Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
John Collins...Our Third Star
I feel like with Collins it's going to be difficult for the Hawks to ever make the most of his value playing next to Capela, who does a lot of the same things on offense. I think his value in the future depends on him becoming a small-ball stretch 5, as we're seeing with more teams going small. Not saying you wouldn't play him with a center ever, but I think like with the Lakers and AD, playing him at center next to Luka and 3 versatile wings could create an unguardable lineup. The defense is the question mark I guess, ideally you'd also find a wing-forward like Robert Covington with shot-blocking ability to play next to him.
Like Reply
(06-23-2021, 03:29 AM)Branduil Wrote: I feel like with Collins it's going to be difficult for the Hawks to ever make the most of his value playing next to Capela, who does a lot of the same things on offense. I think his value in the future depends on him becoming a small-ball stretch 5, as we're seeing with more teams going small. Not saying you wouldn't play him with a center ever, but I think like with the Lakers and AD, playing him at center next to Luka and 3 versatile wings could create an unguardable lineup. The defense is the question mark I guess, ideally you'd also find a wing-forward like Robert Covington with shot-blocking ability to play next to him.

That forward with shot-blocking ability was Maxi before falling off this year.  The ideal pairing would be Turner, who could anchor the defense and spread the floor on offense giving Collins room to operate.
Like Reply
(06-23-2021, 09:04 AM)mvossman Wrote: That forward with shot-blocking ability was Maxi before falling off this year.  The ideal pairing would be Turner, who could anchor the defense and spread the floor on offense giving Collins room to operate.

Actually another guy that would make sense next to Collins is Theis.  Maybe you trade KP for Collins in a three team deal via Wizards or Hornets.  Then you trade JRich for Theis.  Resign THJ and get a quality point guard with size for the MLE (maybe Reggie Jackson?).
Like Reply
(06-23-2021, 09:04 AM)mvossman Wrote: That forward with shot-blocking ability was Maxi before falling off this year.  The ideal pairing would be Turner, who could anchor the defense and spread the floor on offense giving Collins room to operate.

Maxi deal with an Achilles injury a lot of the year.  Let's hope he can bounce back.
Like Reply
(06-23-2021, 10:47 AM)cow Wrote: Maxi deal with an Achilles injury a lot of the year.  Let's hope he can bounce back.

bounce! Ha ha!
Like Reply
John Collins with 23 points 15 rebounds (shooting 11-16 from the field).  I thought he played terrific defense switching all over the place on various Bucks players.  He was a +12 in the game.

What I would do if we got Collins and paired him up with KP.
Like Reply
(06-23-2021, 10:15 PM)Mavs03 Wrote: John Collins with 23 points 15 rebounds (shooting 11-16 from the field).  I thought he played terrific defense switching all over the place on various Bucks players.  He was a +12 in the game.

What I would do if we got Collins and paired him up with KP.

I think we can all say goodbye to the Collins idea given his performance in these playoffs. Especially with that post-game interview about their "brotherhood." Oh, brother.
Like Reply
(06-23-2021, 10:32 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think we can all say goodbye to the Collins idea given his performance in these playoffs. Especially with that post-game interview about their "brotherhood." Oh, brother.

I wouldn't give up completely. Not yet, at least. 

If they don't pay him what he wants he'll look around, brotherhood or no. And, while it might've had to do with the old coach's opinion of him, it's true that they've been reluctant to back the truck up for the guy leading up to this coming summer. 

We'll see.
Like Reply
Cheer for Atlanta to win the championship and then maybe Collins decides to ditch the brotherhood for a max payday.
Like Reply
(06-23-2021, 10:32 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think we can all say goodbye to the Collins idea given his performance in these playoffs. Especially with that post-game interview about their "brotherhood." Oh, brother.

We will see man you never know
Like Reply
I will say one thing about Collins.  He can flat out shoot.  He and Luka could wreak havoc on the offensive end.  Collins has also impressed me on the defensive end.  He also has some swag.  I think he can change the culture of this team.  I'm debating which person we should be at their door at on August 2nd...Collins or Ball?
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 12:29 AM)Mavs03 Wrote: I will say one thing about Collins.  He can flat out shoot.  He and Luka could wreak havoc on the offensive end.  Collins has also impressed me on the defensive end.  He also has some swag.  I think he can change the culture of this team.  I'm debating which person we should be at their door at on August 2nd...Collins or Ball?

