Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 134, Warriors 132
(02-08-2021, 01:58 PM)mtrot Wrote: Agreed.  I hear RC exhorting the guys to move the ball, but that's not enough, as you can pass the ball around the perimeter and not accomplish anything.  And you can move the ball in to KP at the corner of the FT line, but if he just passes the ball right back out to the perimeter, you probably didn't accomplish anything and you wasted precious shot clock time.

What the Mavs urgently need is coaching on effective player movement, and early in the shot clock.  Cutting without the ball, setting effective screens, things like that.  I think Luka is great at getting the ball to guys, but they have to move.

If Offensive Game Plan A revolves around little player movement...and that plan seems to be ineffective on a particular night...having a Plan B that requires a little bit more movement from players at worst gives you more attacking options.
Like Reply
Agree with @"Kammrath" about Josh Green. He has size and hustles. He makes mistakes but it is not like the others are not making mistakes offensively and defensively. If he is so bad that he cannot get on the floor then Donnie needs to answer. 

As for movement off the ball, it is hard for me to blame RC. The team’s offense is still the same as was last year. Justin and Delon both caught defenses napping plenty of times. Cutting in a freestyle offense, which is what the Dallas offense looks like, is 100% on the players.  Most probably if you go and look at wherever these guys have played before, they have not done this well before either.  

You can question RC for some other things but I don’t believe you can coach someone to read defenses and time cuts.  Maybe he can coach to have a cut and go to the opposite side with everyone else sliding one spot to take the cutter’s spot but the cut itself is a read play on the offensive player than on the coach.
Like Reply
(02-07-2021, 10:14 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I would shave all 5 mins from TB....get about 5 from DFS....5 from JR and THJ combined. Give him 15 mins right there. I just think he is so essential to develop right NOW because he might need to replace THJ or JR next year.

I would like to see Green get more time as well but I think his offense is holding him back with RC.  In games that he has played at least 15 minutes, he is averaging 3.6 points on 41% overall and 9% from 3pt.  He is a plus on defense but hard to hide on our team right now with our inconsistent offense.
Like Reply