Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs Rookies G-League Watch: Green, Terry, Bey & Hinton
TBey highlights....

https://twitter.com/nbagleague/status/13...5276339200
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-9GWnfQ14E
Like Reply
(02-26-2021, 04:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The hypothetical player you're describing is a significant and winning player in the NBA.

No shit?  You can say the same thing about Hinton or Josh Reaves.  If they can turn into Wes Mathews or Danny Green, Hooray.

The problem is we drafted a guy at 18 that neither has a high ceiling or is polished.  A guy that's a long term project just to be a 3 and D player shouldnt be picked that high.  

If we were redrafting picks 18-30, there's probably 8-9 guys I'd take over Green.
Like Reply
(02-27-2021, 12:35 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: No shit?  You can say the same thing about Hinton or Josh Reaves.  If they can turn into Wes Mathews or Danny Green, Hooray.

The problem is we drafted a guy at 18 that neither has a high ceiling or is polished.  A guy that's a long term project just to be a 3 and D player shouldnt be picked that high.  

If we were redrafting picks 18-30, there's probably 8-9 guys I'd take over Green.

At this point Green would need to be the next Klay Thompson. Saddiq Bey looks like a legit 3&D starting wing right now.

10/4/1. Shooting 42/41/84. 60% TS. For the season.
13/5/2. Shooting 49/46/87. 68% TS. 13 games in february.

Obviously not sure if he would have developed like this for the Mavs but it´s depressing to think that the Mavs could have drafted a guy that probably would be the best 3-point shooter on the roster by now.
Even more depressing because most posters on this board couldn´t believe that he was still available at #18. I think he was by far the most popular prospect in the 10-20 range among Mavs fans.
Like Reply
(02-27-2021, 01:26 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Even more depressing because most posters on this board couldn´t believe that he was still available at #18. I think he was by far the most popular prospect in the 10-20 range among Mavs fans.

As someone who knows jack shit about prospects, he was by far the most popular name thrown out that would be in the Mavs draft range.
Like Reply
(02-26-2021, 04:41 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Man I just dont see it with this guy.  He just took a bunch of contested, terrible, mid range jumpers where he couldnt create any separation.  He's kinda young I guess (20) compared to guys like Justin Anderson is about the only nice thing I can say.

I hope I'm wrong.

I was about to say the same thing. All the shots he took were shots he'd never get in an NBA game. Not only because of how NBA defenses work, but because I doubt he'd have the skill to even do it at that level anyways.

Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic with Green but he just looks too much like Justin Anderson for me to be comfortable.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I will say I feel the opposite about Tyler Bey as I do about Josh Green.

T.Bey is raw for sure, but he's been legit everywhere in all the highlight videos I've seen. Super active on offense and defense and just doing all the small things. 

I hope when he gets recalled that RC actually gives him a defined role with clear expectations and consistent minutes. Doesn't have to be a lot. 5-10 a game. But consistent.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-27-2021, 01:45 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I was about to say the same thing. All the shots he took were shots he'd never get in an NBA game. Not only because of how NBA defenses work, but because I doubt he'd have the skill to even do it at that level anyways.

Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic with Green but he just looks too much like Justin Anderson for me to be comfortable.

On a bit of a weird note, there are just guys out there that don't look like they have an NBA body.  Justin Jackson is the most recent guy I had that feeling about, I just hated his posture.  You can tell Josh is an athlete but it looks like he's playing the wrong sport, at least offensively.

And that's not to say that's going to determine success as plenty of players burned out who looked like they had the perfect makeup for the NBA.
Like Reply
(02-27-2021, 01:26 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: At this point Green would need to be the next Klay Thompson. Saddiq Bey looks like a legit 3&D starting wing right now.

10/4/1. Shooting 42/41/84. 60% TS. For the season.
13/5/2. Shooting 49/46/87. 68% TS. 13 games in february.

Obviously not sure if he would have developed like this for the Mavs but it´s depressing to think that the Mavs could have drafted a guy that probably would be the best 3-point shooter on the roster by now.
Even more depressing because most posters on this board couldn´t believe that he was still available at #18. I think he was by far the most popular prospect in the 10-20 range among Mavs fans.

This along with our FA signings and moves the last 2 offseasons has me concerned about this front office.
Like Reply
(02-27-2021, 01:26 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Saddiq Bey looks like a legit 3&D starting wing right now.
He's the D part of that equation? I thought that was the knock on him.
Like Reply
(02-27-2021, 01:11 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: This along with our FA signings and moves the last 2 offseasons has me concerned about this front office.
I've long been a member of "Make Donnie great again" by moving him to the head scout guy.
Like Reply
Need to ask with al the Bey fans, how is his defense? I mean how is his defense?? It's probably hard to say becouse it doesn't show in the boxscore..
Like Reply
(02-27-2021, 01:17 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: He's the D part of that equation? I thought that was the knock on him.

