• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRESEASON AWARDS
Preseason Awards

EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS AWARD: Tim Hardaway JR

LOTTERY PICK IN THE RE-DRAFT AWARD: Jalen Brunson

MAKE THE KNICKS LOOK STUPID AWARD: Kristaps Porzingis 

BEST DEFENSE ON GUYS A FOOT SHORTER THAN HIM AWARD: Maxi Kleber

GOOD BUT TIMID TEAMMATE AWARD: Delon Wright

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll start us off. 

The EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS AWARD goes to:

Tim Hardaway Jr!!!!

THJ is playing really well. He's playing nothing like what we all (or mostly) expected. He's shooting and driving in rhythm, playing within the offense and not shot hunting. He looks relaxed, quick and springy. His decisiveness is helping and not hurting. 

So far, so great. Well done, THJ. 

Based on all we've said about him before the last couple of games, just thought he should get some recognition for playing so well.

Alrighty then pal, let's see all this in the regular season!
Like Reply
I agree. THJ is turning our opinion around slowly. I hope he improves on this and defines his role out nicely. He can make a great 6th man off the bench. 

An other award in my eyes: 
The Player To Watch Award goes to .... BRUNSON. 

I think he take a good step this year and we'll see his progress this year for sure.
Like Reply
(10-18-2019, 09:53 AM)iolide Wrote: I agree. THJ is turning our opinion around slowly. I hope he improves on this and defines his role out nicely. He can make a great 6th man off the bench. 

An other award in my eyes: 
The Player To Watch Award goes to .... BRUNSON. 

I think he take a good step this year and we'll see his progress this year for sure.

Cool, I'll create an award list in the OP and update it as folks add awards.
Like Reply
Brunson had the best summer and showed during preseason he is starter or 6th man ready...he has exceeded everyone's expectations on what he could be right after the draft...I think he is the 3rd or 4th best player on our team currently...

IMO he is a player that should only be traded for a star and if not should have a long career playing for us...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
My vote goes to Brunson. Dude just has no quit. 
I had him penciled in as the 5th guard behind Wright, Doncic, Barea and Curry. Now I think he's a lock to start.
Like Reply
I expected Brunson to be really good. We expected THJ to be awful. 

Do you guys want Brunson for the EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS AWARD, or do you want to give Brunson a different award? Like THIRD BEST AWARD or BEST OFFSEASON AWARD or BIG HEAD AWARD?
Like Reply
(10-18-2019, 10:27 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I expected Brunson to be really good. We expected THJ to be awful. 

Do you guys want Brunson for the EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS AWARD, or do you want to give Brunson a different award? Like THIRD BEST AWARD or BEST OFFSEASON AWARD or BIG HEAD AWARD?

I expected THJ to play first scorer-off-the-bench and he's done that. Remains to be seen if his shooting percentages hold up. I'm skeptical.

I expected Brunson to come off the bench -- after Barea --  in a "be-ready" role -- sometimes getting DNP-CD. 

So I'd give Brunson an EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS AWARD ... He's basically bumping Doncic to the wing and earning minutes over Barea, Curry, DFS and Jackson, all of whom have looked pretty good.
Like Reply
vfromlmf said it perfectly...Brunson went from Barea's eventual replacement to looking like a solid starter this preseason...
Like Reply
Man, I think y'alls expectations for Brunson were off. I expected him to be the team's secondary ball handler and for JJB to play spot duty. I'm going to make an executive decision to give Brunson a different award unless you guys get one more vote for Brunson for the EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS AWARD. If you guys get that one more vote then you win.

And anyway, V and Clutch...

I named the award that I gave to THJ. Brunson should get an award! Why don't you guys think of an awesome name for Brunson's award instead of taking the award name that I made up? Give me an award name for Brunson and I'll change what I have up there now. 

And come on peeps, give me some more awards!
Like Reply
(10-18-2019, 10:57 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Man, I think y'alls expectations for Brunson were off. I expected him to be the team's secondary ball handler and for JJB to play spot duty. I'm going to make an executive decision to give Brunson a different award unless you guys get one more vote for Brunson for the EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS AWARD. If you guys get that one more vote then you win.

And anyway, V and Clutch...

I named the award that I gave to THJ. Brunson should get an award! Why don't you guys think of an awesome name for Brunson's award instead of taking the award name that I made up? Give me an award name for Brunson and I'll change what I have up there now. 