Pretty sure Ball doesn't want to come here so that decision is pretty easy. I expect Mavs to try to make a deal with Atlanta before free agency begins.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 10:19 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Pretty sure Ball doesn't want to come here so that decision is pretty easy. I expect Mavs to try to make a deal with Atlanta before free agency begins.

You keep saying that and not saying you're wrong because Chicago did go after him at the deadline but...there's no hard evidence that he wouldn't want to come here.
Like Reply
Can someone explain why Collins is even still a thing? There was no guarantee ATL was just going to let Collins walk much less sign & trade him to the Mavs even before they turned their season around. Now they're up 1-0 in the ECF and have a puncher's chance at winning a title. They have a bonafide superstar and Collins is number two in minutes, scoring, rebounding and PER. ATL is deeper, younger and more talented than the Mavs; and judging by recent quotes Collins loves the team and has embraced his role. 

Someone please tell me why he'd be worth more to the Mavs than he is to the team who drafted and developed him into a perfect compliment to their championship contending squad?
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 10:46 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: You keep saying that and not saying you're wrong because Chicago did go after him at the deadline but...there's no hard evidence that he wouldn't want to come here.
It’s pretty well-established the Lonzo wants Chicago or New York. The only way we get into the conversation is being willing to pay him more than they are. Then you get to a point where we have to ask ourselves if he’s worth it.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 10:53 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Can someone explain why Collins is even still a thing? There was no guarantee ATL was just going to let Collins walk much less sign & trade him to the Mavs even before they turned their season around. Now they're up 1-0 in the ECF and have a puncher's chance at winning a title. They have a bonafide superstar and Collins is number two in minutes, scoring, rebounding and PER. ATL is deeper, younger and more talented than the Mavs; and judging by recent quotes Collins loves the team and has embraced his role. 

Someone please tell me why he'd be worth more to the Mavs than he is to the team who drafted and developed him into a perfect compliment to their championship contending squad?

So this thread started long before Hawks got deep into the playoffs. As it stands I would think that the Hawks would keep Collins and clean up their cap later (ie Gallo dump 1 yr from now).

That being said it doesn't hurt for Mavs to see if the Hawks are willing to trade him. Mavs can offer him the max which is going to make the Hawks cap get pretty nuts in a couple of years. 

I wouldn't worry about Mavs wasting time on Collins bc they will have to negotiate with Atlanta first. The only way Mavs will get him is through a S&T.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:09 AM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: It’s pretty well-established the Lonzo wants Chicago or New York. The only way we get into the conversation is being willing to pay him more than they are. Then you get to a point where we have to ask ourselves if he’s worth it.

Can you provide that evidence?  Because the only things that Lonzo has ever said publicly is that he wants to stay in New Orleans and people speculating Chicago (and honestly not really much New York).

Again, not saying it isn't true, it's just odd that we're presenting all this as evidence that he definitely doesn't want to come here but talk as if Collins would want to.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:46 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Can you provide that evidence?  Because the only things that Lonzo has ever said publicly is that he wants to stay in New Orleans and people speculating Chicago (and honestly not really much New York).

Again, not saying it isn't true, it's just odd that we're presenting all this as evidence that he definitely doesn't want to come here but talk as if Collins would want to.
No problem. I shared it over in the discord chat the other day. I’ll try and find it again. It came straight from his agent. That Lonzo really wants to play in Chicago or New York.

I also have no reason to believe that Collins would want to come here even if he left Atlanta. Maybe he would maybe he wouldn’t.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/thehoopcentral/statu...70627?s=21
Here it is.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:56 AM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: https://twitter.com/thehoopcentral/statu...70627?s=21
Here it is.

Ya I remember this.  This doesn't say it's straight from his agent though, there's obviously a good chance it's accurate but just saying this is more speculation.
Like Reply