Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 4.5 pt RAPTOR & 5.0 pt Vegas dogs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
55.56%
5 55.56%
Sixers
44.44%
4 44.44%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
GAME 31: DAL (15-16) @ PHI (22-11) | 97-111 loss
Simmons and his teammates really ate Luka alive tonight.  Luka made some really tough shots to get his points and shows how good he is.  But they made his life a living hell tonight.   He turned the ball over all night and got his teammates very few open looks.  Mavs were sloppy, but Philly deserves a lot of credit.   

Just a bigger, more physical and more athletic team.    Mavs need to build their team that can beat teams like the Sixers, Jazz, Lakers, etc.  I am a fan of skill over beef, but our finesse big man are not the answer.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 09:43 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Philly deserves a lot of credit.

PHI is on a WHOLE different tier than the Mavs. The Mavs really do look like a fringe playoff team. Which is incredibly sad at this point. And I do not think "patience" is the answer on this one.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 09:45 PM)Kammrath Wrote: PHI is on a WHOLE different tier than the Mavs. The Mavs really do look like a fringe playoff team. Which is incredibly sad at this point. And I do not think "patience" is the answer on this one.

We looked like a lottery team tonight.  In no way, shape or form can these team compete with contenders in the East or West.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 09:45 PM)Kammrath Wrote: And I do not think "patience" is the answer on this one.

I find it real funny that you, who was preaching patience whole "summer", is now all for panic moves. Mavs chose the rookie way instead of trading those picks for quality players. You wanted it too. So here is the logical result. Be patient now, give the team time to develop. Selling KP for pennies on the dollar or going into another rebuild are not the options. Unless there will be a great offer that will make Mavs better now, KP will be here to stay.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 09:51 PM)omahen Wrote: I find it real funny that you, who was preaching patience whole "summer", is now all for panic moves. Mavs chose the rookie way instead of trading those picks for quality players. You wanted it too. So here is the logical result. Be patient now, give the team time to develop. Selling KP for pennies on the dollar or going into another rebuild are not the options. Unless there will be a great offer that will make Mavs better now, KP will be here to stay.

Odds of KP getting traded are low.  Can we at least play the rookies?
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 09:53 PM)cow Wrote: Can we at least play the rookies?

They are playing them, big minutes Smile  

On a serious note - no, they should not play rookies. Mavs want to make playoffs. Rookies would not really help a lot with that goal. It is just one loss against a good team. Mavs are 7-3 in last 10 games. Philly is an excellent team, one of the contenders. Mavs are not a contender.

I actually thought they played very good defense tonight against a very physical team. Sloppy offense killed their chances. And the fact that our bigs are mostly a non factor on offense. Guard line played decent game again, but there is just no danger from backcourt guys. In the end I think they didn't have the energy to turn it around.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 10:00 PM)omahen Wrote: They are playing them, big minutes Smile  

On a serious note - no, they should not play rookies. Mavs want to make playoffs. Rookies would not really help a lot with that goal. It is just one loss against a good team. Mavs are 7-3 in last 10 games. Philly is an excellent team, one of the contenders. Mavs are not a contender.

I actually thought they played very good defense tonight against a very physical team. Sloppy offense killed their chances. And the fact that our bigs are mostly a non factor on offense. Guard line played decent game again, but there is just no danger from backcourt guys. In the end I think they didn't have the energy to turn it around.

I still think we'd have an outside shot at the playoffs while giving Green/Bey burn in the big boy league.  If you miss the playoffs at least you've developed those guys.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 10:04 PM)cow Wrote: I still think we'd have an outside shot at the playoffs while giving Green/Bey burn in the big boy league. 

The goal is to make step forward, not step back. Outside shot at the playoffs is a step back. They were giving them chance (at least Green), but result is more important now. Unfortunately Covid disaster crashed those developing plans, as Mavs got to a hole they need to dig out of. I remain positive, Mavs are improving and mostly play well
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 10:09 PM)omahen Wrote: The goal is to make step forward, not step back. Outside shot at the playoffs is a step back. They were giving them chance (at least Green), but result is more important now. Unfortunately Covid disaster crashed those developing plans, as Mavs got to a hole they need to dig out of. I remain positive, Mavs are improving and mostly play well

Goals are wonderful and all but this team has an outside shot at the playoffs as is.  This team isn't taking a step forward.  They might be able to equal last years success but a top 4 seeding or getting out of the first round is highly unlikely.  I also can't imagine the minutes we waste on Powell and Burke wouldn't be better used on Green and Bey (rookie mistakes and all).  You could also leverage the same complaints against DFS (last three games), THJ (every other game) and JRich.  If those guys are having off nights, play the rookies more.