And come on peeps, give me some more awards!
Brunson looks just like I thought he would. THJ is exceeding expectations for sure. Brunson should get the "lottery pick in a re-draft" award. Mavs stole one there.

How about KP for the "Making the Knicks look stupid award"?
Like Reply
(10-18-2019, 11:50 AM)audiosway Wrote: How about KP for the "Making the Knicks look stupid award"?

done!
Like Reply
(10-18-2019, 11:50 AM)audiosway Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 10:57 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Blah blah blah... Big Grin
Brunson looks just like I thought he would. THJ is exceeding expectations for sure. Brunson should get the "lottery pick in a re-draft" award. Mavs stole one there.

How about KP for the "Making the Knicks look stupid award"?
And they could have gotten Brunson instead of DSJ...
Like Reply
(10-18-2019, 09:15 AM)fifteenth Wrote: ***
Preseason Awards

EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS AWARD: Tim Hardaway JR

LOTTERY PICK IN THE RE-DRAFT AWARD: Jalen Brunson

MAKE THE KNICKS LOOK STUPID AWARD: Kristaps Porzingis 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll start us off. 

The EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS AWARD goes to:

Tim Hardaway Jr!!!!

THJ is playing really well. He's playing nothing like what we all (or mostly) expected. He's shooting and driving in rhythm, playing within the offense and not shot hunting. He looks relaxed, quick and springy. His decisiveness is helping and not hurting. 

So far, so great. Well done, THJ. 

Based on all we've said about him before the last couple of games, just thought he should get some recognition for playing so well.

Alrighty then pal, let's see all this in the regular season!

I wonder at what point they discovered that stress fracture in his leg 
He probably should have been sidelined months earlier 
For better or for worse I think that was his main issue last year after joining the team. Yeah he was forcing some bad shots but he was also missing a ton of open shots he should have been making if he was right
Like Reply
(10-18-2019, 12:34 PM)Jym Wrote: I wonder at what point they discovered that stress fracture in his leg 
For better or for worse I think that was his main issue last year after joining the team. Yeah he was forcing some bad shots but he was also missing a ton of open shots he should have been making if he was right

yeah, true

so how about an award Jym? Who do you nominate and what's the award called?
Like Reply
(10-18-2019, 12:36 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 12:34 PM)Jym Wrote: I wonder at what point they discovered that stress fracture in his leg 

yeah, true

Best Defense on Guys A Foot Shorter Than Him: Maxi Kleber 

He just needs to work on guarding centers
Like Reply
Heat and Soul of the Team Award goes to Barea...overcame a nasty injury just like he overcame size and perception out of college...Luka's best friend, NBA champ, locker room leader, never complains about minutes or whether he starts or not...
Like Reply
I don't know if anyone remembers, but after the trade for THJ I pronounced that he would be better than Barnes and also a candidate to start next to Luka. I was miserably disappointed once he started playing and was so confused. The stress fracture has explained most everything. I am very hopeful that he can be a sixth man now. He is starting to look like the player I thought he would be in RC's system.

The "GOOD BUT TIMID TEAMMATE Award" goes to....

....Delon Wright. 

I appreciate him not disrupting chemistry by trying to be an alpha and have been happy as he has gotten more aggressive. I think in a month or two he will really begin hitting his stride.
Like Reply
(10-18-2019, 01:22 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The "GOOD BUT TIMID TEAMMATE Award" goes to....

....Delon Wright. 

I appreciate him not disrupting chemistry by trying to be an alpha and have been happy as he has gotten more aggressive. I think in a month or two he will really begin hitting his stride.

gotcha down!

Hey Kam, I won't be here much this weekend...feel free to update the OP with awards if you so desire!
Like Reply
The "I am very tall for my age" award goes to Boban!

The "On the floor half the game" award will have to be game by game between Boban and KP.

The "Capping the ball (block) without his feet leaving the ground" award goes to Boban.

The "I thought he was a doughy, slow, no-defense playing white boy" award goes to Luka.
Like Reply
(10-18-2019, 12:50 PM)Jym Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 12:36 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

yeah, true

Best Defense on Guys A Foot Shorter Than Him: Maxi Kleber 

He just needs to work on guarding centers

Feels like he is the best wing/guard defender on the team. Was clearly the best option against Giannis and even better against Kawhi. Makes me wonder how much more important length, positioning and timing can be compared to lateral quickness.
Like Reply