Hard to tell but he isn´t a liability. Plumlee is the Pistons version of KP and he is still starting. The entire starting five is looking bad when he is on the floor but next to Stewart they have a really good defensive rating.
Compared to Mavs players. SImilar to Luka he isn´t the quickest and cannot stay in front of smaller guards but he is better than DFS against bigger wings.
Like Reply
Jonathan Givony lists Tyrell Terry as one of the prospects who have a cause of concern.

https://i.redd.it/ip6qwu7e51k61.jpg

A few things:
Givony and Schmitz and the Ringer are in a little bit of a turf war on Terry and also Killian Hayes.  The Ringer (Kevin O'conner) were much higher on both than ESPN+.   Givony has taken a few veiled shots on both of these takes.    So remember that when you read this.

Second, Givony and Schmitz are both very good.  I don't want to make conclusions on any prospects yet.  But I think they had the better takes that both Terry and Hayes are going to need time and were not top tier prospects right now.   I think the League agreed more with these takes as well.  

Third, the hard part for Dallas is making the right pick (hope they did for all three of their picks) and then being patient.   Some rookies are making good impressions  drafted outside the top 10, but most are going to need time.   You want to see your rewards for being patient in year 3 and 4.   Dallas has not drafted very many intriguing prospects who need to be developed.   I have hardly been excited about any.   Now, Dallas needs to develop these guys and be patient.  I am sure they realized both Green and Terry were going to be long range guys.   Trading either now would be a waste of resources.   They have the most value either before the pick is made or when they are ready to play down the road.   Right now, they would just be throw ins imo.
Like Reply
(02-27-2021, 02:09 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Jonathan Givony lists Tyrell Terry as one of the prospects who have a cause of concern.

https://i.redd.it/ip6qwu7e51k61.jpg

A few things:
Givony and Schmitz and the Ringer are in a little bit of a turf war on Terry and also Killian Hayes.  The Ringer (Kevin O'conner) were much higher on both than ESPN+.   Givony has taken a few veiled shots on both of these takes.    So remember that when you read this.

Second, Givony and Schmitz are both very good.  I don't want to make conclusions on any prospects yet.  But I think they had the better takes that both Terry and Hayes are going to need time and were not top tier prospects right now.   I think the League agreed more with these takes as well.  

Third, the hard part for Dallas is making the right pick (hope they did for all three of their picks) and then being patient.   Some rookies are making good impressions  drafted outside the top 10, but most are going to need time.   You want to see your rewards for being patient in year 3 and 4.   Dallas has not drafted very many intriguing prospects who need to be developed.   I have hardly been excited about any.   Now, Dallas needs to develop these guys and be patient.  I am sure they realized both Green and Terry were going to be long range guys.   Trading either now would be a waste of resources.   They have the most value either before the pick is made or when they are ready to play down the road.   Right now, they would just be throw ins imo.
Who are the other guys on the list?
Like Reply
(02-27-2021, 01:51 AM)cow Wrote: On a bit of a weird note, there are just guys out there that don't look like they have an NBA body.  Justin Jackson is the most recent guy I had that feeling about, I just hated his posture.  You can tell Josh is an athlete but it looks like he's playing the wrong sport, at least offensively.

And that's not to say that's going to determine success as plenty of players burned out who looked like they had the perfect makeup for the NBA.

You can say the same thing about Bron that his body type doesn’t look suited for basketball. Yet he is one of the all time greatest. 

I am not as down on Green as many of you are. It was not like he was dog crap when he got a chance here. There were games he looked good and games he looked terrible. In short he looked like a young rookie. He plays hard and seems strong and athletic. Yes his offensive game looks like it has ways to go but if you are looking for a 3D player then all you need on offense is the ability to hit 3 pt shots. We don’t hear any complaints that DFS is limited offensively and Green already looks like he has more tools offensively that he has, however raw those might be right now. 

As for S Bey, one of the knocks on him was that he might be very close to his ceiling already. The draft is a crapshoot and the Mavs might be totally wrong on that but it was not as if there was zero logic in taking Green over S Bey.
Like Reply
(02-27-2021, 02:09 PM)Chicagojk Wrote:  

A few things:

Really glad you are posting here now Chi JK
Like Reply
Let's be honest we're all a bunch of morons still getting worked up over rookies.Unless I'm completely off, Josh Howard is the only Mavs pick of the last 20 years that even survived his rookie contract. Another example of the sad state of this franchise.
Like Reply
(02-27-2021, 03:22 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Let's be honest we're all a bunch of morons still getting worked up over rookies.Unless I'm completely off, Josh Howard is the only Mavs pick of the last 20 years that even survived his rookie contract. Another example of the sad state of this franchise.

I'm King Moron, thank you very much.

Crazy Prediction:  Beyond the obvious Luka, Brunson and Bey buck that trend.
Like Reply
(02-27-2021, 03:29 PM)cow Wrote: You don't think Bey will make it beyond his rookie contract? 

I never said he wouldn't. I think all three of JG, TT, and TBey will make it beyond a rookie contract. My opinion.
Like Reply