Our quality wins during the win streak were GSW and Boston which aren't close to being contenders either.  We need to be somewhat forward looking for once.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 09:51 PM)omahen Wrote: I find it real funny that you, who was preaching patience whole "summer", is now all for panic moves. Mavs chose the rookie way instead of trading those picks for quality players. You wanted it too. So here is the logical result. Be patient now, give the team time to develop. Selling KP for pennies on the dollar or going into another rebuild are not the options. Unless there will be a great offer that will make Mavs better now, KP will be here to stay.

1) You don't think anything has changed since the summer?

2) I have NEVER suggested doing a "panic move"...I have continually said trading KP this summer is the SOONEST you do it.  Stop projecting your narrative onto my words, please. Unless you think trading KP in four months is a "panic move" then in that case we disagree on the definition of "panic."

3) By "patience" I am suggesting the belief that if the Mavs can just hold this team together for the next 1 to 2 years as is and they will grow into a contender. I believe I have seen enough to know that these parts with the current coaching aren't going to grow into that (and that small changes aren't going to be enough). So like I have said over the last month or so, something has to give and some sort of shake up is needed....roster or coaching. Something.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 10:21 PM)Kammrath Wrote: 1) You don't think anything has changed since the summer?

I know a lot of things happened that made objective problems for this team. That's why it is way too soon to pass a final judgement, imho.

(02-25-2021, 10:21 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I have NEVER suggested doing a "panic move"...I have continually said trading KP this summer is the SOONEST you do it.  Stop projecting your narrative onto my words, please. Unless you think trading KP in four months is a "panic move" then in that case we disagree on the definition of "panic."

Well, you said patience is not the answer. One can understand many different things what this could mean. You are also constantly posting KP "fake injury trade conspiracy theories". So please stop being so damn touchy, if someone can't fully catch what "patience" means in your vocabulary, if you don't provide the full explanation as you did now. Could we just have a conversation without accusations about who is projecting what on someone? If I didn't understand you correctly, explain and thats it...
Like Reply

What quality players would the MBT of all front offices got for the 18th and 31st picks?  

The rookies were the correct choice. I am not giving up on them yet. This whole garbage of how we are in a win now mode and not building correctly has hurt this team ever since the title. 

Luka is ready to win now.  KP’s regression has immensely hurt the team.  However you cannot give up on the draft to get retread veterans.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 10:30 PM)omahen Wrote: a conversation without accusations

Dude you started by laughing at me for wanting to do "panic moves." Follow your own advice, please. You came after me, leave me alone if you don't like my comments.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 10:30 PM)omahen Wrote: constantly posting KP "fake injury trade conspiracy theories"

I have spitballed a couple times on possible scenarios....not "constantly." Get over yourself.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 10:32 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: Luka is ready to win now.  KP’s regression has immensely hurt the team.  However you cannot give up on the draft to get retread veterans.

I'm not sure Luka is ready to win now.  He's improved in some areas over last year but has also regressed in a few other areas.  He certainly hasn't taken another leap.  Further, the league isn't ready for him to win yet.  You probably need LeBron/Curry/Durant/Harden to be post-prime or retired (~4 Years).  And even further, Luka's team isn't even lose to being ready to win right now and not even if KP was playing the best ball of his career.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 10:35 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Dude you started by laughing at me for wanting to do "panic moves."

See, how easy it is to project your narrative onto someone elses words... I didn't laugh at you, I said I find it funny. You took my comment the wrong way and came back guns blazing.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 10:46 PM)omahen Wrote: I didn't laugh at you, I said I find it funny

Is English your first language? Serious question.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 10:32 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: What quality players would the MBT of all front offices got for the 18th and 31st picks?  

The rookies were the correct choice. I am not giving up on them yet. This whole garbage of how we are in a win now mode and not building correctly has hurt this team ever since the title. 

Luka is ready to win now.  KP’s regression has immensely hurt the team.  However you cannot give up on the draft to get retread veterans.

You missunderstood me. I accept Mavs chose the "rookie way". Which means, we have to be patient and let this team grow and develop. Changing this strategy now would certainly be a mistake, totally agree. Unless of course something great appears.

(02-25-2021, 10:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Is English your first language? Serious question.

No it isn't. I thought it is known I am from Slovenia
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 10:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Is English your first language? Serious question.

Not sure if I should be flattered that you didn't know I am not a native speaker or offended by your narrative that my English is not good Smile And please, I am just joking.

Written conversation is difficult because you can't catch a tone in which the sentence was written. You can say "I find it funny" in many different tones, imho. I was not trying to be offensive.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 11:00 PM)omahen Wrote: Not sure if I should be flattered that you didn't know I am not a native speaker or offended by your narrative that my English is not good Smile And please, I am just joking.

Written conversation is difficult because you can't catch a tone in which the sentence was written. You can say "I find it funny" in many different tones, imho. I was not trying to be offensive.

Better than mine and it is my native language.  What's the popular joke again...what do Europeans call someone who only speaks one language?
Like Reply