Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.82 Average
HALLELUKA: Luka Clinches All-NBA 1st team. 4th in 5 years
(03-02-2023, 01:17 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Luka needs to actually take an offseason.

Next offseason there is no international competitions. So 2024/2025 season should be the one. He will also be 26 by then. If I would bet on him winning the MVP, that is the season.
Like Reply
(03-02-2023, 08:13 PM)bodhisattva Wrote: Next offseason there is no international competitions. So 2024/2025 season should be the one. He will also be 26 by then. If I would bet on him winning the MVP, that is the season.
 2024 is Olympic year - summer olympics in Paris. Well we will see if SLO national team will qualify  Big Grin .
Like Reply
luka ain't winning mvp until we become a contender tbh, at least we gotta finish top 4 for luka to be a legit mvp candidate. it seems unlikely this season since jokic and his team are so damn good.
Like Reply
(03-03-2023, 03:33 AM)BobyM Wrote:  2024 is Olympic year - summer olympics in Paris. Well we will see if SLO national team will qualify  Big Grin .

True. My bad.
Like Reply
15 techs already. So ridiculous. This is just a lost season. Stupid off-season = Angry Luka. The Mavs and Luka need to get their shit together so this disaster doesn’t happen again.
Like Reply
The name of this thread Luka is nowhere close to leaving the Mavs is the farthest thing from the truth. They mortgaged the future for Kyrie, and if he walks along with Wood,  I don't see a clear path going forward to get better the next two seasons and if that happens Luka won't be here.
Like Reply
(03-06-2023, 07:08 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: The name of this thread Luka is nowhere close to leaving the Mavs is the farthest thing from the truth. They mortgaged the future for Kyrie, and if he walks along with Wood,  I don't see a clear path going forward to get better the next two seasons and if that happens Luka won't be here.

Chill. If Kyrie walks, it will probably in a sign-and-trade. So we should get at at least a useful role player in return. Wouldn't a sign-and-trade be necessary anyway for the taker to acquire Kyrie's bird rights and to be able to pay him as much as we can? Maybe someone here knows more about that. However, a sign-and-trade is also very likey because the teams Kyrie would be interested in would need to clear massive cap space to acquire him.

Furthermore, we will get Finney-Smith back as a wing defender in the next two seasons. Mark my words.
Like Reply
(03-06-2023, 08:38 AM)Time Machine Dirk Wrote: Chill. If Kyrie walks, it will probably in a sign-and-trade. So we should get at at least a useful role player in return. Wouldn't a sign-and-trade be necessary anyway for the taker to acquire Kyrie's bird rights and to be able to pay him as much as we can? Maybe someone here knows more about that. However, a sign-and-trade is also very likey because the teams Kyrie would be interested in would need to clear massive cap space to acquire him.

Furthermore, we will get Finney-Smith back as a wing defender in the next two seasons. Mark my words.

Chill. If Brunson walks, it will probably in a sign-and-trade. So we should get at at least a useful role player in return. Wouldn't a sign-and-trade be necessary anyway for the taker to acquire Brunson’s bird rights and to be able to pay him as much as we can? Maybe someone here knows more about that. However, a sign-and-trade is also very likey because the teams Brunson would be interested in would need to clear massive cap space to acquire him.

Not the same exact situation I know.  Also not sure Mavs could do a SnT because they are running out of 2nd rounders to throw in for no reason because they are the leagues worst negotiators. 
Like Reply
(03-06-2023, 08:38 AM)Time Machine Dirk Wrote: Chill. If Kyrie walks, it will probably in a sign-and-trade. So we should get at at least a useful role player in return. Wouldn't a sign-and-trade be necessary anyway for the taker to acquire Kyrie's bird rights and to be able to pay him as much as we can? Maybe someone here knows more about that. However, a sign-and-trade is also very likey because the teams Kyrie would be interested in would need to clear massive cap space to acquire him.

You chill. Is it a guarantee you get DFS back?  Uhh, no. Unless you know something we don't, I'd say it's highly unlikely. They should have done an S&T for Brunson and lost him for nothing. The same thing could happen with Kyrie.  Dallas is in a tough spot.
Like Reply
(03-06-2023, 10:35 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: You chill. Is it a guarantee you get DFS back?  Uhh, no. Unless you know something we don't, I'd say it's highly unlikely. They should have done an S&T for Brunson and lost him for nothing. The same thing could happen with Kyrie.  Dallas is in a tough spot.

I agree...Dallas is in a tough spot.   It makes it even more difficult considering Kyrie's contract and his unreliability.   

Although I can argue if Kyrie resigns and is stable, a competent front office can make the right moves to build around those two.  It shouldn't be a long process either.  Finding the stars is the part of the process that is the hardest.
Like Reply
If Im going to hate on THJ...I have to hate on Luka and Kidd.

The incessant step back 3's at the end of quarters by Luka are a horrible look.   Kidd allowing it is a bad look.  Give the damn ball to Kyrie and let him cook with his speed over that trash shot.  Luka cant help himself...he has to take it for some reason.   Kinda like how Wood has to peacock for a second after every play he makes instead of getting back on the other end of the floor.  Makes not sense at all.

Also...Luka acting hurt/labored so he doesnt have to run back and defend or is lazy at defending is pretty old.  I guess you have to live with that when youre dealing with maybe the best offensive player ever.   But...its just a bad bad look not wanting to play defense.   I know he is good at it and will provide effort in playoffs...but reg season half assing is a turn off.

