they shoot an unrealistic 3-pt percentage like games 1 and 2 to get a big lead and then hold on. That's their only chance. The Clippers have shut them down in the 4th quarter for the past 4 games and the Mavs have no answer.

Mavs 4th Quarter Points/FG%:

Game 3: 22/38%
Game 4: 21/26%
Game 5: 16/22%
Game 6: 20/20%

Those are horrible numbers. This offense is toast

Wow. That is a truly appalling list.
Like Reply
Stayed away after the loss. Decided to peruse a few threads tonight. 

Dang. Seems like many have already started the off season.
Like Reply
(06-05-2021, 09:16 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Stayed away after the loss. Decided to peruse a few threads tonight. 

Dang. Seems like many have already started the off season.

The Mavs will survive tomorrow if Luka has another fourth quarter gear for game 7 and his back to the wall. It will be a performance for the ages, and probably Luka's most heroic game as a Mav to date, if it happens. We will all celebrate big time if it does. 

Part of that being such a huge celebration is the strong likelihood that it doesn't happen. I understand "don't underestimate Luka." He's all we have. *All* we have.
Like Reply
This is the Mavs 1st time on the big stage in a few years. They pushed the Clips to the brink, but Luka is the only one on the roster that has played a game of this magnitude. Clips have the players that have been in the moment, especially Kawhi and Rondo. Mavs need a ungodly game from Luka, THJ , and a out of body experience from KP along with small contributions from the bench to pull this off, but Kawhi and PG have to redeem themselves from last year's meltdown too. Should be a war.
Like Reply
This is absolutely a huge opportunity game. It does not look good for multiple reasons. But how many times this year did the Mavericks play a truly great game and beat a really good team. That is what gives me hope. 

As well we need a referee team that controls the Clippers Morris style basketball. Watching Blake Griffin last night reminded me how much I hate the Clippers style of “basketball”. They are for example reaching directly to the shooters elbow in a planned and practiced way. Call that crap and they are thrown off their game. Some refs do call the Clippers crap. That is a big reason they always fall apart. Watch for this!
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 09:40 AM)ReunionMav Wrote: As well we need a referee team that controls the Clippers Morris style basketball. Watching Blake Griffin last night reminded me how much I hate the Clippers style of “basketball”. They are for example reaching directly to the shooters elbow in a planned and practiced way. Call that crap and they are thrown off their game. Some refs do call the Clippers crap. That is a big reason they always fall apart. Watch for this!

Scott Foster (#48)  Crew Chief
Josh Tiven (#58)  Referee
Sean Wright (#4)  Umpire
Tre Maddox (#23)  Alternate

Replay Center: Mark Lindsay

https://official.nba.com/referee-assignments/

https://www.basketball-reference.com/tea...erees.html
Like Reply
(06-04-2021, 11:04 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The refs were fucking horrible tonight too

I mean even the announcers on that Boban miscall were flabbergasted.

(06-04-2021, 11:11 PM)omahen Wrote: It is of course impossible for me to be objective and see potential missed calls against Clippers, but refs made several obvious mistakes against Mavs. I think they whistled a couple of very soft fouls against Mavs that were never called on the other side with only one exception (Morris on Luka 3 pointer). Than that phantom Bobi offensive foul, Kleber saving throwing the ball to out of bounds George,...

(06-05-2021, 08:00 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: But they both were out of bounds, and the ball bounced off George and hit Kleber. So it touches him last.  Isn't that the correct call?  I've seen that happen plenty.  I agree the call against Boban was bogus because Morris uses the old "hook his arm" trick to make it seem like Boban was grabbing him. Seen that plenty as well.

(06-05-2021, 08:09 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Apparently once the ball touches ONE player out of bounds the play is over. Obviously leave it to NBA refs to not know their own rules. Then Ken Mauer is only in this league for like 30 years, so why should he know the rules. Rolleyes

After watching this for over 20 years, it´s either that the NBA (refs) does not want White Europeans as THE face of the American NBA or they just flat out hate Cuban and the Mavericks.

Though I have no idea why Carlisle didn´t challenge some of the obvious calls like Boban.

(06-05-2021, 08:51 AM)Halfnir Wrote: Or it's just plain incompetence to understand what just happened.

I don't get how you can have 66 year old Ken Mauer reffing one of the fastest team games in the world while forcing him to run back and forth for 2h. I'm 49 and sometimes can't keep up with what is happening on the court.

(06-05-2021, 10:12 AM)omahen Wrote: George was out of bounds, standing on the ground. It is totally irrelevant, where the ball bounced from him, it was out of bounds the moment it touched him

(06-05-2021, 10:47 AM)Hogmelon Wrote: Exactly.

(06-05-2021, 12:42 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: If George is out of bounds and the ball hits him first, then the ball is out of bounds at that exact moment. Doesn't matter what happens next.

For example, lets say a guy is trying to save a ball from going out of bounds. He tries to catch it in mid air and tries to throw it back onto the court, but before he does so a fan smacks the ball toward him so he can catch it better. Is the ball still in play or not? (the answer is no). George was out. Ball hit him first. Should've been Mavs ball.

(06-05-2021, 01:35 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Okay, fellas, I got the message loud and clear. They blew the call, but that's not the first time I've seen that happen and they award the ball to who touched it last. All I was saying.  So maybe some of these refs need to go back over the rule book.

(06-05-2021, 01:50 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Before they go over the rule book they need to get LASIK surgery...

https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content...-Rules.pdf
Like Reply
I had Clippers in 7. Sorry to have been right. But, I didn’t expect the Mavs to have a chance to wrap it in six.  That will go down as a big missed opportunity.
Like Reply
One thing that we haven´t really mentioned when it comes ot the overall level of play from both teams. The Clippers as a team are much more comfortable with the ball in their hands. Except for the bigs all players can put the ball on the floor and make good reads and passes. We talked about the Mavs problems to execute after the initial Luka double/trap. Clippers put on a clinic and showed how to do it. Finished game 7 with 30ast/8tov. That´s even more impressive than 20/43 from 3.
When I look at the Mavs roster it is easy to identify passing and ballhandling as major weaknesses among the role players. When two bigs and DFS are on the floor the Mavs only have two guys that can create of the dribble. One of them is THJ or Richardson. Not exactly reliable playmaker. Brunson is solid of the bench but he is more of a score first undersized SG. Not the greatest passing vision either.
No front court player can put the ball on the floor (that´s what makes the trap so efficient). Powell and Kleber showed some potential as passers but that´s not enough. WCS struggles to catch the ball. Don´t ask him to pass it. KP and Boban are mediocre passers.

A lot of posters are asking for another wing/guard that can create of the catch/dribble. I think a front court player with that kind of skill set is more important.
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 07:46 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: A lot of posters are asking for another wing/guard that can create of the catch/dribble. I think a front court player with that kind of skill set is more important.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply