Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs Rookies G-League Watch: Green, Terry, Bey & Hinton
Green and Bey were on NBA TV today. Green does the same thing he does for the Mavs. Plays defense and runs to the corner. Ball mover. Doesn’t seem to read the game on offense yet. Plays physical. 

Bey is a force but he’s playing in the post and G League guys don’t defend. He can look good when his defender closes out out-of-control. He can get to the rim. His shot doesn’t look too hot though and he still has a very high loose handle.

Green has a better shot of playing now I think. His game is simple. 

Bey is super toolsy. If he’s smart and reigns in that jumper he could be a longer and more disruptive DFS.
Like Reply
[Image: EvWIm9yWgAAqDcL?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
Difference between Hinton, Green and Terry is that Hinton knows his role no matter the level of competition. He is a 3&D, rebound and hustle guard/wing. That´s what he did in college. That´s what he did in the few minutes he played for the Mavs. That´s what he is doing in the g-league.
Terry is still trying to figure out his role. PG v SG. Catch and shot v shot creation. Ideally he will be able to do all of that in the future but that´s not a given.
Green can defend but compared to Hinton he has no role on offense. 3-point shot isn´t falling and he is not a shot creator. Looking at his highlights he is getting some ballhandling duties but it´s not working.
Like Reply
(02-28-2021, 08:41 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Difference between Hinton, Green and Terry is that Hinton knows his role no matter the level of competition. He is a 3&D, rebound and hustle guard/wing. That´s what he did in college. That´s what he did in the few minutes he played for the Mavs. That´s what he is doing in the g-league.
Terry is still trying to figure out his role. PG v SG. Catch and shot v shot creation. Ideally he will be able to do all of that in the future but that´s not a given.
Green can defend but compared to Hinton he has no role on offense. 3-point shot isn´t falling and he is not a shot creator. Looking at his highlights he is getting some ballhandling duties but it´s not working.

3 pt shot can be developed. Players like Raja Bell, Bowen came first with their defense before finding their niche as 3 pt shooters on offense. While it is true that there is no guarantee he can develop a consistent 3 point shot at least there is precedent there and he is still very young. Players who are poor defenders OTOH never turn into good defenders.
Like Reply
(03-01-2021, 11:23 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Players who are poor defenders OTOH never turn into good defenders.

That's not true.

Two quick examples:

1) JJB was one of the worst defenders in the whole NBA and eventually figured out how not to be a liability.

2) Ben Simmons was a poor defender coming out of college and has now developed into the best perimeter defender in the NBA IMO. 

Shooting can be learned, defense can be learned. It just takes the right dedication and focus.
Like Reply
(03-01-2021, 11:39 AM)Kammrath Wrote: 1) JJB was one of the worst defenders in the whole NBA and eventually figured out how not to be a liability.
Even if this is true, "not a liability" is not "good".

However, I think a player can learn to play good team defense, good on ball is really hard to learn.
Like Reply
(03-01-2021, 11:39 AM)Kammrath Wrote: That's not true.

Two quick examples:

1) JJB was one of the worst defenders in the whole NBA and eventually figured out how not to be a liability.

2) Ben Simmons was a poor defender coming out of college and has now developed into the best perimeter defender in the NBA IMO. 

Shooting can be learned, defense can be learned. It just takes the right dedication and focus.

You can improve on team defense. One on one JJB was still a liability. 

Also are we just arguing for the sake of arguing? Bottom line is Green is a 20 year old who even his detractors concede can defend. So why throw things on the wall as far as ball handling and finishing with the off hand if all you are looking for is a a 3D player?  No one holds lack of offensive versatility against Wes or Bowen or Danny Green or other 3D types.  He needs to become a consistent 3 pt shooter. Other things offensively are a bonus.
Like Reply
(03-01-2021, 12:19 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: He needs to become a consistent 3 pt shooter. Other things offensively are a bonus.

Yeah, the quickest way onto the floor is for his catch and shoot game to reach DFS level, roughly. Maybe he can become more well rounded over time, but to get his defense on the floor, he needs to become a dependable shooter.
Like Reply
Green's jumper mechanics don't look like they need to be completely reworked (when you play high school ball at a place like IMG Academy, you're getting high level coaching) and he shot 78% from the line in college.   There's reasons to believe his shot will 3 point shot will get to NBA average for a wing, it's just a matter of hours and reps in the gym.   He's like 1.5 years behind Bey in getting in his "10,000 hours".    Isn't that why Morey traditionally likes upper classmen who played against big time competition?    So many of these guys are already off their cheap rookie contract number by the time you've polished them up to be NBA contributors (that's assuming they're not on the wrong side of the bust rate).
Like Reply
(03-01-2021, 02:56 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Green's jumper mechanics don't look like they need to be completely reworked (when you play high school ball at a place like IMG Academy, you're getting high level coaching) and he shot 78% from the line in college.   There's reasons to believe his shot will 3 point shot will get to NBA average for a wing, it's just a matter of hours and reps in the gym.   He's like 1.5 years behind Bey in getting in his "10,000 hours".    Isn't that why Morey traditionally likes upper classmen who played against big time competition?    So many of these guys are already off their cheap rookie contract number by the time you've polished them up to be NBA contributors (that's assuming they're not on the wrong side of the bust rate).

But when you are drafting in the teens you have to take chances on upside. That’s how you can hit on a Giannis. Use FA to get safe choices. Teams like the Mavs that have a hard time getting a major talent to come to them in FA need to take some chances in the draft.
Like Reply
rough stat line for Terry tonight.   No idea if he is still dealing with an injury that kept him out of last game, but you certainly would hope for better numbers from him.     All these games with limited rest is grueling but you need to bring it every night.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/redditmavericks/stat...7143529473
Like Reply
My timelines and expectations for Green and Terry are different.  Terry is a future projection pick.   I will be surprised if he helps next year.   The hope is you drafted a guy a year too early and get the benefits in year 3-4.

Green was a former 5 star recruit, had a pretty good Freshman season and is a strong, athletic player already.   My benchmarks for him are two San Antonio players: Keldon Johnson and Lonnie Walker.  Green has similar athletic talents than those two.   Walker is in his third year now and is making a nice little leap.  Johnson is in his second year and played most of last season in the G-League until he showed up and played well in the bubble.   He has also made a leap this year.

I won't say it will be bustville for Green if he is not getting consistent minutes next year, but I will view it as a negative sign.  I am looking for similar growth for Green as Lonnie Walker, Keldon Johnson and the Suns Mikal Bridges (who played three years in college, but took him about a year and a half in the pros until you saw a jump).
Like Reply
Nice games for Bey and Green currently. Together with Yogi. Mavs new biG league 3.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/redditmavericks/stat...9233611783

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1366933418550956033
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcY6Qj9DCk
Like Reply
(03-02-2021, 09:36 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcY6Qj9DCk

That dunk was nice.  Hope he works on that right leg kick out on his jumpers.  I've already seen him fall because of it.
Like Reply
(03-02-2021, 09:36 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcY6Qj9DCk

I guess the midrange pull up game is an improvement but I don´t think he will get those kind of shots in the NBA. Highlights are obviously a terrible way to judge a player but I just don´t see how any of the things he did today translate to the NBA. He certainly won´t get as many uncontested dunks or layups.
He needs to improve his 3-point shot. He already has the cutting ability (good timing) but without a jumpshot that´s not going to be enough.

I know I am a bit hard on him but he was a first round pick. The expectations are higher. If I had to rank the Mavs rookies right now I would take both two-way players over Green and Terry. They might not have the upside but they look like they could be of use in limited minutes / a limited role. Bey as a rebounder/garbage man. Hinton as a 3&D hustle player.
Like Reply
(03-02-2021, 10:08 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Hinton as a 3&D hustle player.

So what makes you so much more confident in Hinton's 3 than Green? In limited sample size Hinton is shooting 36% and Green 30% in GLeague, and then 20% for Hinton and 16% for Green at the NBA level. Both shot 36% for their careers in college.
Like Reply
(03-02-2021, 11:50 PM)Kammrath Wrote: So what makes you so much more confident in Hinton's 3 than Green? In limited sample size Hinton is shooting 36% and Green 30% in GLeague, and then 20% for Hinton and 16% for Green at the NBA level. Both shot 36% for their careers in college.

Mostly the volume and willingness to take 3s. Sample size is to small to make any definite calls on their shooting ability but after todays game Green is 3/13 (23%). Hinton is 14/38 (37%). Green obviously only played 5 g-league games but he is not looking like a willing shooter. Hinton on the other takes nearly 50% of his FGA from 3-point range. He is not passing up open 3s. Even taking some semi contested ones.

College numbers are telling the same story. Green obviously only played one shortened college season but he never was a high volume 3-point shooter. More of a "leave him wide open and he will take the shot" kind of guy. Hinton always embraced his role as a 3&D/hustle role player. He also improved his 3-point percentage in his 2nd college season.

I am not saying that Green will be a bad shooter in the future but right now Hinton looks more NBA ready (more doesn´t mean that he is actually good enough to play meaningful minutes). Green is younger and has more upside.
Also don´t think that the Mavs really care. Terry and Green might be projects but they are on guaranteed deals. That creates a hierarchy. Green will make more than 10m in the next 3 years. Hinton could be waived at any given moment without any consequences. Hinton and Bey would need to do something special to change the hierarchy. Right now they are playing slightly better. That´s not enough.
As long as everyone stays healthy they won´t get any NBA minutes any way so they might as well focus on the guys that will be on the payroll for the next 3-4 years.
Like Reply