There is so much that can be corrected with this team but isnt.  I guess its to gaslight.
Like Reply
(03-06-2023, 10:35 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: You chill. Is it a guarantee you get DFS back?  Uhh, no. Unless you know something we don't, I'd say it's highly unlikely. They should have done an S&T for Brunson and lost him for nothing. The same thing could happen with Kyrie.  Dallas is in a tough spot.

No guarantee. Just a feeling because he seemed to be very good friends with Luka. I also wouldn't think it's highly unlikely. He is just a role player and can be acquired in a trade - especially if Brooklyn maybe goes full rebuild at one point.

Kyrie and Brunson are totally different situations. If you don't pay Kyrie then you don't pay anybody except Luka. Cuban will pay Kyrie the full max - as he did with KP. (only Kyrie is definitely worth it from a Basketball point of view)
Like Reply
(03-06-2023, 10:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I agree...Dallas is in a tough spot.   It makes it even more difficult considering Kyrie's contract and his unreliability.   

Although I can argue if Kyrie resigns and is stable, a competent front office can make the right moves to build around those two.  It shouldn't be a long process either.  Finding the stars is the part of the process that is the hardest.

I wouldn’t get cute with the Kyrie contract situation.  The Mavs can give him more money for longer. Just do that.
[-] The following 2 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • audiosway, MFFL
Like Reply
(03-06-2023, 07:08 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: The name of this thread Luka is nowhere close to leaving the Mavs is the farthest thing from the truth. They mortgaged the future for Kyrie, and if he walks along with Wood,  I don't see a clear path going forward to get better the next two seasons and if that happens Luka won't be here.

It's 2 weeks old but it's a quote from Jake Fischer after the Kyrie trade. Fischer definitely has his sources, although I will say I use to not believe him.

I don't see the doomsday scenario that you're seeing. Kyrie wants his 4-5 year max. Literally the only team that can offer that is Dallas. Lakers would have to sign and trade either Lebron, AD, or 3 guys on their roster (and then they're stuck with merry minimums).

PHX has to trade 2 of CP3, Ayton, Booker, or KD to avoid hard cap issues. 

Any other team is tanking. If Wood walks, that's an asset wasted, but I'm not losing sleep over losing Wood.

Edit: I will say though, the only out-of-nowhere tanking team that could have a shot is Houston, if the Harden to Houston rumors are to be believed. That long embrace after the PHI win between Kyrie and Harden stood out to me. I hope it's nothing though.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-06-2023, 03:16 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's 2 weeks old but it's a quote from Jake Fischer after the Kyrie trade. Fischer definitely has his sources, although I will say I use to not believe him.

I don't see the doomsday scenario that you're seeing. Kyrie wants his 4-5 year max. Literally the only team that can offer that is Dallas. Lakers would have to sign and trade either Lebron, AD, or 3 guys on their roster (and then they're stuck with merry minimums).

PHX has to trade 2 of CP3, Ayton, Booker, or KD to avoid hard cap issues. 

Any other team is tanking. If Wood walks, that's an asset wasted, but I'm not losing sleep over losing Wood.

Edit: I will say though, the only out-of-nowhere tanking team that could have a shot is Houston, if the Harden to Houston rumors are to be believed. That long embrace after the PHI win between Kyrie and Harden stood out to me. I hope it's nothing though.

I don't see it as anything but window dressing. Harden and everyone else knows Kyrie can flake out at anytime, so I doubt he wants to go down that road again. Hopefully he's on his best behavior while he's here, but his reputation is already sealed.
Like Reply
(03-06-2023, 03:56 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I don't see it as anything but window dressing. Harden and everyone else knows Kyrie can flake out at anytime, so I doubt he wants to go down that road again. Hopefully he's on his best behavior while he's here, but his reputation is already sealed.

Reputations ebb and flow.  The public will excoriate a player, then after, perhaps, an apology, sufficient time, and good performance, flip-flop back.

Diamond Powell?  A year ago, was the WORST player ever.  Just check the message boards.

Tiger Woods?  Seems to have made a pretty good comeback.

Kobe Bryant, after the "Colorado" incident?  A despicable human being.

Or, the reverse...

How high was Ja Morant's stock a couple of weeks ago?  And now?

Mavs were smart to buy low on Kyrie.

The public is fickle.
[-] The following 4 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, MFFL, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
Crazy how a guy who is playing through an injury and putting it on the line, while averaging 34/8/8 on 50/35/70 has fallen out of favor that quick.

Luka is the engine. He's hurt. Insane to me anyone is even considering about THINKING about a trade, let alone actually discussing one.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
Regardless of what happens this season the Mavs are still building toward a contender. It doesn't happen overnight. The WCF last year was a step in the right direction. They have Kyrie and need to just not get cute and resign him this summer. Then, they need wings and front court players. They need another trade cycle I think before they can contend.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
(03-06-2023, 04:24 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Diamond Powell?  A year ago, was the WORST player ever.  Just check the message boards.

Took dummies way too long to figure out that we need to give him another 4/44 and erect his statue next to Dirk.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
It's pretty simple.

Nelson -> Johnson -> Carlisle

Carlisle -> Kidd -> ???
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply